Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 03:38 PM

48 posts, read 85,646 times

Advertisements

I am at loss as to what to put above the bed! We just moved into an apartment and i'm slowly putting together the guest room. The first thing you see as you enter is the wide window. As we are making the room multifunctional (guest/office), I put the small desk and computer tucked in the right corner of the room behind a small wall structure. I was going to put the guest bed in the center of the room, centered with the window, but that would make the room seem far too small. So, I put the bed on the left corner and put a small table with lamp to the right. My plan is to cover up as much wall on either side of the window with curtain, but the longest rod (of my preference) would only cover up to about half way on either side of the window..which is fine. I was planning on putting a small dresser to the right of the window, against the far right wall and make it used as a vanity/dresser..so I was planning on putting that baroque style mirror above it. the wall to the left of the bed is rather large and empty and I want there to be something to liven up the plain white wall. Since it's an apartment, we cannot paint it (darn!) but i'm always willing to put a few nails here and there! any suggestions as to what I should put in the narrow space above the bed and to the left of it?? any help would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 04:25 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Any chance you can turn the bed 90 degrees?

Old 02-28-2013, 04:49 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Firstly, if you wish to have drapes across the window wall, you can easily find a rod treatment that will allow you to do that online. You have the option of a ceiling mount or wall mount.
If you feel that the best placement of the bed, while you are using the room as an office, is where it is now, use the drapes as the backdrop, and when you have a guest, shove the bed to the center of the window.
We can't really see the rest of the room, so it's hard to really give a good opinion.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:17 PM

890 posts, read 2,280,012 times
Could you move the bed beneath the window but turn it with the long side against the wall, kind of like a daybed? Then you could put the small side table to one side of the mattress and place the dresser against the left wall. It would balance the room (right now it looks "off"with the bed to one side) but not let the mattress extend into the room and make it feel smaller

Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 AM

I've tried putting the bed up against the window like a day bed but it's a full size bed and it would leave the us and the guest little room to walk...
I know there are wall mounts, etc but I like the antique look of the rods I purchased so I really would like to use them. they cover half way on both walls on either side of the window.
I apologize, I took the picture a little later in the day so it's pretty dark. heres pictures from different angles: (it looks so disheveled because of move-in ):

Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Is that bed with a head board or without? If no headboard, I would be tempted to hang the drapes and center the bed under the windows and buy a couple of bolsters to give it a day bed look. I would then use the rest of the room as an office. You don't say how often you think you will need it as a bedroom so I say if more office than guest room make it as functional for your daily use as possible.

Also, what are the dimensions of the room?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 AM

no headboard which is why i'm not sure as to what put above it. unfortunately, I can't put it as a daybed centered under the window because the bed would come up to about an inch from the desk. i'm putting drapes that cover both sides of the window so the walls on either side of the window will be covered. I have a large wall to the left of the bed, as shown in the first out of three pictures of my recent post. im not sure as to what to put there? I would LOVE to put it as a day bed but the bed would just cut the entire room in half... dimensions are approx. 10 ft x 7 ft. not very big

Old 03-01-2013, 10:44 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
IMO the bed really needs to be moved, not shoved against a wall. If you have a couple using it, one has to climb over the other if getting up during the night, earlier, etc.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM

14 posts, read 13,937 times
You can place your table on the corner opposite of your bed (beside your head) and then place a small self on your bed beside your head and place your lamp there. You also can use blue color curtains on your window.

You can also redecorate your room like the following which is my favorite. Just take out the dolls and playing things from here as it is a kid's bedroom. what do you think?

If you use white furniture and a little mix of blue color like above then it will be really fascinating!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:02 PM

anisa, that is really cute! I was going to move the bed a little farther from the wall but the pictures I posted are just temporary. I don't even have a bed frame for it yet! I found light blue curtains that im going to use and decorate in the light yellow hue in the comforter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating