Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:48 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times

Advertisements

I am moving into a new apartment in a different city, leaving my gorgeous French servant's cottage in New Orleans. I am sorry to go, and sorrier still that my furniture will need to be updated to better complement my new surroundings. My new building was built in the 1930s and is very Art Deco. I am having trouble finding an appropriate sofa for less than 2 grand.

My requirements? Velvet, plushy, grey or silver (my area rug is purple and my accent tables are mirrored).

I love Restoration Hardware's Maxime Sofa
Maxime Upholstered Sofas | Sofas | Restoration Hardware

but I am not comfortable paying that much.

I also don't have anything super huge as my new apartment is 960 sq ft. And I tend to move a lot for work, so something that is easy to haul would be optimal.

All suggestions appreciated! Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 05:07 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Some of the smaller sizes are in your price range, on sale. If you love it, you should get it.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:14 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Ikea has sofas that look like that. They're also lightweight. You could buy one and have it reupholstered with a nice fabric for less than $100, I would think. Or you can buy a nice slipcover for it. There are places on line that sell custom covers for ikea furniture so it doesn't look cheap. You can also buy a used sofa and have it re-upholstered.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:24 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
I've seen one like that before at Z Gallerie. Not sure of the quality, but it was pretty, and cheaper than Restoration Hardware.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:06 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
You could check with one of the furniture stores in Hickory, NC. I've bought all my furniture for the past 15 years that way. Just find what you like, call the store, give them the manufacturer name and item # or name, and they will tell you their price. Even with shipping, I always save money over buying locally. I have always used Lindy's Furniture....it's been around for almost a hundred years, but there are many, many furniture stores in NC that sell at good discounts.
Lindy's Furniture

Old 07-02-2013, 08:45 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Ikea has sofas that look like that. They're also lightweight. You could buy one and have it reupholstered with a nice fabric for less than $100, I would think. Or you can buy a nice slipcover for it. There are places on line that sell custom covers for ikea furniture so it doesn't look cheap. You can also buy a used sofa and have it re-upholstered.
you will be extremely hard-pressed to upholster a sofa for Material + Labor for $100 (especially with a "nice" fabric). Let's take a 6' version of the sofa posted. You're probably looking at 11-12 yards. Let's say you get a decent quality upholstery fabric on the budget end of the scale AND it is 50% off and you're still probably spending $15-$20/yard x 12 yards. Let's average that out and say $210 for fabric. Then labor (obviously varies with a lot of things but...) I'd estimate about $350 going to someone who is actually going to do a decent job.

Certainly where you live, the quality you are looking for, and the price of your fabric factor in, and I had to make some general assumptions for those, but if you are taking it to someone else to reupholster (ie not doing the labor yourself) and also including the cost of the fabric, you'd have a hard time getting out with a decent quality <$500 and I made my assumptions on the low side.

Buying used and reupholstering is really fun and can be a great way to have a truly unique piece or even save money if you can find a really well-made or collectible piece that needs some TLC. However, just don't go into this kind of project with unrealistic expectations of cost. That's the biggest problem people make with reupholstery.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:00 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times
Here are some I found. What are your opinions on these?

Coaster Alexis Transitional Chesterfield Sofa with Track Arms - Coaster Fine Furniture

Ava Velvet Tufted Sleeper Sofa - Urban Outfitters

Dark Raisin Grey Allegro Sofa | Overstock.com

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...8/product.html

http://www.overstock.com/pt/Home-Gar...ml?searchidx=0

Last edited by confusedasusual; 07-02-2013 at 07:15 PM..

Old 07-03-2013, 12:11 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
I would look to a place like West Elm. This one even comes in velvet.

Chester Tufted Upholstered Sofa | west elm

Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,810 times

I like the first three.

I would be worried about getting something from Urban Outfitters. My experience is that their stuff isn't great quality. You will probably throw it away in a year.

Agree about West Elm, but LOTS of people have that furniture. I have three friends with the same sofa. If it were me, I would want something a little more obscure.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,810 times
How about this one?

Emma Tufted Sofa - Sofas - Living Room - Furniture | HomeDecorators.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating