Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:37 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,967 times

Advertisements

Looking to "freshen" up the outside of my home. Looking for new outside lights at the front door, garage, back door and door out to the deck. I need 8 fixtures and want the kids to get something for Christmas so I am looking for a site that might have them at a reasonable cost. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
There are just tons of choices. First of all, we need to narrow it down. Are you looking for post, wall, or ceiling mounted lights? What kind of finish are you looking for? Do the new lights need to match anything else like a mailbox, address plaque, entry door hardware?

Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Looking to "freshen" up the outside of my home. Looking for new outside lights at the front door, garage, back door and door out to the deck. I need 8 fixtures and want the kids to get something for Christmas so I am looking for a site that might have them at a reasonable cost. Thanks
There are sites galore.
To narrow them down, google the exact thing you would like. Then see who might be the best to deal with. The lowest prices sometimes isn't!

Old 12-04-2013, 12:07 PM

These lights would be on the exterior wall at either side of the entrance. Looking for a black finish. Nothing too large.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:48 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Am not sure of your budget but 8 lights can be very cheap or very expensive. What are you looking for or better what are you looking to spend?

Old 12-05-2013, 01:49 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
These lights would be on the exterior wall at either side of the entrance. Looking for a black finish. Nothing too large.
I'd suggest going to a local lighting store and seeing what you like (then having the local shop price match internet prices). For whatever reason, I feel like they have nicer stuff than the big box stores.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:49 PM

Big box stores are about $50 a light and the "specialty" lighting stores $100. Better lights but I wanted to keep the 8 light buy below $500 for a higher quality light than Home Depot or Lowes has. By the way they never seem to be on sale.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:07 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Well, you can't have your cake and eat too!

Either way, budget accordingly. If 500 is the limit- that's the limit. But put your best foot forward- spend half of it for the front entry- nobody really pays attention to the other fixtures.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:56 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
I can respect having to stick to a budget and wanting to find the best you can within the confines of that budget. I am in a similar position.

My yard is fenced. There are 20 brick piers (columns) around the perimeter of the property with sections of fence in between, and each pier has a light fixture on top. They are these completely ridiculous looking globes, about 16 inches in diameter.

I want to replace them with some kind of fixture that is more "normal" looking. There are two more piers out front with the globes on top, one on each side of my driveway. And, there are two more of the globe fixtures on the low wall that is at the front of my house near the entry door. So, I have 24 of these awful things that need to be replaced.

I feel your pain as I am trying to find something nice, but as inexpensive as possible since I have to buy so darn many of them.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:05 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I can respect having to stick to a budget and wanting to find the best you can within the confines of that budget. I am in a similar position.

My yard is fenced. There are 20 brick piers (columns) around the perimeter of the property with sections of fence in between, and each pier has a light fixture on top. They are these completely ridiculous looking globes, about 16 inches in diameter.

I want to replace them with some kind of fixture that is more "normal" looking. There are two more piers out front with the globes on top, one on each side of my driveway. And, there are two more of the globe fixtures on the low wall that is at the front of my house near the entry door. So, I have 24 of these awful things that need to be replaced.

I feel your pain as I am trying to find something nice, but as inexpensive as possible since I have to buy so darn many of them.
Can you keep the fixtures and change just the globe?

LED and HID Luminaires, Replacement Globes, Pendants, Lamp Posts, Bollards, Arms & Brackets - Decra-Lite Inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating