Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:03 PM

49 posts, read 92,360 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in a bit of a conundrum. We are mid-20's and just bought our home in May. It's a 50 year old home and we have been working hard on bringing things up to date(refinished 1500 sq ft of hardwood, replaced deck with patio, painting, lots of landscaping, etc...). Now that it is almost winter and we are done outside til spring, we are started on the remaining rooms.

Our downstairs layout consists of a bathroom, laundry room, large kitchen with seating area and island, dining room, family room which is done and then...the living room. We need to do something with this space where we will actually use it. Currently we have 4 of these chairs from ikea to use for the room: TULLSTA Chair - Ransta dark gray - IKEA

Our family room has a fireplace, couch, loveseat and a 60 inch tv with surround sound and wire from there running out to our patio for a zone 2 for music.

We are completely lost with what to do with the other room to actually make us use it. We like to have guests over and drink, play poker and cards, etc...

Some ideas we have so far is a seating area with a table for card games. Then building a bar area at the other end with a kegerator and a wine fridge(already have this). But that still leaves one end of the room completely empty.

Any one have any other ideas as what we can do with this room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 08:26 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Either pictures or a floor plan would be very helpful to us.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 PM

No problem, here are a few pictures of the room. Kind-of a throw all room now, but you can see the chairs we have.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:00 PM

120 posts, read 309,753 times
Are you planning on building the bar near the window end? I think it can be fine to leave one end open (the room will seem less cluttered) and maybe put up some cool artwork.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:09 PM

We really weren't sure on placement of anything yet. Both ends of the rooms for a bar had their merits but it really depended on what else was going on with the room.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
That room looks like it was originally a dining room, maybe not. Where is the "family room" in relation to this room? If you want to use that as a "game room", put your poker table at one end and the seating at the other, maybe with a round coffee table in the middle of the chairs for more of a conversation area. I would really hesitate to build a bar in that room. Maybe get a portable something at Ikea or where ever. I realize it is your house but building a bar in that room would kill your resale.

I personally like to have a quiet area away from the TV to read so that would work well in that room with those chairs set up like I suggested above.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:10 AM

22,593 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That room looks like it was originally a dining room, maybe not.
I thought the same thing... the room screams dining room to me!

Old 11-09-2013, 10:17 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
That room looks so confining. I would open up the space by knocking out the wall (if possible). And don't build a bar area; they are usually tacky and are not great for resells.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Does the family room work well for entertaining? If the living room is better for entertaining, especially if it is close to the dining area, perhaps it is better used that way.

Will you put your media center in the family room? If that is the case, then I'd entertain there.

Can you use the living room as a combination office/library? You could each have a desk, if you desire. you could also have comfy seating around a bookcase. A nice sound system would also be a plus.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:47 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,862,528 times
I like the crown molding and chair rail. Floors look great, congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating