Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 AM

30,344 posts, read 16,082,314 times

Advertisements

Guess that's a local term-I've also heard it called mudding but I'm talking about the white stuff you put between sheet rock/dry wall.

Someone posted a while back they bought a gizmo to remove the white powder made while sanding. I thought I'd written it down but guess not and now I can't find the post.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 11:20 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,991,677 times
In the middle of remodel right now. My husband, in an effort to help me with the oh so messy dust from sanding down the mud on the walls has duct taped the end of the wet dry vac to the sander. It does help a lot along with putting plastic over the doors to somewhat limit the dust dispersal. Also, consider using a box fan in the window turned backwards. It will help suck out the dust.

We've been living in the middle of renovation for a while now (never again!!) and I've learned a lot of little tricks to help me not go insane.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:58 AM

maybe you should start a topic: tips on remodeling and maintaining sanity.

If that's possible.

Thanks for the on the wet dry vac. Have done the fan thing-never thought of plastic.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:17 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,991,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
maybe you should start a topic: tips on remodeling and maintaining sanity.

If that's possible.

Thanks for the on the wet dry vac. Have done the fan thing-never thought of plastic.
Oh I wish that I were always so cool and collected but nope, that would be a lie. There's times where you just have to get away from it all - the mess, the disorganization, etc. We've got the floors throughout the house coming up soon. Dreading that! Although drywall dust is an insidious thing so you have my sympathy. It truly can get everywhere. Months later, you find it in the oddest places.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:30 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,582,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Guess that's a local term-I've also heard it called mudding but I'm talking about the white stuff you put between sheet rock/dry wall.

Someone posted a while back they bought a gizmo to remove the white powder made while sanding. I thought I'd written it down but guess not and now I can't find the post.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I've found the shop vac attachment to be ineffective at eliminating the joint compound dust.

They make joint compound that supposedly doesn't produce much airborne dust when sanded, but its more expensive. Don't know whether its dust free or not.

Spackle dust is pretty easy to clean up. Just be glad it isn't dust from horsehair plaster that sticks to everything like glue and requires multiple cleanings to remove all residue.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:33 PM

684 posts, read 636,777 times
You can also try sanding the dry mud [joint compound] with a damp wash cloth or rag.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:59 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,774,799 times
I remember the post you are talking about. Can't find it right now either, but I believe it was a SandKleen kit they were talking about.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 PM

4,621 posts, read 12,252,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
I've found the shop vac attachment to be ineffective at eliminating the joint compound dust.

They make joint compound that supposedly doesn't produce much airborne dust when sanded, but its more expensive. Don't know whether its dust free or not.

Spackle dust is pretty easy to clean up. Just be glad it isn't dust from horsehair plaster that sticks to everything like glue and requires multiple cleanings to remove all residue.
There's more truth to this post than most realize. I'd be on jobs where the customer would demand vacuum sanders, and it does help some, but you still have the same amount of cleanup. A little bit of dust must be cleaned the same as a lot of dust. In containment we would use negative air machines that would filter air outside and maintain a negative balance in the work zone not too allow it to escape.

My advice is to do the job and clean up the mess without awkward devices that slow down the process and stretch it out longer.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:17 PM

thanks, Bydand-I think that's it!

(Glad someone else remembers that post too. )

Not as concerned about clean-up as about breathing it in. Don't really want to wear a mask all day and night.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:30 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,416,859 times
it was the drywall mud bong (as DH likes to call it) made by SandKleen and it works a charm !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating