Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM

204 posts, read 911,249 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what people's perceptions of quality and appropriate prices for that are?
I've worked in the furniture industry, with designers, and been a consumer; so I have my own opinions. Working in stores and with designers I've heard many different opinions of what quality is and what things should cost (these expectations are not always equal).

To me a good quality sofa has a kiln-dried hardwood frame, 8-way hand tied or quality coil system, high quality foam or down wrapped foam, choice of welting /french seams, and choice of good quality fabrics. It should be a piece that lasts for more than a decade; it should be able/ worth it to be reupholstered when the fabric wears out/goes out of style.

For a standard 3 over 3, 72" sofa that generally translates to $1400 minimum if not $2000. I think you can get something nice for less than that, but it won't have a long life or you'll have issues with parts of it wearing out.

An upholstered chair of good quality will probably run $800 to $1200.

A dining table $900-$1500, solid wood.

Bed Frame with headboard will run $800-$1200

Dresser with dovetail joints, solid hardware, and attractive finish will run $800-$1500

These all just estimates for full retail price pieces, you could certainly spend more, but I feel spending significantly less leaves with a poor quality product. I'm posting this to see what your opinions are. Are there other pieces for the home you have a price or quality opinion of? Prices certainly vary depending on geographic location and sale prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 02:49 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgardener View Post

How much does good quality furniture cost?
About 3 times as much as the junk sold in most stores.

Quote:
72" sofa that generally translates to $1400 minimum if not $2000.
Dresser with dovetail joints, solid hardware, and attractive finish will run $800-$1500
I think you need to put those numbers into the sort of perspective that anyone can relate to.

eg The solid wood dining table offered by so and so for $300 to $500...
could cost you $900-$1500 if you shop at this and that company instead.
Then describe why.

How's that?

Old 01-26-2013, 03:09 PM

4,213 posts, read 6,902,367 times
Quote:
Just wondering what people's perceptions of quality and appropriate prices for that are?
I've worked in the furniture industry, with designers, and been a consumer; so I have my own opinions. Working in stores and with designers I've heard many different opinions of what quality is and what things should cost (these expectations are not always equal).

To me a good quality sofa has a kiln-dried hardwood frame, 8-way hand tied or quality coil system, high quality foam or down wrapped foam, choice of welting /french seams, and choice of good quality fabrics. It should be a piece that lasts for more than a decade; it should be able/ worth it to be reupholstered when the fabric wears out/goes out of style.

For a standard 3 over 3, 72" sofa that generally translates to $1400 minimum if not $2000. I think you can get something nice for less than that, but it won't have a long life or you'll have issues with parts of it wearing out.

These all just estimates for full retail price pieces, you could certainly spend more, but I feel spending significantly less leaves with a poor quality product. I'm posting this to see what your opinions are. Are there other pieces for the home you have a price or quality opinion of? Prices certainly vary depending on geographic location and sale prices.

There are LOTS of factors to consider here. Things like the fabric can really skew the cost. In general, the ranges you supplied are actually fairly decent though if you are just looking at ballpark numbers without giving any real detail. You can get high-quality items with all the major boxes ticked and a decent fabric in the price ranges you specified for a chair and a sofa for instance. However, beyond that it really is a case-by-case approach to determine the quality and if the price warrants it.

Also, I like to reupholster old pieces and can often get great construction at a cheaper price than buying new depending on the type of piece and the condition it was in and the price I got (antique mall vs consignment shop vs thrift store etc.)

Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 PM

18,387 posts, read 19,012,572 times
Quote:

the problem with any sofa even the 8 way hand tied, the fabric will wear out faster than the frame. either your kids spill dirt on it or uncle john gets his hair grease all over it. reupholstering if you are "over" the style of the sofa isn't an option. sometimes spending more for a better quality doesn't make sense because of the factors I just mentioned. fro a middle class family, with children a sofa with kiln dried wood, decent foam and springs can be had for 1200 to 1600 bucks.

again not everyone wants to bother reupholstering.

An upholstered chair of good quality will probably run $800 to $1200. most people buy to the best of their bidget, for some this is a very expensive chair. there are plenty of manufactures that aim to appeal to mid america and they make a decent product for less money. course if you can afford to buy at this price range all the better. how ever that is relative as people with real money would consider a chair for 1200 buck pretty low end.

A dining table $900-$1500, solid wood. a veneered table can cost just as much as solid wood and be quality. a veneered table can be made with a design in the table that is hard to accomplish with a solid wood.

Bed Frame with headboard will run $800-$1200 this also depends on the size of bed you are buying as well. add several hundred dollars for a king size

I disagree that spending less will get you a poor product, spending significantly less sure does. plenty places sell a 400 dollar sofa and a 300 dollar queen mattress set. yes that is crap however a 1200 dollar sofa will do a family just fine for many years. most upholstery only last about 6 to 8 years anyway before you are either tired of it or it is so dirty you want to buy a new one

Old 01-26-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I disagree that spending less will get you a poor product, spending significantly less sure does. plenty places sell a 400 dollar sofa and a 300 dollar queen mattress set. yes that is crap however a 1200 dollar sofa will do a family just fine for many years. most upholstery only last about 6 to 8 years anyway before you are either tired of it or it is so dirty you want to buy a new one
As I said spending significantly less will get you a poor quality product. Certainly you can spend a hundred or two hundred less than some of those estimates and get something well made.

Thank you so far for all the responses, I realize not everyone is interested in reupholstering and might be fine with junking a sofa once it outlives it's usefulness. You can certainly get great quality pieces on sale or buy gently worn items from a resale shop or estate sale.

There have been some threads I've read where people talk about buying a sectional for $600 or an upholstered chair from Target for $200 and I'm just think to myself wow, that is going to fall apart in a few years especially if there are kids and dogs.

Part of it may be my upbringing; my mother taught me that if you couldn't afford quality, you saved until you could buy something that would last. I realize that isn't practical for everyone, our house always had a bit of a Spartan feel, but I don't think you should waste money on something that's not going to hold up to wear and tear.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
There have been some threads I've read where people talk about buying a sectional for $600 or an upholstered chair from Target for $200 and I'm just think to myself wow, that is going to fall apart
in a few years especially if there are kids and dogs.
The same people who will buy laminate flooring and want to call it hardwood.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 PM

Default Specific Brands

Are there any brands you think are quality?

Specific stores?

Have you had anything custom made? Either custom ordered an upholstered piece or had a carpenter/furniture maker build tables, cabinets, or beds?

On the other hand, which companies or popular retailers do you think sell poor quality items?
Or companies that charge a lot for poorly made goods?

Last edited by jgardener; 01-26-2013 at 05:28 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 04:21 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
Well SO paid around 16k for a huge king sleighbed, armoire, tall dresser, and 2 night stands. Custom made.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:22 PM

18,387 posts, read 19,012,572 times
Quote:
As I said spending significantly less will get you a poor quality product. Certainly you can spend a hundred or two hundred less than some of those estimates and get something well made.

Thank you so far for all the responses, I realize not everyone is interested in reupholstering and might be fine with junking a sofa once it outlives it's usefulness. You can certainly get great quality pieces on sale or buy gently worn items from a resale shop or estate sale.

There have been some threads I've read where people talk about buying a sectional for $600 or an upholstered chair from Target for $200 and I'm just think to myself wow, that is going to fall apart in a few years especially if there are kids and dogs.

Part of it may be my upbringing; my mother taught me that if you couldn't afford quality, you saved until you could buy something that would last. I realize that isn't practical for everyone, our house always had a bit of a Spartan feel, but I don't think you should waste money on something that's not going to hold up to wear and tear.
I agree I too think a 600 dollar sectional is crap. you can literally feel the difference in the "sit" of a quality sofa verses a cheap one. I just thought for the average joe your prices were a tad too high.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I agree I too think a 600 dollar sectional is crap. you can literally feel the difference in the "sit" of a quality sofa verses a cheap one. I just thought for the average joe your prices were a tad too high.
They may be, I personally have a very tight budget, but I'm not shelling out for other expenses like a car or children like the average person might be. So I understand how those prices might seem a little inflated.

My sofa is Mitchell-Gold and I have a custom made coffee table (currently used as bench). My bed is currently Ikea, until I can afford something better. I used to have a custom bed, I really only paid for the materials as a friend built it, but it was a pain to move (I move a lot) and I cracked part of it so I gave the wood (cherry) to a friend who was a wood worker.

Dining table is an old Saarinen Tulip oval top that a friend gave me and a wrought iron base I bought of Craigslist. My dining chairs are old Bertoia chairs an architect's office was getting rid of. So I don't think everything has to cost a lot, I just prefer quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating