Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times

Advertisements

Home Goods is the best place to get a rug!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 998 times
I would shop online for your rug. Because you're looking for very specific sizes, you should consider looking at a "create your own rug" type of store.

I used this site a while back:

Custom Rugs: Design Area Rugs by The Perfect Rug | Your Custom Rug Store

They offer tons of different materials (wool, grasses, synthetics, etc...) so you have a ton of control over the price relative to the size of the rug. If you're unsure of about the materials, they'll even send you 3 free samples and measuring kit.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-09-2015, 02:06 PM

914 posts, read 1,137,910 times
I've had lots of luck with IKEA rugs. Some are wool and I've had them for years. You can often find reduce priced floor samples in their "seconds" section. They held up nicely, even the super cheap one I put by the front door.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:57 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
This is an old thread. Just want to say, I have tons of recent experience. Surprised to report that Home Depot is the best in selection, price, and ease of return/exchange.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:47 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Go to a carpet store. They will have pre-made rugs; remnants that can be bound to make an area rug for very low cost; and a huge selection of carpets from which an area rug can be cut and bound.

Chain big box stores and the internet are the last places I would look.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:36 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
In case anyone is still shopping for rugs, it depends upon your price range. Home Depot and Costco have decent looking cheap area rugs. They offer some pretty, colorful, modern designs.

I like Persian rugs and I bought a 100% wool, good quality machine made Persian from one of the depart stores that have a furnishing section. It was under $1,000. I don't remember which store, (Macy's?) because I bought that rug about 25 years ago and it still looks great. I suspect it would cost more to buy the same rug today.

If you want a really good rug, go to a specialty store. I have genuine hand knotted Persians that are over 100 years old and look fabulous. They keep going up on value and they look right in place on a nice solid hardwood floor.

If you want to spend the money, you can get a hand knotted silk rug from China to show off your wealth.

Also, if you want to take out a second mortgage, you can buy a large hand woven Navajo rug in earth colors that will last nearly forever. You'd have to go to one of the trading posts in Navajo/ Pueblo territory to get a guaranteed genuine one. There are a lot of fakes because the rugs are so valuable and in high demand. Or, if you know it is a fake, you can get almost teh same look for a lot less money. People with knowledge will know your rug is a fake but a member of the general public won't notice it isn't authentic.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:01 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I am scared of buying something, that would be expensive to ship back, online. I have done this several times though, and it worked out fine. I bought a huge oriental rug on eBay once, and I bought my dining room and living room rugs online too.
If you stick to wool, and look at the photos carefully, I think it's fine. I don't get how so many people buy rugs at home improvement stores. I might buy an outdoor one there, but not an inside one.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:59 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In case anyone is still shopping for rugs, it depends upon your price range. Home Depot and Costco have decent looking cheap area rugs. They offer some pretty, colorful, modern designs.

I like Persian rugs and I bought a 100% wool, good quality machine made Persian from one of the depart stores that have a furnishing section. It was under $1,000. I don't remember which store, (Macy's?) because I bought that rug about 25 years ago and it still looks great. I suspect it would cost more to buy the same rug today.

If you want a really good rug, go to a specialty store. I have genuine hand knotted Persians that are over 100 years old and look fabulous. They keep going up on value and they look right in place on a nice solid hardwood floor.

If you want to spend the money, you can get a hand knotted silk rug from China to show off your wealth.

Also, if you want to take out a second mortgage, you can buy a large hand woven Navajo rug in earth colors that will last nearly forever. You'd have to go to one of the trading posts in Navajo/ Pueblo territory to get a guaranteed genuine one. There are a lot of fakes because the rugs are so valuable and in high demand. Or, if you know it is a fake, you can get almost teh same look for a lot less money. People with knowledge will know your rug is a fake but a member of the general public won't notice it isn't authentic.
Persian rugs aren't machine made or even hand tufted.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:04 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Home Goods! Home Goods! Home Goods! Have purchased lovely area rugs at this store in various locations and states over the past few years. There are obvious levels of quality and sizes and the prices are unbelievable for the value at each!

Also watch for Pottery Barn in store sales and clearances...some good bargains! I never would have believed this, if I hadn't stumbled upon this my very self, about 6 years ago.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:19 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Since the thread has been revived, I thought I'd mention that I get emails from Pier 1, and they are now offering Magnolia area rugs--you know, the brand launched by Chip and Jo Gaines from the Fixer Upper HGTV show? Some of those rugs look gorgeous online, but I haven't seen them in "real life" yet. We're thinking of getting one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating