Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

I actually like the yellow bed, but it has a cottagey look. If you can exchange it for something else, I'd like to recommend a bed that has built in storage underneath. I have one of these. Here is a link to the style I am posting about: Whittier Wood Furniture - Pacific Collection

I like the style because it is clean and modern. You could choose many sorts of accessories to suit yourself, and it could all still work. Another reason I like this style of bed is because it is a breeze to make. The mattress sits level on the built in platform. It is the easiest bed I've ever made. I absolutely love NOT having a dust ruffle.

You mention not finding blue curtains. Grayish blue is quite trendy now. You should be able to find a blue curtain at Pottery Barn, and other similar places. You can check at Bed, Bath and Beyond as well. I don't know about navy blue, but that color is being seen in ready to wear, so perhaps it is also finding its way into home furnishings.

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Just wanted to say that I love those lamp ideas and the chests as well. I can see both working very well with dark blue bedding.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 PM

69 posts, read 144,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I actually like the yellow bed, but it has a cottagey look. If you can exchange it for something else, I'd like to recommend a bed that has built in storage underneath. I have one of these. Here is a link to the style I am posting about: Whittier Wood Furniture - Pacific Collection

I like the style because it is clean and modern. You could choose many sorts of accessories to suit yourself, and it could all still work. Another reason I like this style of bed is because it is a breeze to make. The mattress sits level on the built in platform. It is the easiest bed I've ever made. I absolutely love NOT having a dust ruffle.

You mention not finding blue curtains. Grayish blue is quite trendy now. You should be able to find a blue curtain at Pottery Barn, and other similar places. You can check at Bed, Bath and Beyond as well. I don't know about navy blue, but that color is being seen in ready to wear, so perhaps it is also finding its way into home furnishings.

Good luck to you!
I have mixed felling about the yellow bed. I went back to the shop I bought it from and talked to the owner; she asked me about the bed and I said I'd rather have furniture that all matched. We looked at other beds although we did not specifically discuss an exchange, I am hopeful this could transpire. I saw a solid Alder sleigh bed that I liked, finished in dark cherry or something that has a deep red/burgundy hue. It is rather massive though. The bed in the attached photo looks good, but it no doubt weighs about 1,000 lbs and is massive, I fear it would fill the room and look out of place.

I looked at the bed in the link you provided and I like the style, but not the finish, too dull and dark. I like rich colors though.

The lady at the store suggested I get the comforter that I like, "try several," she suggested, decide which one, then work on the bed. Same advice I had here. Still, I feel like I need to have a bed design in mind and work it all at the same time.

The problem with the sleigh bed at the shop, is that there is no other furniture to match with it. They seem to have individual pieces and not complete sets, although they carry the Whittier line; when I offered that they could order anything for me, my comment was met with silence, so I am not sure what their status is with the vendors.

I am not sure the "cottage" look is for me. Maybe something more masculine would be better.

Is there a particular bed style that is nautical?
Attached Thumbnails
Bedroom; comments and suggestions welcome-ad791_306r.jpg  

Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
I still think you should just do the all solid Navy Blue and get the rug with a pattern in white on a Navy Blue background. Try and get a white or black bed if you can return yours. The trunk is great, and the other lamps are great too. The Cutty picture would be nice as well. The photographer you picked out is nice too, but I would steer clear of the pink skies and go towards the black and white he offers, they are really nice.

I don't think soft blues and cottage is very masculine for you.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvasi View Post
If I proceed with the nautical theme, which of these beds will work with that theme?
From the beds pictures you posted earlier I think the cottage bed set would work with the Navy Nautical because it is a white/cream color.

I don't think a sleigh bed would work with Nautical, it's too romantic.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
If you do get a chest, be sure that it is sturdy enough to sit on. Very handy for putting on shoes, etc.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:36 PM

I asked about the chests shown and they are antiques and I was advised that although they are study, they were never designed to be sat upon.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
From the beds pictures you posted earlier I think the cottage bed set would work with the Navy Nautical because it is a white/cream color.

I don't think a sleigh bed would work with Nautical, it's too romantic.
And too massive as well.

Does the cottage bed look 'country'? I hope not. Why is it called 'cottage?', I wonder?

Did I show my ideas for artwork for the walls?
Attached Thumbnails
Bedroom; comments and suggestions welcome-120611.1253.0055.jpg   Bedroom; comments and suggestions welcome-120608.1005.0201.jpg   Bedroom; comments and suggestions welcome-navycrew_t.jpg  

Old 03-28-2013, 11:56 PM

You found the Navy Blue bed comforter set, so to match that you can look at these links if you like (and shop from home):

Navy Drapes
Space Living Midnight Blue Grommet Velvet Blackout Curtain Panel Panels, Drapes, & Curtains
69.00 to 99.00
Space Living [607017-10004]
Midnight Blue Grommet Velvet Blackout Curtain Panel

White Sheers
Space Living Solid Off White Voile Poly Sheer Curtain Panels Pair Panels, Drapes, & Curtains
50" (W) X 84" (L) Curtain Panels

Navy Rugs
navy rug at Target
Color Splash Border Rug
• $649.99

Surya Forum FM-7186 Dark Blue / Antique White Area Rugs
7'6" x 9'6" rectangular $659.40

Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 AM

Very nice, the two pictures above. Yes they would go great. Be sure to get them matted in white and framed in black. Don't do an oak wood stained frame.

Yeah the bed is called cottage, because it is. But that doesn't mean you have to follow through and do a soft color cottage theme with it. You can do a strong navy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating