Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,343 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm very confused and need some advice/opinions! The more I look at my armoire, the more I think that maybe it's 1) too big for the space it's in- also in proportion to the size of the chairs and sofa 2) too dark, due to the way the light comes into my house and the fact that I already have rather dark blue paint on the walls

Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out whether I repaint the armoire in a different color- if so, which color? (it's distressed wood underneath the shiny laquer, so not sure how much work/hassle it would be, or if it's an easy DIY project?)....or maybe because of the size, I should stick it in my master bedroom (which is fairly large and very bright and sunny- something black would look very nice in there, imo) and save up to buy a smaller armoire for this space between the windows?

Any other helpful hints would be appreciated, too. I'm just beginning- don't even have any artwork or crown-moulding or whatever. And as you can tell- I love color- I even would love to have a lime green sofa but my mom does her best to reign me in! lol

Here are some photos:

678A0597_zps1fabadcb.jpg Photo by Xica_da_Silva3 | Photobucket

678A0599_zps09e23a80.jpg Photo by Xica_da_Silva3 | Photobucket

678A0599_zps09e23a80.jpg Photo by Xica_da_Silva3 | Photobucket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
If there is room and it will look nice in the bedroom, go ahead and move it there. I was going to recommend trying it in the corner, but that's not really doing to solve the problem. It really is too big for the other pieces of furniture in the room, including the table, along with being too big for the spaces between the windows. I don't think painting it will be the answer because painting won't change the size of it.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Hmmm. To me it just looks odd placed where it is -- maybe because the windows on either side of it are so different. I would try it in the corner with a larger chair next to it (in front of a window) to see if that helps with the "proportion" problem. You might need to move some of the other furniture as well, though, e.g. angle some of it. Hard to tell from the photos.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:46 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I think it's just to big, dark and bulky to be placed between the windows.
The corner suggested by Karen seems to be much better option. ( Across the corner ), or the wall to the right?
Also level it a bit with some other tall furniture/plant/lamp, so it does not stand there all alone.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
What a lovely armoire! Please, please, please dont paint it. I agree that it looks too large for the rest of the living room furniture and might look better in your bedroom (depending on your furniture there).

Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I agree with those who said it would be better in the corner, between the similar windows.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
As I said, I considered the corner, but I don't think it will work. It seems too big, and the one window is closer to the corner than the other window.

But it's worth a try. Can you move it and post another picture from far across the room?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:14 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,343 times
Thanks everyone for the responses! I'm actually glad to had my hunch confirmed...but I'm so mad at myself for buying it to begin with...it was on sale and I couldn't resist! Oh well. Although, I have no idea how I'm going to move a piece of furniture that large anywhere- forgive my being so green, but is there something else beyond me hiring a couple of brawny guys to do it? Some sort of trick for a 120 lb. weaking female?

Hopes and others, I agree that it's worth a shot trying to move it to the corner as a first step. I don't even think it will really fit in the bedroom the more I think about it. But maybe. The room is about 16 ft. x 15 ft...with a queen size bed, 2 night-stands, a medium size chest, and nothing else. So maybe it could go in a corner in there.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:24 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
Is the room done? No curtains or drapes? I think that's why it stands out so much. I like your wall color.

If the room is done then it might look better painted a white or off white so it blends in with your colors and try moving it to the corner. Then it will more match the door, and will anchor the wall with the door on one end and the armoire on the other end. Here is my sample on your photo. I might have the armoire a little crooked and it's not the same one but you can get the idea.

Is it very heavy to move? Get some of those gliders they really work well and it looks like tile on the floor so it might slide better than on carpet.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with My Armoire?-armoire.jpg  

Old 02-09-2013, 11:42 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses! I'm actually glad to had my hunch confirmed...but I'm so mad at myself for buying it to begin with...it was on sale and I couldn't resist!
It's beautiful!! I would be glad to have it!

Quote:
Oh well. Although, I have no idea how I'm going to move a piece of furniture that large anywhere- forgive my being so green, but is there something else beyond me hiring a couple of brawny guys to do it? Some sort of trick for a 120 lb. weaking female?
Buy furniture slides:
Amazon.com: EZ Moves II Furniture Slides, 4-Pack: Home Improvement
Empty the armoire, then invite your co-worker, friend, family or neighbor, to help you slide them under the armoire. You will be amazed how easy is to slide it around on those slides.

Quote:
Hopes and others, I agree that it's worth a shot trying to move it to the corner as a first step. I don't even think it will really fit in the bedroom the more I think about it. But maybe. The room is about 16 ft. x 15 ft...with a queen size bed, 2 night-stands, a medium size chest, and nothing else. So maybe it could go in a corner in there.
When empty and on slides, you can try different locations in your house, till you find the perfect place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating