Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 06:32 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

We are purchasing a home where the previous owners stained the fence and deck red. The house is beige and the shutters are black. It doesn't go with the color of the house. What options do we have? What colors? Maybe a darker brown? I would've like to stain it a lighter color close to the color of the wood but I guess that's out of the question because we'd have to remove the red color.

Here's the house:

Here's the deck/fence:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 06:53 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
It's a cute house! The deck is nice, but I can understand why you aren't excited about the color.

I think it would look nice with a light color stain, but doubt that's possible. However, a nice brown would probably look good, since the house is beige. I've never stained over a dark color, so I can't comment on the end result.

My only other solution would be to finish with the red stain on the rail that is unfinished and change the color of the shutters to match the stain of the deck.

There are no shutters on the back of the house and from the view of the front of the house, one can't see that the deck and fence don't match the shutters. At any rate, if I were to change the color of the shutters, I'd put some on the back windows as well.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:47 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
So often people feel compelled to use a "Redwood" looking color even when it is not used anywhere else on the home. Once you decide on the colors of your home, it should be repeated on the deck. Even if it is redwood one doesn't have to use the red color, I have done a nice dark brown on an all redwood house that looked great.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 PM

I'm thinking we're going to go with a darker brown like this color: What do you think??
Attached Thumbnails
Deck/Fence color ideas?-brown-porch.jpg  

Old 09-23-2013, 08:26 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Yes that's a nice color --if you use it elsewhere on the house as well.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:09 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
Yeah, the dark brown is nice. As Kayekaye said, use the color elsewhere. And I said, match the color of the shutters to the deck and add shutters to the back of the house. Any kind of matching trim would tie it all together.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:16 PM

I'm not sure about brown shutters tho. I was hoping to keep the shutters black. I think putting shutters on the back of the house would look good.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:45 AM

334 posts, read 716,179 times
The stain appears to be a semi-transparent. If so, you should be able to remove most of the color using a deck finish remover. Both Cabot and Behr make a good product for this. Follow this with a good power washing of the whole area to be stained/restained. Follow that with an application of deck brightener, again Behr or Cabot. Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry. As usual, follow package directions scrupulously. At this point you should be able to use a brownish stain of your choice, possibly a bit darker than you might prefer, but as long as it is complimentary to the overall color scheme it will be fine. Another possibility is using a solid deck stain. I finally did that on my own deck with Benjamin Moore Arborcoat. This was the third season and it still looks pretty good. Next year I'll likely redo just the deck surface and the tops of the rails. The rest is still pristine.
FWIW
YMMV

Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
The stain appears to be a semi-transparent. If so, you should be able to remove most of the color using a deck finish remover. Both Cabot and Behr make a good product for this. Follow this with a good power washing of the whole area to be stained/restained. Follow that with an application of deck brightener, again Behr or Cabot. Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry. As usual, follow package directions scrupulously. At this point you should be able to use a brownish stain of your choice, possibly a bit darker than you might prefer, but as long as it is complimentary to the overall color scheme it will be fine. Another possibility is using a solid deck stain. I finally did that on my own deck with Benjamin Moore Arborcoat. This was the third season and it still looks pretty good. Next year I'll likely redo just the deck surface and the tops of the rails. The rest is still pristine.
FWIW
YMMV
I think we are going to end up using the solid deck stain. Thanks for the tips.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:13 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We are purchasing a home where the previous owners stained the fence and deck red. The house is beige and the shutters are black. It doesn't go with the color of the house. What options do we have? What colors? Maybe a darker brown? I would've like to stain it a lighter color close to the color of the wood but I guess that's out of the question because we'd have to remove the red color.

Here's the house:

Here's the deck/fence:
I like the red stain...it just looks odd with so much unfinished wood. Looks like patch jobs. Paint and/or stain as much of the wood as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating