Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:39 PM

41 posts, read 87,263 times

Advertisements

We are gut repairing our house (after Sandy). We are somewhat stuck with decision on trim material and finish.
We used to have natural white oak hardwood floors (we plan to install the same); baseboards, shoe moldings, window trim, door trim, staircase – was all oak in clear poly.
We loved one of the rooms where carpenter did an amazing job w/window trim and all those tiny proper mitered returns, stools (window ledges), aprons etc.
Based on what I see online in different RE postings, even high end homes have mostly white trim (not natural or stained wood). Is this s trend these days?

We like natural wood look. However, if we put all natural oak trim back, I am afraid that house will feel dated and overwhelmingly “oaky”.

I also feel that white baseboards if chosen to be wider/higher will help disappear those ugly heating baseboards.
I used to like traditional style, but I am noticing that my tastes change towards cool contemporary style. I still love the look of natural wood but I have no idea if it can be used in a less traditional style.

So, what is your take on trim? Oak or white? If white, mdf or poly or preprimed softwood?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 11:03 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
It basically boils down to cost-
And pine (primed or not) is the best choice. To get really cheap is to go MDF. I don't like it, don't use it, don't spec it. It's too soft! Dents easily; gouges easily, and those don't repair easily. Nor does it prep well- nail holes tend to pucker. then pucker a little more when paint gets added.

And if it gets wet- it "grows" from 1/2" to 1" in a matter of hours.

PVC/Marley is usually used for exterior purposes- there it's worth the cost.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:00 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times
I second pine trim. If you're going to paint it white, you can save a little money by purchasing the paintable grade; it has finger joints running through it. I'm not a big fan of it, but if you're trying to save a lot of money it's okay. If you purchase it already primed, it may have those finger joints, check the wood before you buy.

If you like the look of unpainted trim, buy good quality pine trim and see how you like it before you paint it. You can always paint it later.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:19 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
well in what style is the house? i know it's being built now, but if its a craftsman style, or in the Victorian style, or a more modern style, then that will also affect the decision of what type/color of trim. but most if all do what YOU like. there will always be a buying who will like it!

Old 08-13-2013, 08:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
If you are subject to more future water damage, MDF is the worst choice, it will swell and warp almost immediately when whet, and retain moisture which leads to mold. Pine is better, Oak better yet, Mahogany even better as it has more oils in it. The best is the solid PVC if you want white or will paint it. Just use a primer for plastic (Krylon) and use regular interior latex over it.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 AM

41 posts, read 87,263 times
Thank you, all. My house style is raised ranch, very typical in the area, median price for the county, built in earl 50s. We used to have oak baseboards throughout but they are now gone b/c of demo. We installed pvc trim in our main bathroom before Sandy hit b/c it is a wet location by definition and there is window above the tub. We did not have to demo inside walls in that bathroom after flooding since walls are tile over cement-board (no organic-derived material).

My question is more about style and style perception. Based on what I see these days on RE pics, about 90% of all homes(even higher range like 1M+) have white trim.
We also never had crown moldings since our ceilings are only 8ft.
Now, that our plaster walls are gone, we will be installing 5/8 sheetrock and there may be a gap on a perimeter where walls and ceiling meet. If we are to add oak crown moldings to cover this gap up, then it might be too much of the oak.
My concern that if we install oak trim (baseboards, door, window casings, crown) + staircase, it may feel "oaky" and dated right away.

What do you think?

Old 08-13-2013, 12:46 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAthena View Post
Based on what I see these days on RE pics, about 90% of all homes(even higher range like 1M+) have white trim.

...it may feel "oaky" and dated right away.

What do you think?

I think you answered your own question!

Old 08-13-2013, 05:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Trim and millwork are such important details, no?

You can put wood millwork in and paint. The white does not have to be PVC. If you want to be true to the era of your house, I'd go with wood, but not necessarily the light oak. (I don't like the look, myself.) If you like a more beachy or cottagey feel, then use white. And you are right, the trim and doors should match. You could use a darker oak for the floors (not necessarily really dark) and use trim in a lighter but similar tone in the rest of the house.

If the trim will be the narrower trim of the '70s and '80s, then I might use wood tones. If the trim will be wider, then I think I'd want to go white. And the trim does not have to be chalk white. It can be ivory or even lightest tan. If you go white, do not use slab doors.

This might be a chance to update your look. Or you might want to keep the house period perfect.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
My house was a 1980's horror, loaded with oak everywhere & mauve countertops. We painted the old trim white immediately. Little by little we have upgraded all of the moulding.
My DH builds 10 million dollar plus homes for a living and they mostly have white trim. Some in the more modern style have oak, but its waxed, never stained.
here's what my trim looks like

Old 08-13-2013, 08:57 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
If you like stained trim, get stained trim. Who cares what anyone else thinks or what the trends are?

Funny thing about trends ... they change with the drop of a hat. Better to be true to yourself and what you want than to be a lemming and follow what everyone else does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating