Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,268 times

Advertisements

Just purchased a historic home that features this bedroom. The focus wall has the teal, brown and silver wallpaper and the others are painted in a light teal. Please give me decoration advice for the nightstand, walls, curtains and bedding. I really have no idea where to start!! Thanks

- see attachment for picture!
Attached Thumbnails
No idea how to decorate - bedroom - advice please!!!-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Sooo... do you want to keep that wallpaper?
That's where I would start... wallpaper removal.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:03 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Unless "historic" means "something out of the 1970s," the wallpaper must go.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Hey have fun with that wallpaper. Do a google search for Teal Bedding sets

Old 07-18-2013, 11:04 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
In the photo, the pale color looks greener than the teal in the wallpaper. It is not working. If you are married to the idea of keeping the wallpaper, I think you need a darker value, either teal or gray, but the best thing to do is take the wallpaper down and go from there.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I agree with gentlearts. The wall color does not appear "right" used with the wallpaper. I think you should ask yourself if you love the wallpaper. It does not say "historic house" to me. But if you like it, then kaye has the right idea, I think. Pick up the vibrant colors in the bed linens, but paint those other walls.

Depending on the bed linens, you might choose a blue or green gray which would keep the walls cooler. You have a warm wood floor, so you could consider painting the ceiling a warm light neutral. If it weren't for the silvery color in the wallpaper, I would consider painting the walls a tan, but I think the silver color calls for gray. At any rate, if you go blue green bed linens and gray walls, then you have to add some warmth in. The wood floor does add some of that, and IMO, the ceiling should echo the floor. And accents might be spots of dark brown, or red orange.

If you remove the wallpaper, then you have a blank slate, except for the floor. With the wallpaper, everything you add to the room needs to key off that because it is so dominant in the room. At any rate, choose the bed lines first, then choose the paint.

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:50 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
If you don't want to tear down the wallpaper I still say just have fun with it. It's pretty easy to pick up a bed set to match it whatever shade of teal it turns out to be.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:26 PM

452 posts, read 898,335 times
I say keep the wallpaper maybe get an upholstered headboard with nail trim make it off white or white. Silver or mirrored nightstands with some fun/funky retro lamps. I might get rid of the fan and put in a chandelier unless you need the fan for cooling then practicality overrides. The bedding instead of going with something dark maybe keep it white or off white same tone as headboard just a different texture but add your sheets in the brown or turquoise for color with a pop of color in the decorative pillows. Get a nice size rug to in front of or on the sides of the bed for a contrast-not light to ground the whole design. The drapes I would change to a lighter color or almost mimic the color of the wall instead of the brown.

As for the color of the walls I might suggest you find the color of the turquoise that is in the wallpaper then go 2-3 shades lighter-if that is what you did then you should be good and it is the picture quality. The wallpaper is very dark and heavy with that in mind try to keep the rest of the room the warm color but it needs to be lightened/reflective up. Just my thoughts.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Aw, I like the wallpaper!

Besides, it's probably pasted to plaster, which would be a bear to remove without damage.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:50 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,297 times
The first thing that came to mind was William Morris. Do you like the Arts and Crafts style?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating