U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 AM

99 posts, read 131,011 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone has every attempted this.

kitchen is 15 x 12, with and entrance way and a back door. The openings are such that a U or L shape would be interrupted. the sink is no where near the window (short wall, directly across from entrance from dining room). why are sinks always by the window? should I really move the plumbing around for that?

I was thinking of keep both short walls clear, and doing sink and dishwasher on one side and fridge and oven on the other. this would leave about 6 feet in between.

thoughts? comments?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 09:44 AM

20,419 posts, read 40,147,937 times
picture or floor plan?

Old 04-15-2013, 10:01 AM

3,690 posts, read 5,597,448 times
I agree. We're going to need a picture or a floor plan.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:19 AM

28,461 posts, read 75,149,554 times
Assuming the galley is currently oriented along the long dimension that is pretty spacious -- depending on doorways / windows it might be possiblw to incorporate some kind of island or similar feature -- that would be a very smart upgrade...

Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 AM

99 posts, read 131,011 times
Chet - that is how the current set up is. There is a kitchen table in between as of now. I will get pictures as soon as I can.

I have the measurements, any good places to enter them in for a floor plan model?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM

3,596 posts, read 4,919,830 times
Here is one site for free floor planning.
Create floor plans, house plans and home plans online with Floorplanner.com

If you do a google search for free floor plan sites quite a few come up

Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 PM

149 posts, read 307,916 times
My Galley Kitchen drives me crazy.Its in the very back of our house.There is noway to expand unless we tore the whole back of house off and built on.It sits about 7ft,off of the ground.They say it would cost at least 30,000 to remodel so unless I suddenly become rich and famous I will have to live with it for awhile longer.Ive done everything possible to change up the look but there is no makeing it larger.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:33 PM

5,284 posts, read 18,572,681 times
I would not buy a house with a kitchen that did not have a good sized window over the sink. If you cook a lot, you spend quite a bit of time at the sink - prepping, cleaning fruits and vegetables, cleaning pots and pans, willing things with water....it is great to be able to look outside and see the sunshine, trees, birds sky....who wants to look at a blank wall? Also, I love to open my over-the-kitchen-sink window - get a little fresh air breeze while I'm in the kitchen.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:42 AM

8,026 posts, read 14,006,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckbeard89 View Post
I have the measurements, any good places to enter them in for a floor plan model?
A really easy floor planner is Ethan Allen's free 2D planner ... go to ethanallen.com - decorating ideas | modern, traditional, casual furniture | free interior design , hover over "Design & Inspiration" at the top right, and click on "2D Room Planner." It's very easy to learn and you can save your plans as .jpg files. I used it to plan rooms while I was waiting to close on my current house, and I found it pretty addictive!

Old 04-23-2013, 04:10 PM

1,243 posts, read 3,857,182 times
We have a galley style kitchen and love it! It is a huge reason we had this house built. Ours is about 18 feet long on the outside wall and we have the range and fridge on that wall. Opposite that run of cabinetry and appliances there is an "island" that is 13.5 feet long, 3.5 feet wide that opens up to our living room. On that run of cabinetry we have a sink and the dishwashers. The 2 parts of the kitchen are separated by 5 feet of floor space between them. We've lived in houses with U shaped kitchens and they are a runner up to the galley style provided there is no island. We find islands in the middle of the u-shaped kitchen really hinders movement while cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating