Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 11:50 AM

675 posts, read 1,699,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Do you have a stone pattern? That is what the vinyl in the baths look like now so if I change it, it will have to be a different look or it is worth less to me. One of the tiles I looked at was a more solid pattern and I am thinking that the lines would be very noticeable.
I do - camera on the blink so I can't provide a photo - it looks a bit like this: Shop STAINMASTER 18-In x 18-In Crushed Shell Stone Finish Luxury Vinyl Tile at Lowes.com

There is a bit of a texture to it, it's not glossy flat which I think is what differentiates it from old school vinyl. It has a nice thick feel underfoot when you're standing on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 12:30 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Yes, that is quite similar to the vinyl on the floor now except there is a "grout like" line around each "Square".

Old 02-04-2014, 05:36 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
I do - camera on the blink so I can't provide a photo - it looks a bit like this: Shop STAINMASTER 18-In x 18-In Crushed Shell Stone Finish Luxury Vinyl Tile at Lowes.com

There is a bit of a texture to it, it's not glossy flat which I think is what differentiates it from old school vinyl. It has a nice thick feel underfoot when you're standing on it.
I think the Lowes checkerboard sheet vinyl looks good to me. Would I have to remove my existing stone tile first, or could I just lay the vinyl floor directly on top of it?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:04 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
I live in a country where wooden floors are far less often seen, and tile, marble and other stone are the norm. Vinyl? I honestly think people would think that you were trying to pull a fast one.

I much prefer the stone and tile, much easier to keep clean and it wears better than vinyl.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:41 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I live in a country where wooden floors are far less often seen, and tile, marble and other stone are the norm. Vinyl? I honestly think people would think that you were trying to pull a fast one.

I much prefer the stone and tile, much easier to keep clean and it wears better than vinyl.
I will give you that it wears better than vinyl. Nothing is easier to clean than vinyl however, there is no grout to discolor or have to clean. Stone is much colder in the winter and much harder on the back and legs. I also find that there is zero chance that a cup or glass survives on stone where as both vinyl and hard wood I would give 60/40 breakage. Again, this is my experience.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:05 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Our first house had what I think was actual linoleum in the kitchen, thick rubbery black and white checked like an old restaurant or grocery store floor. Loved it and it was cute in our 40s cottage.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:25 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

I'm not trying to pull a fast one or pull anyone's leg either. Just stating my personal preferences and was wondering
why the vinyl flooring has fallen so out of favor. I have to disagree that stone is definitely not easy to keep clean. That's mainly why I prefer the vinyl. It cleans up way easier than stone or even ceramic tile. It's not as cold or slippery and as someone else said, things don't break as easily on it. I wish there were more choices for it out there for those of us who prefer it to harder tile.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:32 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Our first house had what I think was actual linoleum in the kitchen, thick rubbery black and white checked like an old restaurant or grocery store floor. Loved it and it was cute in our 40s cottage.
Next home we get I plan on good old linoleum just like my parents had in the 50's for many reasons.
Here's some links with pics (some good ideas too).

How to Choose Linoleum?

Linoleum floor tiles

Old 03-15-2014, 07:55 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Default You mean 'bone-breaking' tile vs comfort step vinyl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
It used to be taken for granted that the kitchen floor (and maybe the bathroom floor) had linoleum. But the place I moved into in 2001 had all ceramic tile, not just in the kitchen, but every last room. Cold white slippery noisy tiles everywhere. And so many broken cups there that never broke before. Then in 2005, I moved to another place that had moldy carpeting in most rooms, but stone tile in the entryway, kitchen and bathroom. The carpet had to go as the mold got to be just too much for me and my cat had a flea problem at the time, so wood-looking hard flooring replaced it. I highly doubt it was real wood. The stone tile was nearly impossible to clean or keep clean! Now I've just moved into a better home, where the carpeted areas are fresh, the cat has good flea medicing and the kitchen has linoleum flooring. That kitchen floor is so much easier to clean! Unfortunately, the 2 bathrooms have stone flooring that I'd really like to replace with linoleum. In my newspaper, there are all these ads for flooring stores and contractors, but they only advertize carpet, ceramic tile, stone tile and maybe the faux wood slats. Why not linoleum? Why has the popularity of ceramic and stone tile usurped that of linoleum? I like linoleum so much better!
OMG,I know what you mean! I love vinyl floors and/or bamboo floors,really about any others... except I detest those hard concrete,and tile,which are bone breakers,not to mention everything else dropped on them!

I would also like to see those hard floors outlawed in senior housing!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 03-15-2014 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating