Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 5,807 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forums, but I'm desperately seeking help.

My boyfriend has started talking about building a house, and he told me it was up to me to decorate. Well, that's fine; I love interior design and decorating, so I was thrilled. It was short lived though, because our styles are VERY different. I'm french country/rustic while he's modern/contemporary. Everything we showed each other was shot down by the other. Frustrated, we decided to divide up the house and decorate our specified rooms to our styles, but that's just not going to work. First of all, we're going to have an open floor plan, and I'm thinking it'd be pretty strange if the uber contemporary kitchen opened up into the quaint french living and dining rooms, but I also want to make this work. We're planning on spending our lives together, and I'd like our house to reflect how we've sort of intertwined ourselves with the other. Does that sound weird? Anyway, I've started compiling some pictures of what I THINK may be a happy medium, but I'd really like some outside input.

HELP PLEASE!!

Thanks in advance,

Ms. E.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 07:44 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
This is a lot more of a relationship question than a decor question. It's going to be a big test of your relationship.

Merge Your Stuff (Without Killing Each Other) - Cleaning & Organizing - Decor Tricks

So far you have gotten mixed messages. He said it was "up to you" to decorate, yet he vetoed all your ideas?

I would seriously look at hiring a designer who can help you merge your styles so it's not "all or nothing."

Old 06-23-2013, 07:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Surely there are SOME style ideas you can agree upon? Colors, finishes, art pieces? I would suggest that you find something that speaks to both of you, for the main living area, and branch out from there. For instance, he likes really clean lines - could he go for Amish furnishings? They usually have very clean lines but are a warm wood. You could build around that. What about a fantastic contemporary painting? That could be the focal point of the living room but you could pull colors from that painting and implement country French upholstery.

Some of the most striking rooms and decors combine modern and traditional. You need to find your common ground and then build from there.

I would NOT divide up the house into different styles. That would only frustrate both of you. But you know, this is a great opportunity to get really funky and awesome. Let him pick out the artwork and then you pick out some furnishings. You can also mix traditional upholstery with very contemporary occasional pieces, like, for instance, a very contemporary coffee table or end tables, or a traditional dining room table with contemporary chairs. This can really be an awesome look.

For your kitchen, I recommend stainless steel appliances and a fabulous sort of countertop. Then you can mix in traditional lighting or accessories. This look can really work, but it takes some finesse.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the article. Super helpful.

I will admit that I was pretty discouraged after our first discussion over decor. He's all straight lines, and I'm more about girly curves, you know. I think maybe there was one thing we agreed on the whole time, and it was a sink LOL. I tossed around the idea of hiring a designer, but I'm still sort of hopeful that I can come up with something we can both agree on, but it may have to come to it if I can't find some sort of middle ground. I sent him a giant file with ideas that I'd found that was pretty much rustic/modern stuff, so I guess we'll see how it turns out. Hopefully I can find somewhere to add french country touches to.

Anyone that's got any idea how I can do this, I'd love some feedback!

Thanks again.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 PM

KathrynAragon

I didn't see your post before I replied. Thanks so much for the feedback, and I agree that splitting up the rooms is a terrible idea! I never thought of Amish furnishings, but that's a great idea that I'll have to look into.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Do your bedroom in the French style, and do it so he thinks it is sexy.

I think the more modern styles are better in an open floor plan, but I am sure you could add a piece or two to a room. In a great room setup, the idea is comfort and functionality. I think modern, or transitional furniture, works best in that case.

Another thing to try, is to add a French piece into the modern room as an accent piece. And add a modern piece into the French room as an accent piece.

But I think the French stuff is just made for an boudoir look.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM

240 posts, read 807,788 times
I am in the same dilemma. My boyfriend loves mid-century modern and I lean more along the same lines as you with French Country. We first decided on what pieces we would not be willing to part with (grandmother's buffet and other family items) then went from there. We are learning to combine styles and it hasn't been too bad. I know that Pinterest was a great help for me. I certainly sympathize with what you are going through!

Old 06-24-2013, 02:38 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Furnish the house from Restoration Hardware? For some reason hearing the two styles made me immediately think of their style.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:03 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
It's tricky, but doable.

Try to find things you both love, like colors, fabrics, artwork, etc.

I agree, dividing rooms so that some are French Country and some are Modern is going to look awkward.

It might help if both of you made a virtual scrapbook of stuff that you like - finished rooms, colors, fabrics, accent pieces, and you then looked for common elements.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:41 PM

Thanks so much for ALL the advice! @silibran - He was so against a straight up French Country bedroom. That was one of the biggest disagreements as far as the decor. The bedroom. We both obviously want to feel comfortable there, so I can't just go completely against his wishes. @Thila - It's nice to know that other people can relate. I've been scouring Pinterest for a few days now, and came up with quite a few good ideas myself. @DetroitN8V - EXCELLENT suggestion. I'm definitely bookmarking that page. @Wry_Martini - Great advice. I actually started doing that yesterday. Finding stuff that I think we'd both like and showing it to him. I think I had about 20 or so pictures, and we actually ended up with about 5 that we both liked a lot. It may not seem like a lot, but at least it's progress, right? Having him finding some stuff would be a great idea though, so I'll definitely ask him about it.

The biggest breakthrough was the kitchen. He's the chef in the relationship, so that's definitely his territory, but he was very actually very accepting to this:

He says he likes the idea of brick or even raw stone walls with the wood floors, and that's definitely something I can work with.

You guys are giving me great ideas, and I'm starting to feel like this isn't completely hopeless, so thanks again for all the suggestions. Keep 'em coming!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating