Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 11:18 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post

Those clear lines and minimalist features were seen in Scandinavian interior designs. The link and picture
is from 1930.

N1_02146 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I really like the picture, thanks for sharing I'm really only familiar with 70s style Scandinavian design as it was the first bits of modular furniture I came across long before an Ikea came to town. I've always referred to the style as Scandanavian, or modular...is it known by a specific name? I bet you are going to say Modern

I've always thought of open concept and open plan as two separate things. Open concept being essentially one large room allowing the user to place walls where wanted or as necessary, and, with an open plan the openness is the design and supposed to remain open with each room being marked by some sort of "natural" or optical divider. In a 50s style home, for example, the living room may be sunk, lower, than the kitchen, dining room, and so on. That is, you know you are in the living room when you step down into it.

Also, thank you for the link providing info on Contemporary design. It seems that what I thought of as Contemporary was wrong, but, the link did confirm my reasons for not liking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 11:53 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I really like the picture, thanks for sharing I'm really only familiar with 70s style Scandinavian design as it was the first bits of modular furniture I came across long before an Ikea came to town. I've always referred to the style as Scandanavian, or modular...is it known by a specific name? I bet you are going to say Modern

I've always thought of open concept and open plan as two separate things. Open concept being essentially one large room allowing the user to place walls where wanted or as necessary, and, with an open plan the openness is the design and supposed to remain open with each room being marked by some sort of "natural" or optical divider. In a 50s style home, for example, the living room may be sunk, lower, than the kitchen, dining room, and so on. That is, you know you are in the living room when you step down into it.

Also, thank you for the link providing info on Contemporary design. It seems that what I thought of as Contemporary was wrong, but, the link did confirm my reasons for not liking it.
I have always loved Scandinavian design. When we were younger & browsing for furniture the first stop
was Scand. furniture stores. Unfortunately as a young couple it was very expensive. I would say it is
called Modern just as if I would say that certain artists i.e., Picasso, Brancusi, Klee, O'Keefe, Calder, etc...are
Modern verses Chuck Close, Chihuly, Barbara Kruger, Sandy Skoglund who are contemporary.
I also agree with you about modern interiors such as in the 50's. I understand that many people love the open concept
but my preference would be more of what you describe in a nice flow between the living room to a dining room with closed
off bedroom space.
Even if it a bit off topic just check out early Scandinavian design as well as modern/contemporary European interior design.

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 12-24-2013 at 12:02 PM..

Old 12-24-2013, 01:38 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,240 times
I grew up in a very unusual open concept home--it was about 30 feet front to back and nearly 100 feet end to end, largely to take advantage of beautiful views out the front of the house and also due to being expanded substantially over the years. The entire length of the main floor was technically one giant room comprising kitchen, living, dining, and office, but the spaces were each defined in their own way. The office could be closed off with a folding glass door and the dining area was bumped out toward the street to create sort of an L with the kitchen. It had some great perks--all four family members could each be in their own space but still be able to see and talk to each other. And when my mom would entertain she could be at work in the kitchen without being sequestered away in a different room from the guests.

For my own house, I chose a 1920s bungalow with distinct rooms. I enjoy having a separate living room, dining room, and kitchen. I like being able to sit with guests in the living room and not see into the kitchen, where things can be messier or simply less visually appealing. I like being able to decorate each room as its own distinct unit. For example, the very limited wall space in my kitchen is painted SW "peppery" and the living room is "plum brown." Not something I would be able to do in an open floor plan! I also like having a room dedicated to eating. Sitting down to enjoy a meal together with my significant other is important to me, and I personally feel like the table areas of open concept spaces have a tendency to look like an afterthought. I like having an entryway where coats, snowy boots, briefcases, etc. can be placed out of view of the rest of the house.

With that said, I do enjoy that things are a bit more open in my bungalow than, say, your average Victorian. The "doorway" between the living room and the dining room is an 8-foot-wide open space. The dining room connects to the kitchen with a doorway that does not have a door. And the front door is in its own separate space but also open to the living room. (Not sure how to properly explain that one without getting into far too much detail.)

Anyhow: I don't care too much for the "great room" style of open floor plan. But I can understand not wanting a rabbit warren of rooms, either.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:42 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
I like seperation and not barrack style living. I actually put walls and doors back in my house. I have nothing against open plan homes but I think its run its course. I'm seeing a trend back towards seperation and using french doors on common areas.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:23 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Love it

Old 12-24-2013, 03:56 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,540 times
I'm just glad we don't all want the same thing/type of home. We'd all be fighting over them, and the rest would be abandoned. Mine is kind of in between. I can see in my kitchen from the family room, but they aren't connected in any way. I have a room (library) that has the French doors and is enclosed, and I never go in there. House is over 100 years old, but someone kept adding, and adding, and adding. I'd love to know the original sqft. bet it was beyond tiny. Two front door style if there is such a thing.

I like that mine can be entered from the front, and if you stay in the living room you cant see the kitchen. But we all use the side door that goes right in it. I guess I prefer a little of both, open but I want some rooms private.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I like that. I like modern open floor plans. I hate like traditional design incorporated into an open floor plan. I've never minded the dining room being near the kitchen. What I don't like is living room and sofa being right near the kitchen breakfast bar. In this picture, the living room is off to the side and has has 3 walls. I like the entire area modern and uncluttered. It's much more desirable than the open floor plans I hate that have everything jammed and cluttered into a small area.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:44 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I... you might want to shield your guests from the kitchen, and also have it be your sanctuary. Ever hear of a woman cave?
Oh, I do love that!

I despise open floor plans so much I have gone looking for more threads to post on.

It's fine for those who like them, but those of us who don't like them are invisible. Just once I'd like to see an HGTV type show put a wall up instead of rip in out!

Old 02-23-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I like that. I like modern open floor plans. I hate like traditional design incorporated into an open floor plan. I've never minded the dining room being near the kitchen. What I don't like is living room and sofa being right near the kitchen breakfast bar. In this picture, the living room is off to the side and has has 3 walls. I like the entire area modern and uncluttered. It's much more desirable than the open floor plans I hate that have everything jammed and cluttered into a small area.

It looks like a picture from a magazine - very pretty, though not my taste. To actually live in, it needs a wall all the way across the back of those stairs in front of the kitchen with maybe some fogged glass panel double doors or even pocket doors for access to the kitchen/dining. You could open them when you want and close them when you want and still have natural light. I assume there are also windows behind the photographer, so no need to feel like you've been shut off from light when you are in the living room.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
For my own house, I chose a 1920s bungalow with distinct rooms. I enjoy having a separate living room, dining room, and kitchen. I like being able to sit with guests in the living room and not see into the kitchen, where things can be messier or simply less visually appealing. I like being able to decorate each room as its own distinct unit. For example, the very limited wall space in my kitchen is painted SW "peppery" and the living room is "plum brown." Not something I would be able to do in an open floor plan! I also like having a room dedicated to eating. Sitting down to enjoy a meal together with my significant other is important to me, and I personally feel like the table areas of open concept spaces have a tendency to look like an afterthought. I like having an entryway where coats, snowy boots, briefcases, etc. can be placed out of view of the rest of the house.

With that said, I do enjoy that things are a bit more open in my bungalow than, say, your average Victorian. The "doorway" between the living room and the dining room is an 8-foot-wide open space. The dining room connects to the kitchen with a doorway that does not have a door. And the front door is in its own separate space but also open to the living room. (Not sure how to properly explain that one without getting into far too much detail.)

Anyhow: I don't care too much for the "great room" style of open floor plan. But I can understand not wanting a rabbit warren of rooms, either.
I love what you describe!

Also, good point on the entryway (or mudroom) for coats, etc. I don't have that, so all that stuff just winds up scattered around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating