Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,476 times

Advertisements

My DD is about to downsize to a smaller apartment after living in a house with three roommates.

One probelm she is facing is where to put the litter box. She doesn't want it out in the open, aka in the living room, dining room or kitchen, and her new bathroom is too small. The house she lived in had a utility room, but unfortunately she will not have this luxury in her new place.

Have any of you come up with creative ideas to keep the litter box unobtrusive?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 10:14 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
My daughter has one in a walk-in closet in a 2nd bedroom...no other space available. Is there space under the kitchen sink?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:16 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,514 times
When we lived in rentals which that set-up - we've used a coat closet. What we've done is - remove the original door and bought a replacement door. Then we cut a hole in the replacement door and installed a cat door in it. That way we could keep the closet door closed (cutting down on smell, looking at the box and water/food, having one of them use the box in front of guests) but they could get in and out to their stuff. Taking care of them was easy since I could just open closet door. We'd store the LL's orginal door and rehang before we'd leave. Take our door with us and repeat at next rental....

We lived one place that didn't have a coat closet and did the above for the under the sink counter in the bathroom....

Old 01-31-2014, 10:39 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
When we lived in rentals which that set-up - we've used a coat closet. What we've done is - remove the original door and bought a replacement door. Then we cut a hole in the replacement door and installed a cat door in it. That way we could keep the closet door closed (cutting down on smell, looking at the box and water/food, having one of them use the box in front of guests) but they could get in and out to their stuff. Taking care of them was easy since I could just open closet door. We'd store the LL's orginal door and rehang before we'd leave. Take our door with us and repeat at next rental....

We lived one place that didn't have a coat closet and did the above for the under the sink counter in the bathroom....
That is a great idea and I may do it too! I rent and have 2 cats in a 1 bedroom argg
thanks!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:50 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post

Great idea!!! I live in a small house with three kitties and a dog, and while I have space for the litter box, I have to "fence it off" with a baby gate so that the dog doesn't do what dogs frequently do when they have access to cat "delicacies"!

Old 01-31-2014, 11:41 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,741,810 times
I live in a fairly small space myself, and my solution is to use a piece of furniture that hides the litter box. Mine is in my living room and is quite unobtrusive.

I use one of these as an end table next to my sofa and people almost never realize it hides the cat pan. I keep a lamp and a stack of artsy/coffee table books on top, and some decorative storage boxes on the little shelf. I have a friend who has one and uses it as her TV stand (cable box and DVD player on the little shelf).

They make a large size (currently out of stock) as well as a smaller size. I like the large one because the interior also has room for the scoop and the container of unused litter.

I've looked at all kinds of different litter box furniture and I think these were the most attractive. They're a bit pricy but I've been impressed with the quality.

Oh, and I've never had a problem with the odor, but I scoop 2x a day, change the litter frequently, etc.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:46 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
We lived in a small condo and had a very large drawer in the bottom of our linen closet that we put a cat door on and made into a built in littler box. It was awesome!

We used our coat closet when we lived in a small apartment.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:05 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,741,810 times
If you have a 2nd bathroom, you could also modify one of the vanity cabinet doors to add a cat door or even just a cat-sized opening, and keep the litter box there. One of my brothers did this in his previous house.

You probably wouldn't want to do this if you only have one bathroom though, you'd lose some good storage space.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:08 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
We have our covered litter box in the bathroom and it has never caused an issue with any of our guests.
It is cleaned all the time but the litter part itself is covered, well worth the investment in the covered litter box.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:27 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,609 times
When I had a studio apt in NYC I put the cat box in the bathtub

I had a separate shower stall and never took baths so it worked. Very easy to clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating