U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 09:23 AM

72 posts, read 128,810 times

Advertisements

I have an attic with two 12 x 12 rooms connected by a little hallway (walk in closets on each side). I would like to make one room a bedroom. I have two sleigh beds and am not sure what to do....put them on either side of the wall and block the window? Put just one bed in the room and place it in between the windows?

If I put one bed in the middle, can I put a nightstand in front of the window? Just not sure how to work around the windows and whether it's ok to block part of one or both!

Or is there a more creative place for the beds I am not thinking of?

Should I put one bed in the first room? That room doesn't seem as cozy with the stair case and the window A/C unit and I was thinking of making it a mini office or "reading nook"

I know it's a small space, but I am desperate for an extra bedroom.

Sorry about the mess, the attic is just a storage place at the moment.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Please help with attic bedroom project-image.jpg   Please help with attic bedroom project-image-1.jpg  
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 10:12 AM

40,289 posts, read 49,806,394 times
They are twin size sleigh beds?
Can you put them on the blank wall on the right, as you're facing the windows? Put one about 2 ft from the windows (just enough to get out of bed), nightstand between them, and the second bed? It will be cozy, but it looks like there is room.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:00 PM

3,599 posts, read 4,924,903 times
You have two rooms? And you want to put both beds in one room? why not a bed in each room?

Old 04-19-2013, 12:08 PM

To have a nightstand in front of the window this might be a good idea. Suspended ledges. You could even get a drawer with a top on it. Depending on your style, modern, or traditional you could make the ledge/drawer fit your style and the ropes be sleeker.
Attached Thumbnails
Please help with attic bedroom project-df8463d6a3e1166f15f06c26198e7892.jpg  

Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 PM

5,919 posts, read 5,859,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
To have a nightstand in front of the window this might be a good idea. Suspended ledges. You could even get a drawer with a top on it. Depending on your style, modern, or traditional you could make the ledge/drawer fit your style and the ropes be sleeker.
I like this.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:55 PM

Yeah, just keep the kids off of it or they will go swinging out the window

Old 04-20-2013, 05:30 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,726,000 times
If this will truly be a guest room, I would put the beds in the room with the ac unit. Couple of reasons... 1. This gives you the larger space to use on a daily basis. 2. Since heat rises, the room without the ac unit might get pretty hot in the summer. Your guests might be more comfortable with the unit in the same space. 3. With the window in the center in the smaller side, it would be easier to place the beds on either side of the window and have a nightstand under the window.

Also, since the stairs are on the other side, perhaps you could purchase some folding screens that you would place/use when you have guests for a measure of privacy. Good luck with your project!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 11 days ago)

54,474 posts, read 42,673,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They are twin size sleigh beds?
Can you put them on the blank wall on the right, as you're facing the windows? Put one about 2 ft from the windows (just enough to get out of bed), nightstand between them, and the second bed? It will be cozy, but it looks like there is room.
I approve this message! That's what I'd do. If it's a guest room, sleeping space is what counts more than "living space." I'd make that other room some sort of den so that if guests wanted to relax and watch a little TV or stretch out somewhere to read they could do it there.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:26 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,853,174 times
I'm assuming enough A/C gets into the room you're showing us. And I'm assuming you are opposed to splitting the beds into two rooms. And I'm assuming separating the beds is fine with you.

Put the head of the two beds, separated, against the straight walls on either side of the door, so a sleeper person would face the windows. Since a bedside table won't fit, you could install a medium shelf above the head of each bed, mind no one hits their head, and put a clock or ornament, some books, and a small lamp. Have a special "guest" section in the closets down that way on either side of the door, get a closet-fix thing with a drawer, a shelf, and a small hanging area, and show those to your guests. Suitcases perhaps on the floors or at the very top in there.

On one side at the foot of a bed, tucked under the eave, put the long side of a small desk or table, plus a chair, stack a couple small games and notebook, pen, and perhaps a TV set facing the beds. Then on the other side of the room, put a rocker to look out, a floor lamp, a very small table with coffee coaster, and a picture next to window or in between them. A non-slip runner rug could go down the middle between the beds. Hope you can picture this and glean and idea or so.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:55 AM

40,289 posts, read 49,806,394 times
That sounds like a good plan, gigimac. I wonder if the OP will come back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating