Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:24 PM

189 posts, read 584,655 times

Advertisements

Just wondering why is it that in most new homes that I see, the island counter tops are situated so close together where there are much room to move it out 1~2feet to allow more room to maneuver. Is that a trend or the thing to have with newer homes.

How much space in between for your island/countertop would you like to have in your kitchen.

Attached is an example of what my brother's new home will be like. I told him it to have builder to move it out but he said they told him there is a reason why they plan to do it that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Another kitchen question-fote3d8.jpg   Another kitchen question-floorplan-original.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 08:33 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,396 times
I'd say the reason for the small distance between the 2 countertops in the photo you posted is to make it easier for the cook. In a kitchen like that, you can basically pivot between the stove and the sink while cooking. Makes it much easier to wash a few dishes by hand, do prep work like chopping/dicing while keeping a close eye on a risotto or something on the stove. Or pick up the pot of boiling pasta and pivot to drain it into a colander in the sink.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:49 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
From the floor plan that looks pretty standard- about 42".
And that's not "close". The idea behind the spacing is allowing a walk space when the D/W door is in the down position. It's not a lot, but it is manageable.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:42 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
It's more than enough room. I design kitchens and as others have said 42" is the standard desired spacing but you can by with a bit less depending on what is facing each other or the work zone.

And as Wry_Martini points out if you really do a lot of cooking you want an efficient space that doesn't take excessive steps to maneuver and get tasks accomplished. I've also cooked professionally in restaurants and you'll notice in almost all professional kitchens the spacing is quite snug for that very reason.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:52 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xecluded View Post
Just wondering why is it that in most new homes that I see, the island counter tops are situated so close together where there are much room to move it out 1~2feet to allow more room to maneuver. Is that a trend or the thing to have with newer homes.

How much space in between for your island/countertop would you like to have in your kitchen.

Attached is an example of what my brother's new home will be like. I told him it to have builder to move it out but he said they told him there is a reason why they plan to do it that way.

If your carrying food back and forth , or big pots of hot water... I have island you can get to people back to back no problem with crowding or bumping into each other..... Otherwise when I'm cooking I really don't want small children under foot, not when carry hot stuff...

Old 01-11-2014, 02:32 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
My kitchen is laid out sort of like the OP except i have a full "U" instead of an "L". On the long side I have 50" between the island and the cabinets on the wall, on the ends its 38.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:04 PM

Thank you all for the insight. They will have it about 50" in between. It seems lot more spacious with just a little 8" bump. thanks again

Last edited by xecluded; 01-11-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 03:23 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
When I remodeled the kitchen at my last house, I made the distance 42" and it worked fine.

OP, that's an odd floor plan, though. I've never seen a house with most of the bedrooms in front. Is the house going to be on a narrow lot with a view in the back? (Hence the main rooms and master bedroom in the back.) And they call it a 3-car garage but it's only 20' wide so I guess they mean 2 of the cars will have to park back-to-back. Again, I assume this was done to site the house on a (very) narrow lot. Just curious!

Old 01-11-2014, 06:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Kitchen Design Guidelines

This page contains lots of info about how much space to allow between various things in the kitchen. Its a BH&G page.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
When I remodeled the kitchen at my last house, I made the distance 42" and it worked fine.

OP, that's an odd floor plan, though. I've never seen a house with most of the bedrooms in front. Is the house going to be on a narrow lot with a view in the back? (Hence the main rooms and master bedroom in the back.) And they call it a 3-car garage but it's only 20' wide so I guess they mean 2 of the cars will have to park back-to-back. Again, I assume this was done to site the house on a (very) narrow lot. Just curious!
This is patio so the lot is narrow than a typical home. It has pretty nice back view - here is a thread that has pictures of their back yard: //www.city-data.com/forum/houst...ng-aliana.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating