Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 07:17 PM

568 posts, read 1,200,501 times

Advertisements

Some of you may recall from an earlier post that I've got a large armoire that didn't quite fit the space I had it in in the living room. A few here suggested at least trying to move it into the corner...so I did that today(neck a little stiff but I'll survive!). I'm still not sure if it works...I had to move some furniture around to accomodate it, and I also have to move my sofa/coffee tables out of the way so I could take photos. But at least this will give something of an idea. I also felt compelled to rest a painting on top of the red chair just to give it a little more visual interest (although it's not a painting that I'll keep there so I didn't bother to hang it or anything...so just imagine a future painting hanging there someday...but a bit higher than in the photo! lol).

My main beef: I can't get the armoire at a feasible angle that allows me to open the plantation shutter next to it more than about 60 degrees. Not sure if that's bad feng shui or not...but it's a tricky space! Also, I don't like the way the cable/electric outlets appear off to the side.

Your thoughts...ideas...suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Armoire Update-img_1235-800x482-.jpg   Armoire Update-img_1231-800x463-.jpg   Armoire Update-img_1232-800x614-.jpg   Armoire Update-img_1236-800x529-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,662,571 times
That looks much better there. You can use a potted plant to hide those outlets.

Love the colorful artwork. I'd hang it in a different location. You don't want to draw attention to that small wall space between the two windows.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,182,552 times
I like the armoire there, too. I also like the picture where you have it, (not quite on the chair though. LOL)

Would it be too tacky to paint the outlet covers the same color as the wall? That would give a smaller footprint to them and they might be less obvious that way. I know they're selling outlets and covers in different colors now, but I doubt there are any which match your wall. You'd probably have to change all the other switches, outlets and covers to match then, too.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:37 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,178,525 times
Yes that looks nice in the corner. Too bad about the shutter not working. If you need it to open would you consider hinging the middle and let it open to the right? Otherwise I don't know what you will do. Unless you just open only the right half of the shutter.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,946,563 times
Agree with Hopes. I like the armoire in the corner. The gorgeous picture belongs on a larger wall. Leave some vacant wall space in your room. Between the windows could easily remain blank. The picture deserves a grander presentation on a larger wall.

Beautiful colors in your room!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:56 AM

Thanks all for the positive feedback! So far it looks like it's a thumbs-up on the armoire being in the corner...even better since my muscles are a bit sore from moving it...haha just kidding. It wasn't that bad.

As for the painting, I was originally planning on putting it in my guest bedroom someday (especially since the woman in the painting seems to be in a state of repose or reverie?), but who knows where it will end up? lol. I must say I'm thrilled that others like it; I know art is subjective but I'd be very happy if those who visit my home feel a sense of warmth and welcome (or even amusement) conveyed through the pieces that I select.

Yeah...the outlets...I'll figure something out. Either conceal them as Hopes suggests or try to paint them as CheyDee mentions (or maybe swap them out for a non-white color). Maybe I can bribe one of my kitties to sit in front of it?

Kayekaye...regarding the shutter, it will actually open on both sides...just not a full 180 degrees for the side (it splits/opens from the middle) closest to the armoire...but I don't usually have it open that much anyhow. This might be a bit of a trade-off...if I move the armoire further away from the window, then the angle of the armoire won't be as symmetrically aligned with the wall corner. I could even technically push the armoire flat against the side wall so it's perpendicular to that window(and that would actually solve the outlet prob, too!), but then I feel like it would look more like a bulky appendage rather than a focal point. Hmmm...I'll have to think on it some more...

Old 02-25-2013, 01:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,662,571 times
You could try moving the armoire flat against the wall that it's angled on, instead of having it in the corner. It's a wider space of wall than it previously had. You'd have to rearrange your furniture so the seating you prefer to watch TV from is facing it though, but it would solve the shutter issue.

Love the vibrant colors in the painting. Definitely a keeper. I wouldn't hide that in a guest bedroom. It looks great with your wall color and everything else you own. Just give it a bigger wall space. Leave those little spaces between your windows bare wall. Putting something between that small wall space makes the wall space smaller.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 AM

Hi Hopes!

Thanks! I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try the armoire against the wall- I'll give it a test next weekend and perhaps post pics. There is also another corner which is the one closest to my kitchen cabinets- and it actually has more room than the corner it's in currently...and would have no blockage of windows, etc. I could try that, too. Perhaps that would help tie it in more with the black appliances I've got in the kitchen (ultimately, I'd love to have a mostly black and white kitchen, if I can pull it off, since I need to think of that open space holistically- I have to keep reminding myself that just because I see something I like in a magazine doesn't mean it will work with what I've got! lol).

Also, I agree that the painting seems to go well with the blue wall color as well as the other items in the room- in fact, I've already got a particular larger spot in mind. And I'll leave the wall between the windows bare as you suggest. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating