Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 02:25 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Now the research has come up to the overhead kitchen pot rack.

The house plans call for one to be over the island but I have tell my builder what kind.

This was the first one that came up in my looking and I'm practically stunned. I was picturing something like a square piece of iron but this seems ideal, especially with the ladles and big spoons hanging from it.

https://www.atgstores.com/pot-racks/...160705071436:s

My stove top cooking right now consists of a big wok pan, two small woks, a circular frying pan that mostly serves as a top to to the big wok, a big pot for boiling water, a griddle currently used for pan cakes, a stop top percolator, a whistling tea pot, (these are in the most active use), then a fish poacher, then an assortment of pots and pans from two different sets probably numbering around 8. The wire rack inside the circular rack is a nice addition since my big water boiling pot doesn't have anything to hang by. If it went up on the rack, it would have to sit there.

I suppose one of the questions of the clueless naive is how much does one pot cook in order to determine how big the overhead rack should be. For me, that is 99.9% everyday.

But as I said, I'm the naive clueless.

What questions should I be asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 05:18 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Google image pot racks and find one you like.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Google image pot racks and find one you like.
That is where I started, as noted above.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:33 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The wire rack inside the circular rack is a nice addition since my big water boiling pot doesn't have anything to hang by. If it went up on the rack, it would have to sit there.
The middle rack is generally not used to hold items in the way you are describing, it's too high to easily access as the height is intended to make sure things hanging down from the rack aren't low enough to hit you in the head or block your access to the cooktop or countertop the pot rack hangs over.

The other issue is whether you will have a cook top in the island? If you do, the items hanging over it often get dirty and greasy from the cooking and anything not used regularly gets dusty.

Personally, if I were building from scratch and had the room, I'd put in deep drawers in the island for pot storage and use a wall hung rack rather than a ceiling rack.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
.......The other issue is whether you will have a cook top in the island? If you do, the items hanging over it often get dirty and greasy from the cooking and anything not used regularly gets dusty.......
No, the island is a breakfast table.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:36 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Really I forgo the rack myself, instead insult a sweet lighting feature that makes a statement and adds value and extra lighting overhead. Because pots and pans hanging in the air trend to cheapening, and when you walk into the room it's like an elephant, all eye go to it! Just my two cents...

Old 07-05-2016, 08:52 PM

Well, it's a bit late in the course to change the plans.

So, please, no more "I wouldn't do that if I were you,". Let's keep this to how to do an overhead pot rack, okay?

Old 07-06-2016, 09:34 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Now the research has come up to the overhead kitchen pot rack.

The house plans call for one to be over the island but I have tell my builder what kind.

This was the first one that came up in my looking and I'm practically stunned. I was picturing something like a square piece of iron but this seems ideal, especially with the ladles and big spoons hanging from it.

https://www.atgstores.com/pot-racks/...160705071436:s

My stove top cooking right now consists of a big wok pan, two small woks, a circular frying pan that mostly serves as a top to to the big wok, a big pot for boiling water, a griddle currently used for pan cakes, a stop top percolator, a whistling tea pot, (these are in the most active use), then a fish poacher, then an assortment of pots and pans from two different sets probably numbering around 8. The wire rack inside the circular rack is a nice addition since my big water boiling pot doesn't have anything to hang by. If it went up on the rack, it would have to sit there.

I suppose one of the questions of the clueless naive is how much does one pot cook in order to determine how big the overhead rack should be. For me, that is 99.9% everyday.

But as I said, I'm the naive clueless.

What questions should I be asking?
What are you trying to say?

Old 07-06-2016, 11:47 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
if you have an overhead pot rack make sure your pot are pretty! I would set the pots down in two rows, mesure the area they take up and buy one you like that hold that dimension.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:18 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,288 times
Here's one with a place on top to sit large pots, and it has an integrated light. I like the look of it better than the one linked to in the first post, but that's just my taste.

Hi-Lite Leaf Collection 65" Lighted Hanging Pot Rack

You need to measure your island first so that you can find the right size. You don't want one that's overwhelming or one that looks too dinky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating