Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,265 times

Advertisements

My wife and I building a home, and have the architecture plans (which I have recreated via floorplanner). I am having trouble finalizing the plans because one of the bedrooms is limited in furniture placement and I would like to have the game/media room a little better integrated

I have attached two pictures, one of the original/current plans, and one of an updated one that I put together.

From the original plan, the bedroom on the far left in the center of the house is my concern. The way it currently is, we have the entry door, door to closet, and door to bedroom. The door to bedroom is not required, but this is the guest bedroom and thought it would be nice for them to not have to enter the hallway for the restroom. With the three doors on three walls, the way we can set up the room is limited with double bed. Also in this plan, the entry into the hallway is on the left side of the fireplace, which is fine, but would like an entry on the other side as well, better integrate the game/media room, but this would not be possible unless we did the following: offcenter the fireplace with built-in beside it and do opening on both sides.

In the updated plan, I have moved the left bedroom where it is on the other side of the fireplace. There is a hallway from the foyer leading to all three bedrooms, and there is a small hallway on the right side of the fireplace leading to the game/media room and bath. This helps integrate the play/media room with still having easy/quick access to all bedrooms. This also gave us a guest room with doors on two walls vs the 3, giving a little more option to how it is set up. The only thing in this plan is the entry from that bed into the bath if we want the door on the the far right of the room and would the long 4' wide hallway be too narrow.

My question is which of the following do you think would work best:

1) Original Plan:
Option 1) As is.
Option 2) Create an opening on both ends of the wall with the fireplace. Offset the fireplace and built-in.

2) Updated Plan: As Shown.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Need Design Help with Floorplans-originalfloorplan.png   Need Design Help with Floorplans-houseoption2.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 03:49 PM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
I get paid for this. But, I will share this-

I hate halls- the wall(s) in the Greatroom aren't necessary (especially with the less formal game/media room).
And opening the Fireplace to the kitchen in it's present location will serve absolutely no purpose. Now, if that area where the island is was the dining area...

Old 10-22-2013, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 4,265 times
So you are saying that the wall seperating the great room from the long hallway leading to the bedrooms can be removed.

Also, not sure what you meant by the fireplace, I have attached a picture showing where the fireplace is currently located.

Thanks again - Will
Attached Thumbnails
Need Design Help with Floorplans-houseoption2.png  

Old 10-22-2013, 10:32 PM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
Re-read your OP- miss understood about fireplace. When nothing is identified or drawn using correct icons its hard to assimilate.

Thought you were referring to a thru-fireplace when you said "two openings".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating