Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 04:06 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times

Advertisements

Hi all - first post in this section and hoping for some general guidance:

We have carpet on our walk-out basement level and need to replace it all. We don't want carpet anymore. But wood is out, as we live on a steep hill and I don't want the cost of replacing wood flooring if there is ever any kind of leak or moisture. <crosses fingers>

I was interested in wood-look vinyl, then was in a big box store the other day and saw it, at about $2.69 a sq. ft. Armstrong, I think -- I wasn't taking notes, as we're a ways away from this, so I'm just getting general impressions.

But funnily enough, while walking through the tile aisle in the same store, I saw wood-look stone tile, looked almost exactly the same, and it was the same price. Maybe 10 cents sq ft different.

This surprised me; I always saw vinyl as considerably cheaper than tile. I don't think either was on a drastic markdown either. How could they both be around the same price?

And which would you recommend on a concrete slab basement (for all intents and purposes)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 04:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Assuming you are OK with the fact that the tile WILL transmit much more of the COLD to your feet than vinyl will AND the fact that tile is noisier AND the fact that tile is not kind to things that fall onto it (including little kids and old people) and it sucks to stand in place on cold tile and try to cook / wash dishes I do prefer tile for a basement IF the potential for EITHER seepage or even just condensation means that mold COULD be an issue under the flooring.

To deal with the cold there lots of relatively affordable electrical under tile heating systems. If you want to be "green" use cheap AREA RUGS that are perfect for a basement and minimize MOST of the above negatives!

Tile is just so much more DURABLE and HYGENIC that its other downsides are not a factor in a basement.

Vinyl flooring is often setup to be a "no brainer DIY" install. Tile can be done by DIYers BUT the best tile setter are FASTER and BETTER than any amateur some of the nicer wood look tiles have VERY narrow grout lines that are NOT forgiving -- a wider line allows some wiggle room for first timers, but those narrow lines need a PRO with hands like surgeon to keep the "illusion" of planed flooring going from edge to edge.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I think you could use either, but tile (it surely is not stone, but fired clay) would be more permanent. But tile will sometimes crack, and vinyl will not. Also vinyl will be easier on your feet.

So each product has is advantages.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:47 PM

With modern installation technique (like a properly installed isolation membrane) tile won't crack unless the house is split across the San Andreas Fault...

Old 07-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Yep, lots of area rugs in our future, either way. It's cold down there regardless, thanks to most of it being below grade. I'm not planning on radiant heating, though it is mighty enticing, as I see too much anecdotal evidence of faulty systems or cracked pipes or wiring issues necessitating ripping up some or all of your flooring.

Just family room, two bedrooms and a bathroom on that level, so no worries about standing for long periods or dropping the heirloom china.

I'm leaning toward vinyl, though, as I know myself and my maintenance flightiness, and anything that requires maintenance (like grout resealing) is doomed to not get done.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 PM

Modern grout sealants are "once and done" type applications, especially for the dark narrow grout that is typical for the wood-look tiles.

You would not be looking at hydronic heat except for new construction and even then PEX is extremely durable stuff. Modern under-tile electric heat is pretty trouble free stuff, lifetime warranty is pretty standard -- Floor Heating Mats, Thermotile Warranty - ThermoSoft

Old 07-08-2013, 08:50 AM

Hmmm. Thanks, chet, will have to cogitate over this a while. Once and done is my kind of product

Old 07-08-2013, 12:36 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
We used allure brand vinyl flooring in our last house and it looks great, it was super easy to install it took us a day to lay about 600sq ft. We are looking at installing the same in our new home as with dogs it doesn't mark and is easy to clean.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:33 PM

thanks for the recommendation, jan!

Old 07-08-2013, 04:51 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,032,189 times
I just installed wood like tiles in my kitchen and have been very happy with it. I have area rugs so standing on it is not difficult. For a basement I would use the tiles since you would never have to replace them unless you wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating