Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 08:31 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times

Advertisements

We need to replace the flooring in 2 bedrooms upstairs. I prefer not to use carpet. What is the most durable and economical way? We thought laminate but have had that in the past and it didn't hold up that well. It was in high traffic areas though. (living, dining and kitchen areas)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 09:10 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,298,352 times
If laminate hasn't held up in the past then you know the answer to your question. Go with a softer material like Hardwood, or engineered hardwood that you can refinish after you abuse it.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:17 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,830,458 times
I like hardwood too. If you do laminate in the bedroom you could also put down a nice rug through the areas with more traffic.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:47 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I like hardwood too. If you do laminate in the bedroom you could also put down a nice rug through the areas with more traffic.
That's true, I thought about that. It will probably be the best way to make it work. I do like hardwood the best but I'm afraid it will be out of our budget.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Good laminate should last quite well. Budget priced laminate or engineered wood is not a good investment.

If you can't afford hardwoods, and you don't want laminate, then you will get carpet, I imagine. Carpet is very nice in bedrooms.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:18 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,827,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Good laminate should last quite well. Budget priced laminate or engineered wood is not a good investment.

If you can't afford hardwoods, and you don't want laminate, then you will get carpet, I imagine. Carpet is very nice in bedrooms.
I agree about the different grades of laminate. Ironically, we just did laminate flooring in my living room and dining room today. We were on a budget because this was an unexpected expense. They had very inexpensive stuff $0.69/sqft that had like a 5-year warranty, some midrange products with 10-15 year warranty, and the better stuff with 20-25 or lifetime warranty. I went with a 10mm laminate that has a lifetime warranty.

My wife wouldn't allow carpet because she hates it, and that is what was being replaced because we have a cat who apparently prefers carpet to the litterbox. We had no carpeting in any common areas in our old house, just a few bedrooms where the cat was not permitted.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:15 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

There are other good options!! And our bedroom would be the very last place I would want carpet, due to the dust and allergens that build up in carpet, and the number of hours I spend in our bedroom.

The home we purchased last year had a lot of wood-look porcelain tile. We thought it was genuine wood the first time we looked at the home! It is VERY durable (the person we bought from said her kids roller-skated on it). After we moved in, we were able to find the exact same tile, to have installed in an adjacent area. It was $12/sq ft, but we were only able to buy enough for 1 room, as this particular tile had been discontinued. We also wanted wood-look tile in our bedroom, and found something very similar at a tile store for $5/sq ft. We have been completely thrilled with both the $12 and the $5 porcelain tile.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:15 PM

Sure tile would be great, I guess. I think I'd want a rug down, but I suppose you could tile a bedroom.

You could also put down vinyl or Marmoleum, but it isn't generally done. That doesn't mean you can't do it if you want to though.

OP is on a budget. How does wood look tile compare in cost to a good carpet?

Old 10-10-2013, 03:22 PM

48 posts, read 84,417 times
One of my favorite cottage decor blogs used interlocking resilient vinyl plank flooring called Country Pine by Trafficmaster Allure - available at Home Depot for $1.89 per square foot. The reviews for it are generally very good - 4.6 out of 5. It doesn't get the same shine that hardwood floors can achieve, but it seems practically indestructible and attractive otherwise, and the homeowner used it in her kitchen, living, and dining rooms.

If you want to go cheaper, we've tried two other Trafficmaster vinyl tiles in our house, and they've both held up really well. We tried Trafficmaster Deluxe Red Wood Vinyl Tile in our laundry room. It goes for $.92 per square foot. We also tried Trafficmaster Ceramica Shasta Vinyl Tiles ($1.29 per sq. ft.) in our mudroom, which I was really excited about, because you can use grout with them. Then, my husband installed it while I was out - and forgot that there was grout. So, we have really cute beveled tiles installed diagonally without grout. It still cracks me up sometimes.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:02 PM

Glad to know that vinyl tiles are again available. Kentile used to make these, and I always thought they were a good product, and would work for budget minded redos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating