Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 04:52 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

Natural will always be in style. If you are a seller, there will be some buyers who will not like your choices, but so what? You cannot please everyone.
Buy what you like, keep your choices to true, high quality natural, finishes that make you feel good. ***k everyone else, especially HGTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 10:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
After years of the dreary dark cherry cabinets, dark granite, cold steel, I predict a return to "lightness", and that includes golden oak and light pine, and white appliances, maybe even off-white (somewhat like Bisque - Gasp!), and even colored appliances, only with modern touches and styling.
My 11 year old kitchen has light maple cabs. All of the kitchens that I have seen in my subdivision have the same. I don't think light cabs are particularly trendy right now.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:41 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I love the look of natural pine, but I'm in the minority I think.
I like it also.

I wouldn't get it though, but i do like it.

I absolutely do not like the SS fridge with natural pine cabinetry, it doesn't match, I think black would look better.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:44 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My 11 year old kitchen has light maple cabs. All of the kitchens that I have seen in my subdivision have the same. I don't think light cabs are particularly trendy right now.
It doesn't really matter.

Only HGTV tell us what is in style now, (not that we care)

but whats in style now will not be in style 5 years from now.

so you are safe and have nothing to worry about

Old 07-03-2014, 05:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It's SO annoying to see how contrived these trends are. Formica in... again? Well, at least they aren't white like back in the '80s... instead they are dark... like the '70's. This merry-go-round kitchen trend thing has to stop...

We just bought a house that has golden oak cabinets and light Corian countertops. Considering the turnaround for trends, our kitchen should be high style again in the late 2020s.
LOL you got that right - don't change a thing!

We just bought an immaculately maintained house that was built in the mid 1990s. As you can imagine, it is filled to the brim with polished brass fixtures - all top quality and in excellent shape - and all bright, shiny gold brass.

At first, my preconditioned mind was rebelling against these fixtures, even though they are perfectly suited to the "Low Country" Southern Living style home which is very traditional and a bit formal, with arched doorways and ten foot ceilings and tons of crown molding. Still...POLISHED BRASS? SOOOOO out of fashion! Wow, it was a pity to have to change all that out...

Till it occurred to me - we don't HAVE to change it out! They are beautiful fixtures, they are in excellent shape, and they match the style of the home. So we decided to save a TON of money by not throwing away and replacing perfectly good, well made and well proportioned fixtures.

Polished brass it is! And now that I've lived with it all for a few weeks, I am very pleased. And I have more money than I would have...money I can use to build a firepit and enhance the patio..yes!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Looks pretty cool. Definitely a modern style look.

What is the vent grill on the stool side behind the cabinet for?
Interesting that you should ask this. For some reason that was the very first thing I saw in that photo. I had the same question immediately.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:53 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Not white anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting that you should ask this. For some reason that was the very first thing I saw in that photo. I had the same question immediately.
The vent has been painted brown.
Almost invisible now.
White was what the builder did. He actually painted the grills black in the next 3 houses he built because we told all his customers about ours.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The vent has been painted brown.
Almost invisible now.
White was what the builder did. He actually painted the grills black in the next 3 houses he built because we told all his customers about ours.
So many builders just don't think about these kinds of things. For instance, when they install AC controls - often they will put them in a very conspicuous place, right in the middle of a wide wall or in the living room (when an inconspicuous hallway or nook somewhere else would be perfectly fine).

Old 07-04-2014, 03:24 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
My cabinets are Formica.
Very trendy.

Beautiful kitchen!

I'm looking to do something very similar with my kitchen except either white uppers or no uppers.

I think it'd look great in the particular style of home I have (mid-century modern).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating