Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,192,872 times

Advertisements

here is my experience with quality... growing up in a household that was about 100% quality (drives one nuts)... ALL your furniture stores (chains) have the good and the bad.. I would never pay those outrageous prices at Pottery Barn - personally - for what you get.

Here is what you need to look for
Are the drawers stapled and/or glued? - don't buy it.. (this is a cut corner that 99% of people don't understand)..
Do the drawers slide out with EASE... do you have to yank. twist, jiggle to get the drawer out - don't buy it.
Lean up against it = or shake it - as if you were to move it across the room... does it feel like the legs will fall off? does it feel shakey or off balance - don't buy it.
Knock on it as if you were knocking on a door - does it sound hollow? - don't buy it... (I suggest knocking on some 2x4s to get a "sense" of what SOLID wood sounds like.
READ the ENTIRE description - does it mention Veneer - don't buy it. (this is a preference - just not mine).

Many stores price their items based on what people are willing to pay for them... pottery barn is no exception.. I do think the looks are "nice" but to sterile for my tastes and I would never ever pay that much for glued and stapled drawers... (wood expands and contracts with dry/humid climates... now picture the expansion and contraction over a few years with glue and/or staples - not pretty)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 04:35 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,908,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes.
We had friends who bought from EA who had to take it back. Ditto Ikea.

Pottery Barn is owned by Williams Sonoma and we get bombarded with both glossy catalogues, they are selling a certain look, sleek yet slightly traditional, and doing quite well with it. They also own West Elm, aimed at a younger demographic.

Restoration Hardware is much the same--but pricier.

A lot of people sneer at these "lifestyle retailers." I understand this, and it is important to support locals and/or artisans.
We do try to do that.
Or at the very least, hit a PB outlet.

Years ago we had a huge, sturdy oak table made by Colorado artisans, we were very happy with it and had many a good time at that table.
In late May, we moved here; that table and other pieces just did not work with this coastal house.
We did look around for a couple months, but could not wait the years and years of methodical research to decorate this place with handhewn heirloom type furniture.
We have family arriving next week.
I furnished my little office with some second-hand furniture, some of it very nice, some of it on the funky side--but no way would my husband go that route for the entire house.
We ended up with a Pottery Barn dining table, rug and console (the console was on sale, as was the rug, which helped). They have been absolutely fine--so far.
(Maybe the Smart Money article (it was in '06) shook things up a bit. )
For those interested:
We are still happy with our Pottery Barn dining table. It is holding up very well.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:40 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,104,614 times
The only "catalogue" type furniture we have is from Lexington and everyone who comes over exclaims about it. We have been impressed with the hardiness/wear/tear, too.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:12 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,189,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

I have a beautiful old roll-top desk I inherited from my grandma, also an intricately woven Nantucket lightship basket: these things were slowly, carefully made, have been around for half a century or more, and will be around after I die.
Will our Pottery Barn dining table still be around decades after I kick the bucket?
Yes, I think so. Will *every single PB item* last for centuries?
No, but IMHO the same could be said of Ikea or Crate and Barrel, not all of those creations are created equal, either.
This is exactly why my next house is being furnished mostly in antiques. The prices in retail stores for Made in China particle board is outrageous.

My only issue is finding older and antique, quality pieces, without making your house look drab and smell like an antique store. It is a balancing act to keep it somewhat fresh.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 AM

9 posts, read 14,904 times
We love the style of Pottery Barn...................... Our master bathroom double sink w. cabinet is from pottery barn..... my husband think i could get the similar design & quality at a less expensive price...............

Please let me know if anyone would agree with him. LOL.

Sandy K

Old 11-05-2013, 11:19 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,084,521 times
I don't know if anyone else noticed this but PB used to have a feedback option for customers to leave comments about the products they bought. I found it extremely helpful. Now its gone. Well the option to leave feedback is still there but its just to PB, the comments are not made public. This really ticked me off. I have heard good and bad about the furniture. One of the complaints I saw most often was the furniture scratches easily, as if the varnish or stain was inadequate.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:14 PM

229 posts, read 231,689 times
I purchased a leather sofa from PB and love it. their prices are expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating