Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 PM

25 posts, read 95,003 times

Advertisements

We are currently renovating a house from the 1950s. It has hardwood floor in the living room and bed rooms. Needless to say that the floor have seen better times. We are now planning to refinish the floors and would have the option to stain the wood before the top coats are applied.

The house is an investment property and will be rented and later sold.

If the floor is stained it will have the same color for all rooms. I am not sure about the color it should get.
We plan to paint the walls in a color ranging between light beige to yellow-/orange-ish, baseboards and door trims white.
The main question is should the floor get dark or bright. I am concerned that a dark stained floor will make the rooms look dark or perhaps appear smaller. On the other hand dark wood seems to be liked by a lot of people.

What do you think ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 07:37 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
If the wood type is all the same wood you can just put poly on them and they will have the same color in all the rooms after they are sanded. That's the beauty of having wood floors. There is no reason to stain the floors.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:46 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Don't stain them at all; just seal them. Dark floors are a fad that will go away eventually.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:01 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,805 times
Scratches on unstained hardwood are much easier to repair, which you are going to need to do if this is to be a rental unit for any period of time. We have natural white oak floors with a matte, water-based poly for a topcoat and it's super easy to repair even deep scratches left by our kids/pets. If the floor were stained these repairs would stand out like a sore thumb.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:23 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Rental property- KISS!

Sand and poly, call it a day! After the 1st renter moves out, you'll see why.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:39 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
If you have a reliable and inexpensive floor guy, stain the wood. If if not, then just poly the wood floor and be done.

Of course, if you are trying to attract a high end renter and the rest of your finishings in the house are expensive looking then you will need to stain the floor. The average renter will just be happy with wood floors and you won't need to bother.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:47 PM

25 posts, read 95,003 times
Thanks for your input. Looking at potential repairs some of you brought up the floor will be just sanded and coated, no stain.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:46 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
When I originally bought my apartment, I had light gray parquet floors installed, circa 1990.....about 12 years ago I had all the floors re-sanded and I stained them myself a "jacobean", by minwax. They are a very dark chocolate brown, and then I polyed them with a matte finish.

I absolutely love them. I like the dark floors very much and would never live with natural just polyed floors. I do not like, however any reddish or orangeish colored wood. I also do not like blonde natural wood either, but this is really a personal preference as everyone likes different home things.

oh wait, i just re read your post.
a rental.

just sand and poly and call it a day.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:44 PM

347 posts, read 1,282,153 times
If possible use oil-based poly.

The refinisher that restored my oak floors has 30 years experience.

he's won't put down water based poly if you asked him.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:18 PM

14 posts, read 11,199 times
Hardwood guy here, on the poly note oil vs water, oil is better than 'most' water based polys with a few exceptions, one of these exceptions is a product called bona traffic its a great finish just pricey. My dad was the same way as your guy (im 3rd gen floor sander/refinisher) this poly grew on him so much we put it on his floor. Think what really get's them its totally different procedure which is a pain to learn after doing it the other way so long. Just my 2 cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating