Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:13 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,463 times

Advertisements

I have wooden Bamboo toothbrushes, soft, that I purchase at my local healthfood store. I think I paid around $3. I really like them. Very gentle on the teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 PM

335 posts, read 619,897 times
I used to think my mother was crazy when she insisted on tissue box covers so that it would match the decor of the bathroom. Now that I am older and wiser, I must have them too!

I never thought much about the toothbrush thing. I guess since we use Sonicare? Or because the toothbrushes are so small, compared to the other things in the bathroom? I guess if you're going to start matching toothbrushes to decor, you may as well start designing hairspray and deodorant bottles to match as well?

The prints on paper towels and napkins drive me nuts. Not that it's such high quality stuff to begin with, but the prints make it look even more cheap.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:52 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Don't go giving the OP any ideas!
OH aye the toilet tissue must match and not clash. and I hide shampoo bottles in the cupboard if they dont go with towels... saddo.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:11 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I hate the toothbrushes that do not fit thru the holes in my toothbrush / cup holder, it really annoys me. I also hate all the neon colors as well.

I too wish I could get "rubbed oiled bronze" tooth brushes to match my decor.

"Scotts" terlet paper used to come in beige, and it matched so good, now I have to have white.

I remember when "Bounty" came in mauve back in the 90's, but I too like another poster said, get plain white. I don't like the patterns either.

such troubles in life. LOL.......

Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 AM

152 posts, read 221,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
I think people moved away from colored toilet paper because it could contribute to urinary track infections.
somewhere way back in my fuzzy memory, I recall being told colored toilet tissue could be bad for the septic system. As for the toothbrushes, buy in bulk and just throw them away. Always put the toilet seat down before flushing to keep droplets or spray in the commode. Very funny topic. Thanks to original poster for a light topic. Oh, and I buy patterned paper towels at Christmas time

Old 01-15-2014, 12:20 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Come on people. I admitted this is not a huge problem in life.

I only said it's something that gets on my nerves. You'd think there would be nice subdued colors or even neutrals available in the stores like Target and Walmart.

I was only wondering if others got irked by it like I do, and I learned that yes, some people do agree. There's niche in the toothbrush market that isn't being filled. Perfectly acceptable thread topic. I never claimed that it was important to the very core of my being.

And by the way, toilet paper is white, a neutral. It doesn't come in "mandatory" gaudy bright colors, or I'd complain about that too. My hair brushes are in neutral colors, not hot pink or neon. A bottle of shampoo doesn't sit out where it can clash with everything.
I knew you were going to get a lot of blow back for this question. I'm just surprised we got to page two before reading the ever-so-popular "first-world problem" insult.

I agree completely that it's irksome. Every time I buy toothbrushes it annoys me. I knew a long time ago it's possible to buy attractive toothbrushes because when I used to go to NYC a lot, I shopped at Caswell-Massey, the famous apothecary shop, and they sold them. The store sold many different kinds like tortoise pattern, metallic, some that looked like bakelite, etc. But on their website they only sell bamboo ones. At least their price — $14 for four brushes — beats nine dollars or more.
Deprecated Browser Error

My assumption about toothbrushes is they are marketed as a family item. Back in the day, when people typically had many children and one bathroom, everyone having his or her own toothbrush in an easily recognizable color was an issue. I know because we had five people sharing one bathroom (is THAT a first-world problem, I wonder?). My mother used to buy the same brand all the time so we were assigned a never-changing color that we kids would not forget.

Back when I lived in Pittsburgh, there was a local drug chain that sold a Steelers toothbrush. It was clear plastic and the handle had the word "Steelers" printed in the black typeface the team uses with a barely recognizable team logo. I used to buy them because they were much more discreet-looking than ones that are purple or magenta.

I'm really surprised that some big personal care products company like Proctor & Gamble or Johnson & Johnson hasn't jumped on marketing a tasteful toothbrush. How much money to they spend on tissue box designs? (BTW, TracySam, Target has some neutral color ones now that would match your bathroom, said the grrl who lives in Tucson were EVERYTHING has to be sand-colored. )

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 01-15-2014 at 12:29 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 12:30 PM

4,230 posts, read 6,905,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'm really surprised that some big personal care products company like Proctor & Gamble or Johnson hasn't jumped on this.
The market isn't big enough for a company like that probably. Niche products tend to come best from small companies. A company like P&G is going to make products that have mass market appeal and mass chance for revenue. That's why you will see specialty companies like Anthropologie offer an item like this. Most people won't want to pay $5 for a designer toothbrush when they can pay $1 for a functional white or blue toothbrush.

Same for any other product out there. Mass market furniture? Someone like Rooms to Go or Macys or Ashley's etc. make a half-decent product for cheaper. No designer appeal but not everyone wants that. But if you want designer quality, a company like Room & Board or other manufacturer's exist to make high-quality, designer-aesthetic items for much more than the cheaper companies.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:35 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Toothbrushes are a tool, not a part of the decor.

They are stored in a cupboard, where they can clash with the NyQuil and aspirin bottles and bandage boxes to their heart's content.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:38 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,396 times
I wonder why most toothbrushes do have that white-with-dayglow neon color scheme, though?

I wonder if the white is to try and make us think "oh, that's all clean. I bet it'll get my teeth extra clean!".

Old 01-15-2014, 12:52 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I also wonder why, since toothbrushes do come in colors, why they decided to go super-bright and multi-colored? If they were going for the broadest appeal, they would go for neutrals. I don't need or want a "designer" toothbrush that's fancy and expensive, just one that's plastic, does the job, but is maybe beige. Or even clear. I'd think that clear plastic toothbrushes would sell like hotcakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating