Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 11:48 AM

754 posts, read 1,733,242 times

Advertisements

The previous homeowners installed expensive custom blinds throughout our home in every room. While I love the look and functionality of the blinds, I really want to install drapes, or maybe valances, in some of the rooms (like dining room, living room, family room etc). The problem is for some reason they decided to install all the blinds outside the window instead of inside the frame. The bar of the blinds stick out roughly 3-4 inches. Do you all have any idea how to hang drapes or a valance over an outside mount blind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,906,202 times
No problem all you need to do is use a pole and they mount on a projection bracket.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:27 PM

Is there a place to special order extra long brackets? none of the ones I have seen would fit over our windows.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:50 PM

4,147 posts, read 6,837,227 times
You can utilize an L bracket (Everbilt 3 in. Zinc Plated Corner Braces (4-Pack)-15307 at The Home Depot) of whatever length you need, and then attach a 1-hole conduit strap (Home Depot - 3/4 in. 1-Hole Conduit Straps (4-Pack) customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings) to it with a threaded bolt and washer.

Make sure the conduit strap is sized to accept the diameter of the rod. Screw the L bracket to the wall.

This is all I ever use for curtain rod supports. I never buy "actual" curtain rod supports. I just spray paint them whatever color I want.

In fact, I don't even use curtain rods, I just get EMT conduit of whatever diameter I want cut to the exact length I want. No extension poles, sagging due to the extension, or visible difference in diameter where one has to slide inside the other.

Last edited by Sunbather; 08-15-2013 at 08:47 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,545,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
The previous homeowners installed expensive custom blinds throughout our home in every room. While I love the look and functionality of the blinds, I really want to install drapes, or maybe valances, in some of the rooms (like dining room, living room, family room etc). The problem is for some reason they decided to install all the blinds outside the window instead of inside the frame. The bar of the blinds stick out roughly 3-4 inches. Do you all have any idea how to hang drapes or a valance over an outside mount blind?

What about ceiling mounted brackets? I have seen then but never used them - but then you would still have a lot of open space between the window and the actual curtain. Hmmmm.....what about either making or buying a cornice to cover the blinds and any potential rod you might install for draperies - here's a picture I found. Not sure what you style is, but this is an example of what you could do. I have seen cornices in wood, or in elegant fabrics with or without draperies underneath them. Or, you could remove the blinds altogether, patch the holes, paint the room and put up something that suits your needs better. Even though they are expensive - if you don't like them it won't matter in the long run. Time to make this your home with your own tastes. There are many sites online that could provide you a direction to consider - good luck!!!!!

Old 08-15-2013, 10:44 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,961,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
Is there a place to special order extra long brackets? none of the ones I have seen would fit over our windows.
Yes, and you can even buy adjustable ones.

Rod Desyne Adjustable Curtain Rod Brackets - jcpenney

Bronze Window Extension Brackets - Bed Bath & Beyond

Old 08-16-2013, 06:56 AM

49,970 posts, read 63,277,013 times
I agree about taking some of the blinds out. Our house had blinds in every window, too. They were very practical and good quality, but I'm a person who wants to bring the outside into my house, not block it out, so we removed all but a few of them.
You can carefully store them, and put them up later if you want. It is very easy to patch the holes and repair the paint. Was there not enough space to recess the blinds? Too bad.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:27 PM

Thanks so much for the input!

I think I am going to take a combination of your advice by removing the blinds in some of the rooms (dining and living room specifically) and doing treatments there, but in the family room and library leave them in and try the extension brackets. I am still torn about our master though. Decisions...Decisions...

Old 09-02-2013, 08:49 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,346,090 times
Are they mini-blinds? Ugh. My house had old metal mini-blinds (recessed) in all three bedrooms but I couldn't stand them, so I had them replaced with 2" white faux-wood blinds. In the master, one window is a double, with individual blinds on each window but a long outside valance over both. Regardless, I mounted a rod high up on the wall and bought 96" curtains to "frame" the window on both sides, and make the ceiling look higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating