Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,132,598 times

Advertisements

I think I'm going to vote for darker cabinets. Then a stainless finish on appliances would lighten it up. Also consider a backsplash and under cabinet lighting, all things you can do yourself. You also have tons of room in the center, so I would add an island. Not black, maybe a wood stain with butcher block top.

I agree with one of the earlier posters in utilizing other sites. HOUZZ was invaluable to me in planning our kitchen renovation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 07:13 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,277,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I have no idea what you paid for this house or your longer term plan, nor have you mentioned anything about any kind of budget for other items. That said the picture does not seem to show an abundance of well thought-out cabinetry. This looks to be a fairly good sized kitchen that with a little planning might work with a modest sized island. I would not waste time / money painting cabinets that really are not going be any more functional if painted. Budget for replacement.
This^

Old 09-11-2013, 12:49 PM

18,364 posts, read 31,451,857 times
I think with your floors black cabinets would look nice, (also the gray that the others have stated as well).
You can paint the walls a softer color, the yellow is to bold for my taste. I know you stated you like it, so i guess thats all that matters, than gray cabinets would look better.

i think the painted white, doesn't look good, kinda like what they did in the 50's.

Am I noticing the wall to the left is white?, it didnt look yellow.

Since you already have a SS fridge the rest of the appliances have to match.

I can visualize black cabinets with a soft creamy yellow and SS appliances in this space. It actually is a good space.

Ok, im pro black, kill me.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:41 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,917,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Yes I'd go with dark grey also, with white walls. A nice quick fix till you want to totally remodel. This is your photo, it shows a good jumping off point. Whether you go with stainless is up to you, but I threw it in.
Wow, thanks that looks nice. I don't care for white walls either. What other color would work?

Old 09-11-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I might point out that the attractive actual kitchen renovation has a MUCH larger window over the sink, additional door with window on the far wall, light spilling onto floor in the foreground presumably from additional windows, brillant white marble countertops, extensive under-cabinet lighting, bright halogen lights in the hood over the cooking surface, high gloss white tile backsplashes and about $20k worth of high end fixtures, not to mention about twice the width and four times the cabinet area of the "photoshopped" OP's little set-up... I think they might be disappointed how much less good their home might look without the full impact of those upgrades.
That would be out of our budget but yes that would be very nice.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
I think I'm going to vote for darker cabinets. Then a stainless finish on appliances would lighten it up. Also consider a backsplash and under cabinet lighting, all things you can do yourself. You also have tons of room in the center, so I would add an island. Not black, maybe a wood stain with butcher block top.

I agree with one of the earlier posters in utilizing other sites. HOUZZ was invaluable to me in planning our kitchen renovation!
Yes we are definitely considering an island.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:48 PM

22,275 posts, read 47,206,238 times
Get what appliances you like, then paint the cabinets some fun color!
Seriously, they look like they should be replaced, so in the meantime have some fun with them.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:16 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,956,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Get what appliances you like, then paint the cabinets some fun color!
Seriously, they look like they should be replaced, so in the meantime have some fun with them.
I've been biting my tongue because I really wanted to say exactly this! You know me, I wanted to recommend painting them turquoise.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:05 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,177,765 times
It's hard to pick colors for others. I know you like yellow and I have seen it combined with grey, I will try to find some samples of it. But here is a site that will let you pick wall colors on a photo:

Color Visualizer - Sherwin-Williams

Upload this photo after you save it to your desktop, it has the walls blanked out for easy coloring. It is also a jpg per their requirements. Have fun picking any colors you like.

Here is what the site looks like when you play with the colors. The shadows are gone in the walls but at least you can get an idea of colors.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:09 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,177,765 times
Try this google search for Grey and Yellow Kitchen Interiors. There are some nice samples. They do seem to depend a lot on using white and black as well for some punch.

https://www.google.com/search?q=grey...ideas&tbm=isch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating