Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,150 times

Advertisements

Fantastic work, Hopes.
That helps narrow the search tremendously. You are a genius!
Alas, the CL flutes have the same design, but the stem is smooth whereas mine has a cut crytal node at the base of the cup.
Even so, they are a very close match indeed.
Mille grazie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times
tjarado -

Those are lovely stems.

They could very well be ABP - or they could be European, or more modern. Unfortunately, with all the makers of cut glass in the world, its a little difficult sometimes to identify.

Do you know anything about where they originated from? I.E. was this a wedding gift to the person you inherited them from? Were they new at that time, or was it handed down from an older relative?

Most good jewelry stores at the turn of the 20th century carried American cut glass (as well as silver wares). Sometimes a collector will be lucky enough to come across a piece that has a paper label from the jewelry store that sold it.

ABP was in its heyday before the depression - there was glass produced into the 20's, and some companies even survived a bit longer (Hawkes/Steuben survived about the longest that I'm aware of).

The company that my family collects tried to survive into the depression (they paid their workers in glass, because they had no money) - but just couldn't make it. (Reports of workers smashing the punchbowls/pitchers they were paid with because how could glass feed their children?)

The "recipe" for the ABP glass has been a long sought mystery. No one knows exactly what mixture of lead, etc.. was used to produce such brilliantly clear glass. Many of the glass cutters of that period were European immigrants (heavy german/irish contingent) and many cutters moved between the glass houses.

The flashed star of your piece is a typical motif that was used. The names of the motifs are not really standardized, so you just have to learn to interpret. Though a "hobstar" (which I don't believe is your star) is the one thing most can agree on.

A lot of the European glass of similar time periods is more Naturalistic patterns (florals/leaves/etc..). The American glass was known for its heavy geometric patterns. Though of course there are exceptions to both of those statements.

Your stem is lovely, but very simple. Additionally it looks like a taller champagne stem, and I believe that was a later champagne shape (many champagnes at the start of the 20th century were flatter and more "saucer" shaped). So your glass could be a bit more modern - but is lovely no matter what time period its from. The faceted connector in your stem really sets it apart as a very nice piece. (Obviously that took more work/time/detail to make than a plain stem would, and therefore yours would have been a more quality piece)

I hope you find a satisfactory match to your set, but even if you don't, perhaps you'll find some lovely salad/dessert plates, or a set of water goblets, etc.. that you'll enjoy and you'll be bitten by the glass bug as so many others have been!

Happy hunting!

Old 01-16-2014, 05:51 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,150 times
To All Ye Who Have Posted Here: Replacement.com has id'd the champagne flute as being of the style (Drum roll, please..)

Harmony pattern by Bohemia Cryst

Here is a sample of the matching wine glass:

Wine Glass in the Harmony pattern by Bohemia Cryst (*ima)

I think it's the facetted connector in the stem, which Briolat21 pointed out, that I find so attractive and unusual.

Unfortunately, they have none in stock. Yet.

But the successful pursuit of the information is still very satisfying.

Thanks to EVERYONE who gave me aid and info.

I love CD!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-16-2014, 05:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Ha! I thought people were inaccurately selling it as Boehmia because the bowl had a Lausitzer label on it.

Even though they don't have it, they will have it eventually. Just hide that odd one somewhere for now.

That's great news!!!!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:14 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,430 times
Go to Replacememts.com. The company is very helpful and has everything. Good luck !

Old 01-19-2014, 05:55 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks so much for the link!

I have this beautiful German china set for 12 (very few pieces missing) and none of my daughters want it. Maybe this place will buy it. I can't take it with me and would rather have some $$ now LOL.

Would be a shame to put it out at some tag sale later on; I know it was expensive.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:56 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
To All Ye Who Have Posted Here: Replacement.com has id'd the champagne flute as being of the style (Drum roll, please..)

Harmony pattern by Bohemia Cryst

Here is a sample of the matching wine glass:

Wine Glass in the Harmony pattern by Bohemia Cryst (*ima)

I think it's the facetted connector in the stem, which Briolat21 pointed out, that I find so attractive and unusual.

Unfortunately, they have none in stock. Yet.

But the successful pursuit of the information is still very satisfying.

Thanks to EVERYONE who gave me aid and info.

I love CD!!!!!!!!!!!
That's really great that they found it! Yes - I agree - the faceted connector in the stem really sets those pieces apart and makes them especially eye-catching. Replacements is great (mom used to use them for an antique china pattern) - no doubt they will be in touch when they have the piece you're in need of.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:02 PM

35 posts, read 78,268 times
Default 3 Mystery Crystal Patterns - Help please

Hi All,

I've inherited these two sets. I've searched all over and cannot identify the patterns. Can anyone help?

Thank you so much!
Brenda
Attached Thumbnails
Can you identify this lead crystal glass pattern?-20170304_140924.jpg   Can you identify this lead crystal glass pattern?-20170304_145142.jpg  

Old 03-04-2017, 07:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's typical for Polish crystals, old fashioned/classic, though.
I also saw some in crystals from Czech Republic.
Kryszta
krysztalowe - porównanie cen, opinie
It will be probably hard to find exactly the same, they are all handcrafted, and style change with the time.
You might check on ebay or allegro.
If you have Tuesday Morning nearby, check there - they sell lots of crystals from Poland.

Here are similar, although not the same:
Kieliszki kryszta
Kieliszki kryszta
http://tablica.pl/oferta/kieliszki-i...e-ID491dz.html
You took the words right out of my mouth - it looks eastern European to me.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:20 PM

35 posts, read 78,268 times
Thanks Kathryn. Do you mean both of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating