U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 102,541,080 times

Advertisements

I love almost everything about this set except the fabric on the chairs, the mirrors in the back of the cabinet and the glass table top.

I can change the fabric and eliminate the glass in the cabinet, but is there something I can do about the glass table top?

Dining Room Table, 6 Chairs and Hutch
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 AM

4,898 posts, read 17,719,529 times
so i assume you also want to get rid of the wood detail in the glass table that matches the chairs?

the only thing that comes to mind at the moment is either tiles which you would have to stick to maybe a piece of plywood in a pattern you like and then insert into the edge the glass is resting on. or a piece of solid serface, either wood, granite or laminate cut to size. for instance a thin countertop materal would work.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 AM

4,898 posts, read 17,719,529 times
also if you want to get rid of the mirror in the back of the cabinet, you can paint it. i suppose you can do that with the glass all around too. but i would keep that--its a very pretty set.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 AM

2,431 posts, read 5,265,150 times
Hmmm. LOVE the chairs -- the back is really unique. Agree with you about the fabric.

Honestly, I would try to mix and match -- find another hutch and table that go with the chairs -- are there several lines from the same manufacturer?

For a hutch, I would prefer an actual hutch -- little counter top with shelves/cabinets above and below. Or something up on legs. Even if you got rid of the mirror, I think I'd still prefer wood shelves.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 AM

10,444 posts, read 47,789,945 times
Your buns might be comfortable on those seats but that back will be very rough on your back. They won't be chairs one can spend much time on before wanting to crash on the sofa,

Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 AM

24,849 posts, read 33,933,839 times
I like it ok, but you might just keep looking for something you like better. I'd be afraid of ruining it in the process of making those changes.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 29,450,231 times
^^ Agreed. Unless you're an expert with tools, it's going to be difficult to cut tile or pieces of plywood to fit those spaces perfectly. Better to just find something you like from the get go.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 AM

501 posts, read 1,400,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I like it ok, but you might just keep looking for something you like better. I'd be afraid of ruining it in the process of making those changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
^^ Agreed. Unless you're an expert with tools, it's going to be difficult to cut tile or pieces of plywood to fit those spaces perfectly. Better to just find something you like from the get go.
Agree with the above posts. It is a pretty set but do you really want to spend alot of money on it when you don't like some major things about it like the mirror on the back of the hutch and the glass tabletop? I think you should keep looking.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 PM

5,548 posts, read 5,643,437 times
I don't normally like glass top tables, but with the curved wood pieces beneath the glass, I think it's beautiful. But if you hate the glass, perhaps it could be painted with one of those kits that are for refinishing formica countertops. They have a granite look and various other looks. Or possibly paint or adhere something to the bottom side of the glass? If you painted the underneath side, you wouldn't have to worry about it getting scratched by plates, etc.

I think it's a truly lovely set (other than the fabric, which of course can easily be changed). I'd go for it!!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 102,541,080 times
Thanks for the responses!

I wish I could wait for the perfect set that doesn't need to be changed. That will require buying new. My local Craig's List doesn't often have quality furniture. My region is very frugal. People don't buy new stuff until it's outdated or destroyed. This set is in one of the city's more elite townships, where Theresa Heinz and John Kerry live.

If I was putting it in a dining room, the glass top wouldn't bother me because the inlay is gorgeous. I'm trying to find a big table for my very large kitchen I am currently remodeling. The glass top just won't look right there. I was hoping I could make it less fussy.

What I love about it is the chairs and the cabinet. If I eliminate the mirrored back and added wood shelves, I'd use the cabinet as a bookcase in my family room. I like the idea of using the chairs with a different table, but I'm not paying $1500 for chairs and a cabinet, especially since it will be very difficult to find a table that would look good with the chairs.

There's only one other set for sale right now that I like: Dining Room Set I only like the table and chairs, not the china cabinet since I don't need a china cabinet. Of course, I'd change the fabric on the chairs again. My main problem with this set is that I don't want high back chairs again. I hate how they break up a room and make it difficult to see the table setting. Plus, even though I love French Country, it's not the direction I was trying to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating