Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:46 PM

6,723 posts, read 13,942,474 times

Advertisements

A double sink is nice to have but it would not be a deal breaker on me purchasing a new home. I have double sinks now and going to single sink would be considered a downgrade. To each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:10 PM

18,383 posts, read 31,494,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My kids never used the bathroom at the same time (once they were able to do things on their own)... and I don't think they were unusual in that aspect.

neither did mine, and they are all boys.

I feel like the bathroom is the one place in the house/apartment where you can really be alone and not have anyone standing right next to you.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:30 AM

492 posts, read 635,253 times
I think its more a question of vanity space. For instance, the house I just bought has 18 feet of vanity counter top in the master. It would be absolutely silly not to have two sinks. Now that is an extreme example, but I would think once you hit 60 inches of counter space or better you might as well have two sinks.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:33 AM

22,338 posts, read 47,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Sometimes, it's not about using the sinks at the exact same time, but the fact that each person can have their preferred soap and other toiletry products close at hand, at their own sink. I wouldn't want my hypothetical husband to grab my dispenser of facial cleanser by accident, thinking it was his hand soap.
Meh. Still doable without two sinks.
My husband has the left side of the vanity and I have the right side.
He has never grabbed my things by mistake (or vice versa).

Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 AM

18,383 posts, read 31,494,900 times
Quote:
Meh. Still doable without two sinks.
My husband has the left side of the vanity and I have the right side.
He has never grabbed my things by mistake (or vice versa).

I agree.

Besides taking the wrong soap is not the end of the world especially if it is the one you love.

that wouldnt make me feel the need for 2 sinks. 2 cabinets maybe, but not sinks.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,440,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Kathy my friend I have to disagree with you on this one (which is unusual you know).....I refused to live with something I don't like just because of resale - because at some distant date we may decide to sell. In the meantime, we live in the home, we don't plan to move (we are retired), and we prefer the counter space to 2 sinks (which we don't need).

When we moved into our home we changed all kinds of things - all the 4 vanities, all the toilets, all the flooring, the furnace, upgraded the air conditioning, all the appliances, hardware, most of the doorknobs, redid the screened in porch, re-landscaped the entire large yard (by ourselves), paint, some new windows and much more.

Potential buyers rarely like every single aspect of a home when they buy....and I seriously doubt that any buyer would look at our home with it's hundreds of wonderful features and think - "gosh if it only had dual sinks in the master bath, I would buy it." So I say - do the things to your home (within reason) that make you comfortable and suit your needs and taste and don't worry about resale.

Oh, we don't disagree on this - each bathroom is different. I was just making a GENERAL statement. I sold real estate for several years and in our local market, if there's room for two sinks in the master bath, it's generally MUCH preferred.

I only recommend that people consider resale because the average time a family owns a home is five years - which means that resale is USUALLY an issue. Sure, be comfortable in your own home, but if you're likely to be selling it in the future (which most people are), it's pretty smart to consider each change and improvement you make in light of the probability of resale and how that change will affect resale values.

I'm actually in the midst of all this thought process as we speak. We would like a pool, but since our house is already one of the largest, and newest, in our neighborhood, it's already at the top of the neighborhood "price." If we build a pool, we would probably not get our money back on that investment if and when we sell. So we probably will not build a pool, even though we would really like one, in this neighborhood. We need to either buy another home that already has a pool, buy a home in another neighborhood that's on the lower end of the price scale for that neighborhood (in a neighborhood of homes with pools) and put a pool in there, or build a new home elsewhere in such a neighborhood and include a pool (most expensive option and one I'd like to avoid).

However, a couple of years ago, we added a big patio, pergola and hot tub. We may or may not get all that money back when we sell, but we don't care - we've enjoyed it a lot and it was well worth the expense (of course, it wasn't nearly as expensive as a pool!). So - there's a line and everyone has to figure out how much they are willing to compromise when it comes to resale.

Of course, someone who genuinely means to live in a home for DECADES more doesn't need to be as concerned as someone whose family scenario is likely to change often over the next couple of decades (job transfers, promotions, having children, raising teens, kids moving out, empty nest, retiring, etc etc).

Generally speaking, in our local market, people prefer two sinks in the master - or at least the SPACE to have two sinks (they may be open to adding their own). They also prefer that the master bedroom be downstairs, rather than all bedrooms upstairs. They also prefer side or rear entry garages. All this plays into resale, value, and the competitive edge when the house is on the market - but of course, homes with one sink in the master, all bedrooms upstairs, front facing garages, pools AND hot tubs usually eventually sell!

I always think about resale - but I don't worry about it. It's never far from my mind though, when I'm looking at COSTLY items. Less costly ones - I do what I please and to heck with it. For instance, we painted our master bedroom ceiling blue. Maybe someone won't like it. So what? I love it!

If someone has the ROOM for dual sinks in the master bath, I think it's a good idea to put dual sinks in there, if they're concerned about resale. If not, have at it.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I think its more a question of vanity space. For instance, the house I just bought has 18 feet of vanity counter top in the master. It would be absolutely silly not to have two sinks. Now that is an extreme example, but I would think once you hit 60 inches of counter space or better you might as well have two sinks.
This.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
My kids never used the bathroom at the same time (once they were able to do things on their own)... and I don't think they were unusual in that aspect.
I have two girls and two boys - all two years apart. It was very common for the two girls or two boys to be getting ready in the mornings, two at a time, in each bathroom. I don't think they were unusual in that respect.

Here's one of my personal mottos - "Never unnecessarily limit your options." Applied to this scenario, it translates to this:

"If the bathroom vanity area is big enough to include two sinks and plenty of counter space, and you can afford to add two sinks - in any bathroom - then why not do so, if you're ever planning on selling your home? Many people LIKE having two sinks in a spacious bathroom and very few people actually DISLIKE having two sinks, so why limit your options unnecessarily?"

I mean, it's not like the average future buyer is going to walk into a well proportioned bathroom that includes two sinks and say, "OMG, I really wish there was only one sink in here." However, MANY future buyers will walk into a spacious master with only one sink and say, "I really wish there were two sinks in here." And a good number of buyers will walk into a spacious secondary bathroom with two sinks and say, "Wow, nice! I really like having two sinks in this large bathroom," - especially if they have several kids. It's not at all unusual for several kids to be brushing their teeth or whatever in the same bathroom on busy school mornings.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,143,404 times
Quote:
DH and I never get ready side by side.
We also do not have (or want!) dual sinks. We also prefer one sink with more counter space.
We have both--2 sinks and a lot of counter space

I won't go back to one sink in the master---it's just nice not having to wash DH's toothpaste out of "my" sink

Old 07-11-2013, 10:56 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,415,759 times
We built a house in 1996 and had double sinks in both Master Bath and the Hall bathway. Loved it. 2nd home had double in master - but single in kids bathroom - 3rd and 4th houses double in both again. I love double. I did like the separate vanities in the 3rd house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating