Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 07:12 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,807,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by islander03 View Post
We have a guest room that doubles as the hubby's office. We'd like to add a queen sized bed for when we have extended family visiting for a few weeks.

But since it's also used as an office, we want a bed that can be put away when it's not in used, which would be most of the year. We're thinking of sofa bed or murphy bed options.
If your family guests will be staying for a few weeks, I would suggest a murphy bed with a Eurotop mattress. The Original Mattress Factory makes a terrific one.

A daybed/trundle bed with Eurotop twins would be a great choice as well.

Sofabeds just are not comfortable over the long haul. Sometimes not comfy over the short haul.

Air beds, even the Intex ones with the foam tops, are for kids and camping. Beats sleeping on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I vote for one of the cool daybeds, IF you can't put the desk and office stuff in the closet, which would be my top choice.

Just a note - if you're using the office space for a tax write off, you can't have a bed or any other personal items in there.

If you use the space often for guests, and basically just use the office desk, I'd do my best to put the desk in the closet and just fit the room out with a queen size bed and make your guests comfortable.

We have an office and really, the desk is the only area we ever use!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 PM

257 posts, read 491,460 times
Thank you all for your creative ideas. The space is not an issue as it's about 20 x 15. Hubby is willing to put away his fold up desk and work elsewhere. I just don't want to clutter the room with a bed that's not frequently used. Expected guests are my parents and in-laws and so airbeds aren't going to cut it.

We may do the mattress, box spring, frame set up and tear down approach or Murphy bed.

Any vendor recommendations for Murphy beds online or Raleigh NC area?

Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Pull-out sofa-
A bed when you need it, a living area when you don't.

And the mattresses aren't the greatest which means in-laws and out-laws won't stay too long!

Old 08-27-2013, 12:52 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,293 times
I've slept on air beds. They're REALLY comfortable and disappear when nobody is visiting. I'd advise that route.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
I've slept on air beds. They're REALLY comfortable and disappear when nobody is visiting. I'd advise that route.
I agree--the nicer ones are pretty comfortable..just not that much fun if there are 2 people sleeping on one so I suggest getting twin sized ones.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:25 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
I vote for the daybed with a pull out separate trundle that can be moved thus making two single beds. We had that arrangement in a spare bedroom that also was an office. It worked out very well. Even in a standalone guest room, I prefer two single beds. Easier sleeping arrangement especially for those that would/do not sleep together.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:56 PM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
We have a daybed with two twin mattresses. One mattress is on the top portion, the other pulls out from underneath (pop up trundle) is on a bed frame which pops up and makes a a king size bed.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:54 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
For aging parents, the pull out trundle bed would be a bit awkward. The murphy bed that lifts up would be nice. They can be done in any style to match your preference. The one with hydraulic pistons are really easy to use. I had one like this in my timeshare in Hawaii.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:24 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,293 times
WIth that much space, a murphy bed is a good option too. That said, having a nice dedicated office is good for productivity and if your in laws aren't there much, an inflatable temporary solution might be your best bet. Why inconvenience someone who lives there full time for the sake of slightly better accommodations for people who visit infrequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating