Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 03:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Even if that happens, I'm not worried about it since we will rarely be opening and closing the ones that will be hanging the highest, well over 10' up. We'd only close those if the sun was shining too brightly since they are west facing windows, but we gave a huge hedge of big lush tall lilac bushes on the other side of the walkway next to the house. They provide a lot of shade and privacy isn't an issue since the windows don't face the street. The drapes for the south facing windows will be hanging lower (about 8' up) due to an architectural feature. Since I'm 5'8" with long arms and long fingers, I will be able to easily reach 8' on my tip toes. It's a very rare day I need a stepping stool for anything. I'm the customer who gets things off the top shelves at the grocery store for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 06:14 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Sounds very traditional. They have been doing this in the UK for eons.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Sounds very traditional. They have been doing this in the UK for eons.
It's not traditional in the United States. Here, people usually have full length sheers with full length curtains. That's traditional here.

If people have been doing what I describe n the UK for eons, can you post pictures of it?

I can't find any examples via google images, and I've love to see examples of it.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:37 PM

2,417 posts, read 2,988,207 times
It sounded a little strange to me, but I think I finally found a photo. It's a little dark, but is this what you mean?
DSC_0924

Old 04-01-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
It sounded a little strange to me, but I think I finally found a photo. It's a little dark, but is this what you mean?
DSC_0924
Sort of. The outer drapes are super formal compared to what I want to do. I can see why a previous poster went with a straight panel sheer instead It would look fresher that way. It will be a challenge to find the right fabric. I don't think normal sheer fabric would work with a straight panel. Thanks for finding a photo. I closest photos I could find had roman shades made with very sheer fabric.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:41 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Everyone I talk to thinks my window treatment plans will be a mistake. I'm in a quandary.

Our lifestyle and décor is very casual. We live in a house that's over 100 years old. It has high ceilings and beautiful wide trim that is painted white.

I have blinds in the first floor windows. I'm bored with them. I've always hated blinds. I do NOT want full size formal window treatments either.

My idea is to replace the blinds with sheers the same size as the windows----hanging the sheers on spring rods inside the window trim. With wide white trim, this is a stunning look. I have it like that on the windows in the upstairs hallway. I like sheers because they provide privacy during the day while letting in sunlight and allowing me to see a little outside. (Blinds block the view when closed.)

My problem is that I need a way to block the sun on super sunny days or to provide more privacy at night. I want to do full length casual drapes from ceiling to floor on big rods up near the ceiling. The drape panels would be hung far to the right and left of the window so when open the entire window would be exposed. I'm talking the type of casual drapes that have grommets.

Everyone thinks it will look weird to have different lengths. But that's essentially what people have when they have blinds and long drapes. I don't want blinds as my permanent cover up. I don't want shutters.

My first other idea is to not put full size drapes from floor to ceiling but to have the drapes fall just slightly below the windows. Even though I find pictures of this, and it is touted as a casual look, I'm more afraid of this than I am of having different length sheers and drape panels.

My second other idea is to have the sheers inset in the window on spring rods as planned and having a bamboo roller blind OVER the sheers. That way the sheers would provide privacy when the blinds are open. I've seen pictures of this and it's very attractive. I just feel badly that I can't have the ease of drapes. I don't have good experience with roll blinds not falling apart. It's so much easier to swing open drapes with grommets on rods than the deal with blinds.

I'm open to ideas.
Vista Window Film: Professionally Installed Window Films for Home and Commercial Buildings

Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
That's too bad, must be something not compatible. If you can, try taking the rod down and spraying them with a silicone spray. It has no color but will coat it and might make it slippery enough. Or spray into a rag and wipe on if you don't want to take them down. Let us know if that works.
Thanks, but I already took the grommet-top draperies back and got something else.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:32 PM

563 posts, read 1,787,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I need to see photos as well .

Have you thought about solar shades? You can get them in many prints, etc. Even just the plain roller shades behind the sheers would block the sun like you want without dealing with the curtains. I'm not a fan of curtains so anything I can do to avoid them is good in my book. You can dress up the roller shades with fabric if you want too--apply some lace or something to blend in with your sheers???
If my phone camera was any better, i'd have taken a picture of the whole room, as the window on the adjoining wall has the same thing. The room has a theme and it probably looks better as a whole, but hope this is what you were looking for..

Old 04-01-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
If my phone camera was any better, i'd have taken a picture of the whole room, as the window on the adjoining wall has the same thing. The room has a theme and it probably looks better as a whole, but hope this is what you were looking for..
It's the basic concept I had in mind. Are those straight panel sheers? Someone else said they did that instead of having them gathered. I'd definitely want to find a thicker sheer than I was planning to get if I went with a straight panel. My ceilings are very high so my drape rod will be much higher above the window but your picture gives me a better idea of how it will work. I'm also glad to see what white sheers with white trim and drapes with a beige background look like. Although your background is grey, it helps me envision what I want to do. I was tormented between white or off-white sheers. I really wanted to do white because my trim is white. Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-16-2013, 11:20 PM

5 posts, read 8,626 times
Cheers! Glad to know there’s someone like me who dislikes curtains, shades and blinds too! LOL. But seriously, have you given thought to installing window frosting on the windows? They’d look great and give you enough privacy day and night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating