Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:45 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times

Advertisements

I am not a fan of open concept floor plans. I like a bit open, not boxy, but totally open, I don't care for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:23 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't have a "theme" in decorating (perish the thought!) and my antiques, mid-century modern and modern pieces all live very harmoniously together. And I would not want to use multiple paint colors, I love the harmony and spacious feeling I get from having all the walls on my living area the same color. Of course, as has been pointed out, there isn't a huge amount of wall space in the first place, and a single color keeps it from looking choppy.

S there is nothing to admit, other than the fact that you have different design and architecture preferences. Doesn't mean that either of us is right or wrong, just different.
Well, IF you were trying to decorate like this having separate spaces would help. See examples below:

Ugly House Photos » Hall of Shame - Tacky Décor

Old 02-26-2015, 12:56 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
the color is called "wood" and it's rich and warm feeling.

Sometimes I think you complain just to hear yourself complain.
Whatever. I didn't say I didn't like it; I'd just like to see a little something other than acres of beige ... erm ... "wood".

Old 02-26-2015, 01:47 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
I truely miss it.
We live in an older "Georgian southern" home and I feel so boxed in.
We lived in a modern open home back in Texas.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:27 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,379 times
Quote:
I disagree, especially when it's an open oplan like this one:

I don't find that boring at all.
One nice thing about this is that the kitchen is not a giant sore thumb in the middle of it. Of course that may have more to do with camera angle.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Well, IF you were trying to decorate like this having separate spaces would help. See examples below:

Ugly House Photos » Hall of Shame - Tacky Décor

I love that website!

Old 02-26-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That room desperately needs some color.
It makes for a pretty picture, but yeah, I'd have to liven it up some if I actually lived in it. And that much wood kind of limits your color palette.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:18 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
One nice thing about this is that the kitchen is not a giant sore thumb in the middle of it. Of course that may have more to do with camera angle.
Interstingly enough, after living in a bunch of different houses and apartments, the one I'm designing for myself has the kitchen right in the center, right at the entry, with the dining room and living room as wings off it (and open to it with barstools at raised bar areas on either side of the kitchen. In every house I've been in, when entertaining (which I do fairly often) everyone tends to congregate in the kitchen area anyhow, so why not make that the focal point with living space on either side?
Attached Thumbnails
How do you feel about "open concept" floorplans?-uhouse05.jpg   How do you feel about "open concept" floorplans?-uhouse07.jpg   How do you feel about "open concept" floorplans?-uhouse08.jpg   How do you feel about "open concept" floorplans?-uhouse09.jpg   How do you feel about "open concept" floorplans?-uhouse11.jpg  

Last edited by Merc63; 02-27-2015 at 10:32 AM..

Old 02-27-2015, 10:45 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Interstingly enough, after living in a bunch of different houses and apartments, the one I'm designing for myself has the kitchen right in the center, right at the entry, with the dining room and living room as wings off it (and open to it with barstools at raised bar areas on either side of the kitchen. In every house I've been in, when entertaining (which I do fairly often) everyone tends to congregate in the kitchen area anyhow, so why not make that the focal point with living space on either side?
I don't like people underfoot when I cook - sitting at an island or a bar IN the kitchen, sure, but I want my work "semi-triangle" kept clear. (I learned that lesson 2 houses ago.) In the peninsula in my last kitchen I put a prep sink and a prep space so that other people could help cook but not be in my way.

I am not sure I like the work layout in that kitchen with the fridge-stove-sink directly lined up like that. Need more prep space right around the stove instead of across from it. I get that you want the range hood on the wall, but I think maybe a corner sink might be better. You won't like having your prep space behind you as you cook - or at least I wouldn't.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:53 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I am not sure I like the work layout in that kitchen with the fridge-stove-sink directly lined up like that. Need more prep space right around the stove instead of across from it. I get that you want the range hood on the wall, but I think maybe a corner sink might be better. You won't like having your prep space behind you as you cook - or at least I wouldn't.
Agreed, I don't think that looks like a great kitchen to cook in. I'd move the range to the island and leave the counterspace between the fridge and sink for prep.

You can get lovely island canopy hoods. ZV925SLSS - GE Monogram® 36" Glass Canopy Hood - The Monogram Collection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating