Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times

Advertisements

We bought a post modern home that has a beautiful, 21 raised panel, very heavy wooden entry door. It is 3 1/2 feet wide by 7 feet tall and stained either solid cherry or redwood natural color.

My question is would this be an appropriate door for a 1970s modern home or would I need to change it to keep a consistent architectural theme? If it isn't modern, what style is a 21 panel door? spanish maybe?? I can't find any pictures online of this style door on a modern home. Most doors are slab style with picture glass inserts.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 06:12 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,219,292 times
Can you take a picture?

Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 PM

Sorry, I can't post any pictures yet. Camera is still packed! If you google "21 panel" front door (with quotes around 21 panel) a few pics pop up to see similar doors.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
The images that came up on google are not really consistent with what I would call "post modern" -- seven rows of three panels each strike me as something that Mike Brady's architectural firm would call groovy in the 70s... When I think post moden I think stuff like Arquitectonica Headquarters | Arquitectonica in South Florida.

Anyhow I can see how a "Mediterraneannstylw" fits with this door especially if the stain is like a dark walnut...

If your door is Douglas Fir which typically has an orange / peachy hue that can look appropriate with a wide range of styles including California Arts & Crafts, traditional Colonial, Mission, Greek Revival, Italianate and lots of of "transitional" contompories

Last edited by chet everett; 03-03-2013 at 08:58 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
...If it isn't modern, what style is a 21 panel door? spanish maybe...

That is an interpretation of a "haveli" door. They were usually made of teak. The "style" has been around a few hundred years.
Not exactly "post" modern!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:45 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,494,501 times
21 panel doors - Bing Images

is this the door?

i googled 1970's post modern front door and it came up with this:
1970's post modern front door - Bing Images

maybe you can save the door and have someone put glass into the panels for you?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
21 panel doors - Bing Images

is this the door?

i googled 1970's post modern front door and it came up with this:
1970's post modern front door - Bing Images

maybe you can save the door and have someone put glass into the panels for you?
Yes, that is the door.

Thank you for posting the pictures and link, findinghope. Your Bing images are beautiful and certainly seem much more appropriate for the style of the house than the raised panel door I have currently.

This is my first modern style home and am having fun researching the era in order to transform the mish mash of styles currently in this house from years of unfortunate choices by previous owners into a unified style. We've always had prewar colonial houses. I was ready for a change and have fallen in love with the sleekness of modern design after decades of crown mouldings, chair rails and wood shakes.....

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-04-2013 at 06:15 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
That is an interpretation of a "haveli" door. They were usually made of teak. The "style" has been around a few hundred years.
Not exactly "post" modern!
I didn't think so, but wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming this.....now the fun begins of finding a new door!

Old 03-04-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The images that came up on google are not really consistent with what I would call "post modern" -- seven rows of three panels each strike me as something that Mike Brady's architectural firm would call groovy in the 70s... When I think post moden I think stuff like Arquitectonica Headquarters | Arquitectonica in South Florida.

Anyhow I can see how a "Mediterraneannstylw" fits with this door especially if the stain is like a dark walnut...

If your door is Douglas Fir which typically has an orange / peachy hue that can look appropriate with a wide range of styles including California Arts & Crafts, traditional Colonial, Mission, Greek Revival, Italianate and lots of of "transitional" contompories
Thank you, chet. While it certainly is a "groovy", well made, and expensive door, our new home is decidedly architecturally modern, so out it goes as soon as I can find a more appropriate replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating