Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:14 AM

133 posts, read 587,159 times

Advertisements

Whats your personal experience with this brand of furniture? Does it become damaged or scratched quickly? I'm in NC and hear that high point is the place to go but I'm worried its not the type of furniture that I like. "The pottery barn look" for lack of a better word is what I'm looking for. But is the price tag worth it? Heck, I'd even consider getting a part time job there just for the discount
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 07:44 AM

781 posts, read 3,816,045 times
We bought a few tables, coffee and side, and we have been pleased with them. They are used in our kids game room and, as teenagers, they are not easy on furniture. The kids have had many friends over and after a good cleaning the tables have upheld great!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,936 times
I've bought a plasma tv stand and we are happy, the first one came scratched and they were very accomodating (let me keep until replaced) and I got the trestle dining table off ebay for 1/2 the price. Pottery Barns delivery charges for furniture can be quite high.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:10 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,055 times
Go to your local library and look for back issues of Smart Money magazine. They did an article in the past year where they deconstructed furniture from Potter Barn, Restoration Hardware, etc. I can't find it online, but in short, the furniture was not well build. 4 times as expensive as Ikea, and no better quality. :\

Last edited by rubytue; 11-14-2007 at 08:27 PM..

Old 11-14-2007, 08:22 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Rubytue is right - I read that article she is referring to - when Ikea, Restoration Hardware and other high end chain furniture stores had their furniture taken apart by the Smart Money Magazine folks, instead of hardwood, there was often particle board, even though the description said hardwood.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:35 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,678,337 times
The furniture is not what I would call "high quality" but it's not bad. I do find the prices are pretty high for what you get, but then again, Ethan Allen's quite a bit more.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
The furniture is not what I would call "high quality" but it's not bad. I do find the prices are pretty high for what you get, but then again, Ethan Allen's quite a bit more.
Yes.
We had friends who bought from EA who had to take it back. Ditto Ikea.

Pottery Barn is owned by Williams Sonoma and we get bombarded with both glossy catalogues, they are selling a certain look, sleek yet slightly traditional, and doing quite well with it. They also own West Elm, aimed at a younger demographic.

Restoration Hardware is much the same--but pricier.

A lot of people sneer at these "lifestyle retailers." I understand this, and it is important to support locals and/or artisans.
We do try to do that.
Or at the very least, hit a PB outlet.

Years ago we had a huge, sturdy oak table made by Colorado artisans, we were very happy with it and had many a good time at that table.
In late May, we moved here; that table and other pieces just did not work with this coastal house.
We did look around for a couple months, but could not wait the years and years of methodical research to decorate this place with handhewn heirloom type furniture.
We have family arriving next week.
I furnished my little office with some second-hand furniture, some of it very nice, some of it on the funky side--but no way would my husband go that route for the entire house.
We ended up with a Pottery Barn dining table, rug and console (the console was on sale, as was the rug, which helped). They have been absolutely fine--so far.
(Maybe the Smart Money article (it was in '06) shook things up a bit. )

Old 11-15-2007, 06:11 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
I've looked at Pottery Barn and left thinking it was pretty poor quality. If I pay those prices, I want good furniture.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I've looked at Pottery Barn and left thinking it was pretty poor quality. If I pay those prices, I want good furniture.
What was poor about it?
Do you have any recommendations for good furniture?
We were very pleased with our purchase from Quatrine.
ETA:
Quatrine's website

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 11-15-2007 at 07:28 AM..

Old 11-17-2007, 05:46 AM

36 posts, read 380,535 times
You can find Pottery Barn type furniture in High Point. Furnitureland South is huge, with every style you can imagine. I prefer a similar style and we ended up going with Kincaid furniture- quality has been great and we saved a bundle. If you are in NC, it is definitely worth exploring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating