Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 11:56 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times

Advertisements

It can be cheaper or more expensive. That depends on the quality of the specific granite vs specific quartz product you are comparing. I personally like quartz more than granite and it is considered just as "high-end"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 05:34 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,066 times
You will often find quartz selling under brand names such as Silestone. I wanted quartz when we did our kitchen remodel, but found granite to be cheaper. The quartz is a lower maintenance product.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:28 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quartz countertops are a superior product for a kitchen- anti-bacterial, low maintenance and very strong and stable, I've designed dozens of kitchens and spec it almost exclusively-sometimes mixed with other surfaces. Try this for a Carrera look:

Misty Carrera : 4141 | Caesarstone

Old 04-23-2013, 02:21 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
If you are looking for a marble look - manufactured quartz is not the answer....the beauty of real marble is the randomness of the veining....manufactured quartz is uniform in pattern. I like manufactured quartz but it does not mimim real marble.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Try this for a Carrera look:

Misty Carrera : 4141 | Caesarstone
Really?
You're kidding, right?
Have you ever looked at a REAL Carrera slab? It looks nothing like that- I don't think that that even qualifies as a "Carrera look".

Old 04-24-2013, 08:10 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
When it is not grossly overpriced I don't mind the quartz countertops. The manufactures take ground up stone and then in a "secret formula" use materials like epoxy and other many made binders along with heat and pressure to bake the thing into a "slab". The problem is that all that work plus the branding and advertising often make the stuff more expensive than top quality natural stone. It never looks as random as natural granite or marble, the range of sheens is far more limited and the overall trade offs just don't make sense when there are numerous penetrating sealants or nano-coatings that eliminate any maintenance issues with natural stone.

Granite is a geologic classification given to stone that contains a high percentage of quartz and the marketers that try to say that somehow combining dust from granite with man made binders / epoxies creates some "some material" is silly. It is does work to say this is "green" either as the adhesives themselves are created in labs and the energy required to bake these concoctions under high pressure is not earth friendly nor is the process of mining low grade stone for "dust"...

Siltstone, Ceasarstone, Zodiac, Cambria and similar products are all brand names that advertise heavily. It is fine for folks that either want the uniformity for a specific look or just don't appreciate natural products but it is not a good substitute for someone looking for a granite with the classic dark veined / pearly white contrast of traditional Carrara marble.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
I agree with your analysis. What I will say is that I like the uniformity for our application. We went with a very natural and non-uniform looking Birch floor, so in our kitchen I am going with a much more streamlined look with a whiteish quartz. I appreciate/LOVE natural products, but that doesn't mean that I wanted every surface in our house have to have that look. I wanted a bit more of a contemporary vibe and thus I liked the uniformity of the quartz contrasting with the non-uniformity of the floors versus going with very naturally inconsistent products throughout.

Last edited by Sunbather; 04-24-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating