Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM

28 posts, read 58,868 times

Advertisements

I need to buy a few new pieces of furniture (most importantly an upholstered bed) and I am a little overwhelmed with the amount of furniture stores now that the internet has just opened up a huge new realm! The catch of course is like most folks, I do have to watch what I spend. In the past I have always relied on Pottery Barn, because of their classic look, but I have heard the quality may have gone down?

What are your go to labels/stores/brands for furniture that will last for awhile (or least kids and dogs for a few years.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM

204 posts, read 905,536 times
What city or area are you in? What is your budget? Do you like modern, traditional, transitional, or something else?

I'll give a list of a few retailers and brands and I (or another poster) can narrow it down later. I'll list inexpensive and expensive options and as such, varying levels of quality.

Ikea
West Elm
Restoration Hardware
Design Within Reach
Lee Industries
Blu Dot
Room and Board
Mitchell-Gold
Crate and Barrel
Baker
Holly Hunt
Jayson Home
Gump's
1st Dibs
Benhardt
Ethan Allen
Drexel
Cisco Brothers

I could go on, but I'll wait until you give some detail on what you're looking for and I'll give some specific suggestions or descriptions of quality based on that.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 PM

Thanks jgardener!

We are right outside Wilmington, NC. Budget...well if it wall possible I would like the bed to be under $1500. Our style is pretty simple and traditional. That is why I have always gravitated towards pottery barn.... some would say boring, but I like things calm and casual.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM

204 posts, read 905,536 times
Ok, that nrrows it down a bit. Restoration Hardware has a lot of options for upholstered beds and half of them are in your price range. Ethan Allen has a couple options and Crate and Barrel has several as well. Bernhardt has a bunch of upholstered beds as well, but I would check online for the closest retailer as they don't post pricing on their website (since they are a manufacturer and not a retailer).

Most of the other names I mentioned either don't carry traditional or are way over budget.
I would've posted websites, but I'm on my phone, so it is a little difficult. Definitely check out those websites, there may be something that works.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,839,379 times
I recommend visiting local stores that have good reputations for value and service. We just moved to a new area, and we needed to buy some basic pieces that we lacked. We visited several local stores. Finally we found a store that dealt in solid wood furniture, classic styles and who were easy to work with. I too love Pottery Barn style, but I probably would not buy wooden furniture from them. I certainly would not order from them. I'd want to see how the drawers are constructed, what the back looks like, that sort of thing.

We've been examining furniture for a long time, and we know some things to check for. Pick the brains of any knowledgeable sales person, and keep asking questions. Take your time choosing. Buy as good as you can afford.

There should be several sources for an upholstered bed. Really think about the material you choose, whether it will wear well over time, etc. You might have the bed for 20-30 years. (I owned a bed from 1970 untill 2012. It was a Drexel. I did get tired of it.) (I am not talking about the mattress, but the headboard and bed frame.) Buy wisely.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 AM

Thank you both! -Annie

Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,813,020 times
I don't think you can get better than Drexel Heritage at semi-reasonable prices. My entire house is comprised of 1950s Drexel furniture and it's not only stood the test of time, but stood the test of style as well. From what I've encountered, even the new Drexel Heritage furniture is superb. I suggest visiting their website and locating a store which stocks Drexel near you.

If I ever have to buy new furniture or need additional items, there is no doubt in my mind that I'll be staying loyal to the Drexel brand. It's beautiful!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:53 PM

13,229 posts, read 22,596,167 times
If you're okay with ordering furniture over the web (or live nearone of their handful of bricks & mortar stores) I'll give a big thumbs up to Room & Board.

Modern Furniture - Room & Board

Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 AM

832 posts, read 2,505,484 times
We've had good luck with Bassett furniture, I would put it on the same level as Ethan Allen and Pottery Barn. Maybe a little better depending on what you're getting. There's a re-seller in your area, Custom Home Furniture Galleries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating