Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You have a TV in your bedroom?
Yes 49 50.52%
No 48 49.48%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:17 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,317 times

Advertisements

No TV in my bedroom and never will have one there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Its not that I dont enjoy it I just tend to get on the computer or read a book more.
Lately, I've been watching a lot of TV on my computer.

And with a laptop, I can do that in bed, too!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:27 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
no.
It's not generally (imo) a good idea to have a tv in your bedroom.
Messes with your sleep and your sex life.
^^^ this!!! ^^^

Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 AM

248 posts, read 862,433 times
No TV in the bedroom.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:07 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
We have one 36" TV in a corner of the great room, and that is it.

On the other hand, we have two offices with computers plus a couple laptops, two ereaders and a tablet - which is where we get most of our news and communication. If we had better internet, it'd be where we got most of our entertainment, as well.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:09 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Yes, a 48" flat screen...although I'm trying to convince my husband to go bigger.

I use it mainly for my music (digital cable stations, AppleTV/hard drive access).
My kids like to snuggle into our bed and watch shows/movies and its great when one of us is home sick in bed. Sometimes we'll watch the morning news when getting ready in the AM and when my husband is traveling, I'll tuck myself in and watch one of my programs.

Otherwise we primarily watch tv in the family room.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:27 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I like to be able to watch the morning news. It is a mid-sized flat panel tv and does not detract from the look of out otherwise nice furniture.

I would NEVER recommend giving up any closet space in a bedroom and would highly recommend considering other alternatives. If you decide to list your home for sale it would be foolish not to re-convert any closet space to intended use!
I have a 22" flat-screen TV INSIDE my built-in bedroom closet. I simply open the sliding closet door if I want to watch it. There's a small hole at the back of the shelf to take the wires to the floor of the closet, and another hole at the side of the closet to take the wires to the power and antenna outlets. If I should move, the next owners will still have a closet, and the TV does not impact the look of my bedroom at all.

For some reason TV aids my sleep rather than interfering with it, though I can't sleep with it on. I can usually only stay awake for about 10 minutes after switching it on.

It's great to have if you're sick in bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
We have a TV in our bedroom (I set the sleep timer for 30 minutes, and listen to whatever is on TV Land while drifting off to sleep).

But I would not recommend taking away usable space for an entertainment center. Mount a small flat screen on your wall - this will save you money and space.
I agree it's a bad idea to convert a closet to an entertainment centre and that wall mounted TVs save space - my living room TV is wall mounted.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:41 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Yes, 42" Plasma.

My wife likes watching TV in bed. I prefer the sofa, but we don't use it very often.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:10 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
When my now-husband and I first moved in together, I automatically assumed that we were going to have a television in our bedroom until he informed that he could not sleep with one on in the background. At first I was kind of put-off by it because I had a TV in my bedroom since I was a kid. That's how I grew up so I sort of just expected it. I got to a point where I kind of needed the sound of a TV in the background to fall asleep.

It has been many years since I've had a TV in the bedroom and I think it is for the better. However, we do watch Netflix on our phones or an iPad if we want to watch something in bed.

I still miss lying in bed and watching TV because that's where I like to watch TV but I think it's better for me. I have had screwed up sleep as long as I can remember and part of that is because I watched TV a lot and I would stay up late watching all kinds of garbage starting in middle school. We also got rid of cable when I had a period of unemployment and never got it back. I have a serious TV addiction so it's probably for the best.

I still kind of want one sometimes. I still want cable too. Bah.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Intellectuals don't have TVs in their houses at all.
Not true.

Intellectuals not only have TVs they are as capable of being TV buffs as anyone else. My favorite intellectual is watching a Dr. Who re-run on TV as I type this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating