Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 5,570 times

Advertisements

So, I have this small room with a window facing the east, towards more sunlight. I have a crazy plan on mind. Sketch of the room is attached below:

...and my monster room ought to be:

1. A bedroom (single), with a home theatre system. To be precise I'd like to use my 24" LED Display as my screen with space for a desktop, monitor, and a 5.1 Speaker System. I'd watch movies and play a lot of games while at the same time work - CAD, Circuit Simulations, etc.
2. A study/mini-office room. This would be a minimalist office with a desk, chair and shelves to store my numerous books and magazines. A separate desk space may be required close to the computer monitor.
3. An electronic workbench. I do a lot of prototype work on hobby electronics, so some space for my bench vise, soldering station and electronic components. I guess the window (east facing) would be an ideal location to place this bench.
4. An electric guitar jam room, with effects processor, stranger box, and space to store my two guitars and amps, etc.

Is this all-in-one setup even possible with my room? I know, nothing is impossible, but where do I start? I don't have a clue, but I have no option either. In a nutshell, this devil of a small room would contain:

a) A single bed
b) A home theatre sound system
c) A gaming computer
d) Lots of book shelves
e) An electronics workbench
f) A guitar jamming studio
e) A mini office with printer

I cannot change/expand the room and changing the positions of existing windows/door isn't an option either. Please throw in your advice(s) and help me realise this monster of a project (I guess). Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
At first glance, I'd start by putting the bed beneath the window and setting up the flat screen on the wall opposite. You might be able to place a chair within viewing range as well, that would also work with a desk that has been fashioned to be multipurpose.

Your room is pretty small to cram so much function into though. I question whether you would want to sleep among so many unfinished tasks and entertainment. Is it possible to sleep in another room? A hide a bed in the living area? That would make it more feasible to have multiple functions in this room.

One key to the plan would be how to use the small alcove to the right of the window. It seems pretty small though. I don't know if you have a closet, but you could put a storage piece there for clothes or for supplies for some of your interests. Here is a question for you. Is your room wired for this kind or usage? Does it have outlets on all walls? If this room is in an older home or apartment, you might not have enough electric outlets for everything. And where are they in the room? And do you have a closet?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
At first glance, I'd start by putting the bed beneath the window and setting up the flat screen on the wall opposite. You might be able to place a chair within viewing range as well, that would also work with a desk that has been fashioned to be multipurpose.

Your room is pretty small to cram so much function into though. I question whether you would want to sleep among so many unfinished tasks and entertainment. Is it possible to sleep in another room? A hide a bed in the living area? That would make it more feasible to have multiple functions in this room.

One key to the plan would be how to use the small alcove to the right of the window. It seems pretty small though. I don't know if you have a closet, but you could put a storage piece there for clothes or for supplies for some of your interests. Here is a question for you. Is your room wired for this kind or usage? Does it have outlets on all walls? If this room is in an older home or apartment, you might not have enough electric outlets for everything. And where are they in the room? And do you have a closet?

Thanks for your inputs/observations. I have an empty room to start with, with no existing furniture or cabinets/closets, etc and yes, I do wish to fall asleep watching movies sometimes. Foremost - this is my bedroom. Next, I do require a closet with a large enough mirror to help me dress up in formals sometimes.

Wiring is the least thing that I'm worried about because once I (or we) have the layout/settings for the room finalised, I will run important cabling to various key-points before installing any cabinets/furniture in the room.

Lastly, you're right when you say that the room is too small for the purpose, but that is also the "point" and challenge. I, therefore, call it the "monster" room. Thanks again.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:20 AM

492 posts, read 638,067 times
I'd go with the bed under the window, and a wall unit against the opposite wall with upper shelves, lower cupboards for clothes, and a desk in the center. The Monitor/tv would be on that desk. In the alcove near the door I'd make a small workstation with art carts as the base to store your workbench supplies. Hang the guitars on the wall opposite the door. Put a mirror on the wall to the left of the door as you walk in.

The key would be the wall unit on the 310cm wall. It needs to have room for a printer and the speakers need to fit in the bookshelves.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I'd go with the bed under the window, and a wall unit against the opposite wall with upper shelves, lower cupboards for clothes, and a desk in the center. The Monitor/tv would be on that desk. In the alcove near the door I'd make a small workstation with art carts as the base to store your workbench supplies. Hang the guitars on the wall opposite the door. Put a mirror on the wall to the left of the door as you walk in.

The key would be the wall unit on the 310cm wall. It needs to have room for a printer and the speakers need to fit in the bookshelves.
Great advice, thanks. Now, some additional information which may help improve suggestions:

a) I'd like to watch those movies by reclining on that bed, and the window would cause trouble if I place the bed along it.
b) The 61 cm small window hardly manages light through it, as it faces a tree/shrub which almost touches the window, so a workstation at a dark area doesn't quite sound well. No, I cannot cut/chop down that tree.
c) The east facing window also faces the front of my house. I'd love to have my study desk there, as I could always stretch a little and see who's barging in.

I will wait for more ideas.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Might get a bit more help with the layout in Feet so here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Help me design my monster room-screen-shot-2013-04-26-1.44.22  

Old 04-26-2013, 05:01 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
What's the ceiling hgt?
Rooms that small that need multiple functions remind me of dorm rooms. The number 1 way to make more room- LOFT the bed. Then use the space underneath for the seating or for the desk/bench.

Google "dorm rooms with lofted beds", you'll get plenty of inspiration.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:36 PM

I like the idea of a lofted bed, but don't know how the OP would watch TV that way. I still like the bed under the window, headboard to the window, but with black out shades in back. You would pull them shut when you wanted to watch TV.

The small alcove could contain an armoire or other sort of closet. You might want storage floor to ceiling, so perhaps having something built to fit might be best there. But on re reading your original post, it seems you want to be able to do other things on the monitor, so I'm not sure if placing the desk to the side of the bed would work for that, if the TV screen is hung on the wall.

Built in storage units on the side wall would solve storage issues and you could have them custom built or perhaps buy some customizable units to hang yourself. A desk unit could be incorporated into this, but it will be a tight fit.

It might be that you will have to choose the three most important functions that you want, and put those in the room, leaving the others for another room or time in your life.

Having the bed under the window will be the most satisfying arrangement if you can do it. It will look "right" when you walk into the room.

Good luck!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What's the ceiling hgt?
Rooms that small that need multiple functions remind me of dorm rooms. The number 1 way to make more room- LOFT the bed. Then use the space underneath for the seating or for the desk/bench.

Google "dorm rooms with lofted beds", you'll get plenty of inspiration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I like the idea of a lofted bed, but don't know how the OP would watch TV that way.

Silibran is right, and the 24" Monitor isn't a TV (oh I never watch TV), it is a computer monitor and may not be hung on the wall for obvious reasons. The ceiling is about 7' (210 cm) - and that adds to the challenge, sure it does.

Also, I wouldn't like to consider other rooms, as this is the only room I got and will last for a long time in my life, I'm sure. A foldable bed is, perhaps, one option but I have never seen one. Here's a couple pictures acquired from the web search though:

Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 PM

I thought of a Murphy bed, but didn't know how you could fit it in when folded down, and it would take up so much wall space. I like the units you show. If they would fit into your room, then you will have to figure out a way to put them in to give you the most function for what you want.

But there has to be floor space for the bed when folded down. Folded up, the bed would give you moving around space, but you can't put any functional things in the space, unless you want to be endlessly moving them around.

Perhaps you could give yourself some sort of work space around the window, facing the work table or desk into the room, with a chair behind the desk in front of the window. You could swivel around in your chair and enjoy the view, if you have a view. The natural light might be helpful too. I still like a closet with built in storage in the alcove.

For harmony, have as many of the elements match as possible. If you have to use disparate pieces, especially if they are second hand, paint them to match. Too much variety in the elements will be hard to take in such a small place. I see your room as a giant jigsaw puzzle. I hope you fit everything together in a functional and pleasing manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating