Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 03:41 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,940,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgardener View Post
Just wondering what people's perceptions of quality and appropriate prices for that are?
I've worked in the furniture industry, with designers, and been a consumer; so I have my own opinions. Working in stores and with designers I've heard many different opinions of what quality is and what things should cost (these expectations are not always equal).

To me a good quality sofa has a kiln-dried hardwood frame, 8-way hand tied or quality coil system, high quality foam or down wrapped foam, choice of welting /french seams, and choice of good quality fabrics. It should be a piece that lasts for more than a decade; it should be able/ worth it to be reupholstered when the fabric wears out/goes out of style.

For a standard 3 over 3, 72" sofa that generally translates to $1400 minimum if not $2000. I think you can get something nice for less than that, but it won't have a long life or you'll have issues with parts of it wearing out.

An upholstered chair of good quality will probably run $800 to $1200.

A dining table $900-$1500, solid wood.

Bed Frame with headboard will run $800-$1200

Dresser with dovetail joints, solid hardware, and attractive finish will run $800-$1500

These all just estimates for full retail price pieces, you could certainly spend more, but I feel spending significantly less leaves with a poor quality product. I'm posting this to see what your opinions are. Are there other pieces for the home you have a price or quality opinion of? Prices certainly vary depending on geographic location and sale prices.
As a rule of thumb, are Macys furniture considered good quality ?
A couch set with hardwood frame and pine (Oak or Maple, is it all the same quality? ) , is that the equivalent to kiln dried hardwood ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 03:58 PM

11,409 posts, read 7,724,091 times
Quote:
I agree that buying something less expensive if you are going to change it out every few years is fine. What I disagree with are the $4,000 and $5,000 numbers that are being brought up. You can buy a good quality sofa from Lee Industries, Mitchell-Gold, or a similar furniture maker for much less. A good quality sofa with a good frame can start in the $1,200 to $1,400 range. Size, fabric, details (French seams, skirt, upholstery tacks), and down filling are often the only differences between a $1,400 and a $4,000 sofa. Even just fabric: put a high quality mohair velvet on $1,400 sofa and you might just hit the $4,000 mark.
I agree. Spending 4 to 5K is not necessary for good quality. I'm lucky because I live in NC and we have many quality furniture manufacturers and I always buy from NC manufacturers. I buy custom so I can choose the style, fabric, composition of the cushions, trim etc. I don't think I've ever bought an upholstered piece right off the floor. Even in NC, it's getting harder to find stores where you can order custom. Many have closed in the last few years, but since I'm in NC I always have the option of going to the Furniture Market in Hickory.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 PM

4,149 posts, read 6,839,060 times
Yep. I spent most my life in NC growing up too and now that we live in SC, I still get most of our new furniture from NC-based places. Second-hand places + reupholstery can obviously be a great option as well.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 PM

204 posts, read 907,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
As a rule of thumb, are Macys furniture considered good quality ?
A couch set with hardwood frame and pine (Oak or Maple, is it all the same quality? ) , is that the equivalent to kiln dried hardwood ?
Is it Macy's store brand or was there a brnd/manufacturer's name? You want a kiln-dried hardwood frame, so oak or maple is good (hardwoods), but kiln drying reduces the wood's moisture content which helps to lessen the chance of warping or splitting.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:32 PM

4,149 posts, read 6,839,060 times
I've never bought it but I've heard mixed stories on Macy's from people who have. The general consensus? It's decent.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM

I did a quick search to try and find information about furniture from Macy's. I've heard that their furniture is decent (I don't really like them as a company in general so I'll try not to be biased). Looks like their store brand is made by multiple manufacturers (not sure who) and the same with Ralph Lauren (who they carry). The Martha Stewart Collection is made by Berhardt, which is decent. The Paula Deen brand is made by Universal, who I know nothing about.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,903,269 times
Quote:
Is it Macy's store brand or was there a brnd/manufacturer's name? You want a kiln-dried hardwood frame, so oak or maple is good (hardwoods), but kiln drying reduces the wood's moisture content which helps to lessen the chance of warping or splitting.
We found a Lane dining room set at Macy's and turned around and bought it from a North Carolina outlet that shipped and installed it. The set is 25 years old and is in as fine a shape as the day we bought it. It is all solid hardwood, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

If the OP is looking for furniture to last several generations there really is no substitute for well crafted hardwood construction. Wow, looking on their website, Lane on longer seems to make dining room furniture.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
We found a Lane dining room set at Macy's and turned around and bought it from a North Carolina outlet that shipped and installed it. The set is 25 years old and is in as fine a shape as the day we bought it. It is all solid hardwood, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

If the OP is looking for furniture to last several generations there really is no substitute for well crafted hardwood construction. Wow, looking on their website, Lane on longer seems to make dining room furniture.
Thank You for your recommendation, I'm the OP, I'm happy you are still enjoying your dining room set after all these years. You're a testament to what I was talking about. I'm not currently in the market for anything as my current apartment couldn't handle any more furniture, but maybe another person reading this will be able to take your suggestion. I posted this to gauge what qualities other people value in their choice of furniture and what they are willing to pay or what they perceive market value to be. Since I've worked in furniture stores and with designers I know what quality costs, but I'm often confronted with others who don't have an accurate perception of cost vs. quality. Thanks for adding to the discussion, I hope more people continue the conversation.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM

832 posts, read 2,510,011 times
My wife and I bought furniture for a new room in our house recently. We wanted 4 club chairs, sectional rug and an ottoman. We drove around the Raleigh, NC area one afternoon in search of these pieces and were very frustrated after looking through about 8 stores. We finally ended up at Bassett furniture and the consultants there were very helpful and we bought everything from them. Now, I am by no means an expert on furniture, but the club chairs we bought were around $900 each. We were seeing the same type of chairs in the $500 each range at places like Home Comfort and other local stores. Everything at Bassett seemed to be very high quality to us, but I couldn't tell you specifically what the differentiators are. We received the furniture and are very happy with it so far. The consultant actually came out to our house and made sure the dimensions of the room fit well with the furniture we picked out. Was impressed with the extra effort, which we had never seen before by going to the other chains. So, not sure if I helped, but Bassett is probably what I personally would consider higher end quality furniture, but this is simply from a homeowner perspective.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,892,220 times
I would buy antiques from your local antique shops or craigs list and spend from 500-1000 per piece. Maybe 3000 for the gem of your collection. You will likely end up with better furniture than anything you could buy new, and furniture that will hold it's value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating