Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:00 AM

378 posts, read 761,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Isn't that chair awesome?

Well, I stripped down the table, but the top was too saturated with some sort of stains and very old paint, for me to be able to sand down and stain. Darn! I was really wanting to stain the top and then paint the base and legs in the bronze.

So now I've primed the whole thing and am about to get out in the garage before this Texas summer day gets too hot, and just paint the whole thing in the burnished color. I may do some stenciling on the top - we'll see how it looks when the paint is dry! I'll post pictures - meanwhile if anyone has any ideas for some sort of finish on the top, SHARE THEM!
Stenciling sounds awesome, especially if it's somewhat translucent against the dark color so that it takes on an aged, muted look. I have a desk that's basically a black with muted hand-painting. It looks slightly vintage and rustic, but not at all over-the-top shabby chic or anything. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow (when I have some decent light!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I painted it the bronzy black but so far I haven't done anything else to it - I keep walking past it going, "Hmmm...."

Old 07-09-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vary View Post
Stenciling sounds awesome, especially if it's somewhat translucent against the dark color so that it takes on an aged, muted look. I have a desk that's basically a black with muted hand-painting. It looks slightly vintage and rustic, but not at all over-the-top shabby chic or anything. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow (when I have some decent light!)
Please post a picture! I'm leaning toward some subtle stenciling.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:49 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethyloh View Post
Nice table.

Please don't do anything to it that even remotely resembles shabby chic.

I never understood why someone would take a nice piece of furniture with great potential, sand it down, and then instead of finishing it nicely, end up making it look worse than it originally did.
I agree, I know it's just my personal opinion but I would sand down the piece then stain it if you
don't like the color of the wood, or seal it...to me natural wood furniture is beautiful.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:55 PM

I've posted three photos in an album in my profile. One is the top of the desk, which has brighter paint, the front, which has more muted, transparent paint accents, and of a trunk that I have with beautiful, slightly transparent hand-painted designs on it. I hope these inspire you!

Old 07-15-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I agree, I know it's just my personal opinion but I would sand down the piece then stain it if you
don't like the color of the wood, or seal it...to me natural wood furniture is beautiful.
Well, I sanded and sanded but the top was simply too stained with something black to make it work, so I ended up painting the entire table in that blackish bronze color I was describing. Now I just keep walking past it in my garage trying to decide if I am going to do some sort of stenciling or other effect on the top. I am leaning toward NOT doing anything, since I am predisposed to slap a stencil on just about anything! Maybe less is more in this case! Will post a pic after I decide one way or the other!

Old 07-15-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vary View Post
I've posted three photos in an album in my profile. One is the top of the desk, which has brighter paint, the front, which has more muted, transparent paint accents, and of a trunk that I have with beautiful, slightly transparent hand-painted designs on it. I hope these inspire you!

Those pictures are AWESOME! Yes, I am inspired. Now I have something to think about...

Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 PM

Glad to help! Be sure to post pictures of the final product, I'd love to see it!

Old 07-23-2013, 07:52 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
How is your project coming along Kathryn ?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:17 PM

6 posts, read 8,136 times
What a beautiful table. I love the idea of using the black finish- maybe try the gold petina...and if you don't like it then you can just paint over it??! Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating