Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 04:29 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,314,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I moved from 670 sq. ft. to 2300. It's funny how I had no problem living in the small space but I'm sure I'd feel claustrophobic there now.
This is my situation as well. I was in a 750 square foot condo for seven years. It was too small for me. I would feel comfortable with a minimum of 900-1000 square feet of living space plus a garage and an unfinished basement for tools and exercise equipment. I love my current house but it is way too big for just one person although I would rather have too much space than not enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 06:22 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We have found, after downsizing, that it is not so much the size of the space, but little things like the width of doorways and hallways, ceiling height, and lack of enough storage space that make us feel cramped. We still have rooms we hardly ever set foot in, but yet we still feel cramped because of the above factors.
Yup. That's what I keep in mind, sketching my house plans. 36 inch doors; preferably the pocket style. Instead of blank walls that merely define boundaries of a room, stacks of book cases and cubbies for storage. Even furniture. We plan to replace, or have built, a captains bed; get rid of the highly ornamental Victorian bed that does nothing but create a narrow space underneath for dust bunnies.

The small house movement has a number of sites; plenty of books; that give one ideas for making the best use of small space. I have about a zillion bookmarks and files saved. This will be our last house (hopefully). We are designing it in mind of our elder years and to be economical. I know it's just the mindset of a different life stage, but I look back at my youth and think "gawwwwd, why did we waste all that $$ on a big ass house with so much useless furniture. We never really needed it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating