Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:42 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times

Advertisements

There are certain things in life that cost more than they ever should and one of those things are nightstands. I just dont get it. There isnt much to them but find they are often grossly over priced. Even cheap pressed wood stands cost more than what they are worth. When my husband and I first got married we bought a brand new bedroom suite. We couldn't afford to add the nightstands. Two nightstands that matched our furniture equaled the cost of one of the dressers. So we have made due with side tables and whatever else I could come up with. The tables never last or look awkward and its probably one of the design details of my home that irks me.

We redid our bedroom a few weeks ago. Im really not into everything being matchy matchy so Im very happy with the pieces we have so far. Im back to the nightstand dilemma. I decided to bite the bullet and purchase two bedside tables from Pottery Barn. It was killing me to pay 300 a piece but its something I have been wanting for a long time. I go to order and Pottery Barn's shipping is criminal. It was going to cost me an extra 168 dollars to have these two tables shipped to me. Now im in the 700 dollar range for two tables! So I cancelled the order.

I have been to Pier one, TJmaxx and any other accent type furniture store. Everything is crap and for high dollar. Scoured craigslist and used furniture stores. Even if its something I have to paint. Nada. Either there is only one nightstand (the only thing I really want to match, is to have 2 of the same) or what I do find is horrific looking that even paint wont fix. I've seen creative ideas where people will stack old suitcases but finding neat looking suitcases is even harder to find than a decent nightstand. So..if anyone is willing to share, what did you spend? Im just having a hard time pulling the trigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 11:47 AM

22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

I have been to Pier one, TJmaxx and any other accent type furniture store. Everything is crap and for high dollar.
Why not try a real local furniture store, instead of cheap chains?

My nightstands are from Stickley... I'm sure you'd balk at the price!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:54 AM

21 posts, read 56,697 times
I never really needed drawers or anything so we just got a few of these side tables from Ikea, only $8.00 apeice:

LACK Side table - birch effect, 21 5/8x21 5/8 " - IKEA

Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Our nightstands are antiques. They don't match. I like it that way. They are perfect for our high four poster bed. Normal night stands are too short.

I can't remember what I paid, probably about $100=$150 each. I bought them 20 years ago, and they've been in various locations in the house.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Why not try a real local furniture store, instead of cheap chains?

My nightstands are from Stickley... I'm sure you'd balk at the price!
LOL. Probably. Dont get me wrong, I understand that quality furniture costs money. I just feel sticker shock every time I look at nightstands. I started off at the nicer furniture stores first. It doesnt help my husband is a miser, he would be a happy clam with milk crates stacked next to the bed. So then I got him tagging along going OMG! OMG! Then I think he is being a jerk but the frugal side of me is saying, wow...do I really want to spend that kind of money? Just curious what others have spent.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxflame1 View Post
I never really needed drawers or anything so we just got a few of these side tables from Ikea, only $8.00 apeice:

LACK Side table - birch effect, 21 5/8x21 5/8 " - IKEA
Thanks. I actually have two IKEA tables right now. Metal ones that I paid around 18 dollars a piece for. They are wobbly and set off my OCD. lol. Our bed is high so I need something tall in the 29 inch to 30 in range.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
It doesnt help my husband is a miser, he would be a happy clam with milk crates stacked next to the bed. So then I got him tagging along going OMG! OMG! Then I think he is being a jerk but the frugal side of me is saying, wow...do I really want to spend that kind of money? Just curious what others have spent.
OMG! You're married to my husband's twin!

I thought I had a strategy that would work. I took him to the cheap stores first because I knew he would say the stuff was too overpriced for the poor quality. So then I took him to quality furniture stores so he could see what good quality costs. His response was I needed to get a job if that was the stuff I wanted. LOL

Old 03-05-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Our nightstands are antiques. They don't match. I like it that way. They are perfect for our high four poster bed. Normal night stands are too short.

I can't remember what I paid, probably about $100=$150 each. I bought them 20 years ago, and they've been in various locations in the house.
Yep, same issue here. We just upgraded to a King bed. Its tall and I need taller tables. By chance I found a woman selling a king canopy bed that was barely used. She purchased it new a few years ago because she was going to move into a new home with a large master suite. The deal fell through and she put the bed in storage. The house she ended up with doesnt work with the bed so she listed it for a 1000 dollars. I talked her down to 400 but then her husband offered to deliver it to me for free. They were such incredibly nice people that I gave them an additional 60 dollars for the hassle of bringing to my home. Its a nice bed made by Magnussen. I guess because I only paid 460 for the bed and then got my dressers for a steal as well, picking up night stands that cost almost more than all the bedroom furniture combined has me a little ill.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
For $400.00 I can get all wood, handmade night stands that will last long after we are dead and gone. There is no way I would pay that kind of money for cheap, pressed wood crap.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OMG! You're married to my husband's twin!

I thought I had a strategy that would work. I took him to the cheap stores first because I knew he would say the stuff was too overpriced for the poor quality. So then I took him to quality furniture stores so he could see what good quality costs. His response was I needed to get a job if that was the stuff I wanted. LOL
LOL!!! I do the same thing. I am always 5 steps ahead than my husband on house decor so when I do all my research and figure out what I want, then I clue him in. He balks at whatever Im thinking of doing and then take him to all the cheap stores first. There is this one place that is a warehouse type deal. Ya know the place. They advertise on tv and scream. COMPLETE BEDROOM SETS FOR 395!!!!! So I drug him there. He was mortified. ha ha. The place was cold, loud and not to be a snob but the customers looked a bit shady. Of course all the furniture was complete crap. He couldnt wait to get out of there. For some reason though, he likes Pier 1. I think its the smell of the place that appeals to him. I showed him the nightstands they had and he was shocked for 200 a piece, the drawers didnt open well and so on. I am really disappointed in Pottery Barn though. Their shipping costs just tick me off. I guess the hunt continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating