Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:04 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times

Advertisements

I am moving into a townhouse in a month and need ideas for the kitchen..
I am trying to keep the cost down to below 10 K but warm up the kitchen

The whole townhouse except bath & kitchen has medium dark (wood looking ) pergo floors. Would not be my choice over real wood but they do look nice.

The kitchen is now white/white/white !!!! White linolium floor , white appliances, white thermo wrapped cabinets & white laminite counters....

My style is wood, farmhouse kitchens, casual, natural & functional, simple & no busy patterns..I love to cook...
The layout is okay with the addition of a counter height table/island...

So for flooring I wonder what would look okay to blend with pergo wood that is everywhere else..I would do the kitchen in the same pergo as the house but I read that pergo is not a good choice in the kitchen & bath...

I am thinking a natural looking tile, leave white cabinets, granite counter & paint that goes with counter & tile...

Need ideas, design is not my strength !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:09 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Do you have any pictures at all?

Old 02-12-2014, 11:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
White cabinets are great for a farmhouse kitchen. Tile is the best flooring option since you have Pergo throughout the house because it would look weird to have a real hardwood floor in the kitchen. Must you do granite? It's not really farmhouse-y. Go with quartz instead. That way you can select a pattern that isn't as busy as granite. Also consider soapstone. It's a classic farmhouse countertop material.

I'm currently installing white cabinets in my kitchen. I have beige walls and wide white trim. I plan to install slate floor, but haven't decided between grey or earth tone. Whichever I select, the counter will be a different shade of the same color family as the floor. I was leaning towards the earth tones to "warm it up" like you, but my girlfriend pointed out that she thought it was silly to try to warm up a white kitchen. She loves the look of grey and white. The only thing holding me back is having a dog and the dog hair will be noticeable on a grey floor.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:13 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
To be honest I myself would live in the place for a few months before making any huge changes.
For a temporary fix add color to the rooms with accessories such as draperies, towels, throws, pillows, artwork, cushions on dining chairs, etc.
Things like that add color, are cost effective and can be changed quickly and easily. Then in a few months or a year see what you really don't like and cannot live with and make your change then.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
To be honest I myself would live in the place for a few months before making any huge changes.
For a temporary fix add color to the rooms with accessories such as draperies, towels, throws, pillows, artwork, cushions on dining chairs, etc.
Things like that add color, are cost effective and can be changed quickly and easily. Then in a few months or a year see what you really don't like and cannot live with and make your change then.
good suggestion !!

Old 02-12-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
White cabinets are great for a farmhouse kitchen. Tile is the best flooring option since you have Pergo throughout the house because it would look weird to have a real hardwood floor in the kitchen. Must you do granite? It's not really farmhouse-y. Go with quartz instead. That way you can select a pattern that isn't as busy as granite. Also consider soapstone. It's a classic farmhouse countertop material.

I'm currently installing white cabinets in my kitchen. I have beige walls and wide white trim. I plan to install slate floor, but haven't decided between grey or earth tone. Whichever I select, the counter will be a different shade of the same color family as the floor. I was leaning towards the earth tones to "warm it up" like you, but my girlfriend pointed out that she thought it was silly to try to warm up a white kitchen. She loves the look of grey and white. The only thing holding me back is having a dog and the dog hair will be noticeable on a grey floor.
I love soapstone, but don't know much about it..Googling now..

Old 02-12-2014, 11:27 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
You really should get your address off of this post immediately.

For those of you who did not see it, the original poster by mistake had her address on one of her posts so I told her she should remove that post.
Hence the reason this post of mine makes no sense when you see it.

Last edited by CSD610; 02-12-2014 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: Added an explaination for this post.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You really should get your address off of this post immediately.

For those of you who did not see it, the original poster by mistake had her address on one of her posts so I told her she should remove that post.
Hence the reason this post of mine makes no sense when you see it.
haha..Thanks
You could delete your post now and this post of mine would make no sense !!!

Old 02-13-2014, 12:03 AM

The kitchen does not seem big enough for an island and a table, and the open floor plan of the living room allows a large dining table.

So I am playing with the idea of a counter height table in the kitchen to serve as an island & more seating
both..I call it a table/island...

Also thinking about butcher block countertops..

Old 02-13-2014, 07:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
So I am playing with the idea of a counter height table in the kitchen to serve as an island & more seating
both..I call it a table/island...
I'd be more likely to use a table as a prep area if it was counter height. When looking at counter height table, also look at table islands. Long and narrow will look more farmhouse than those square counter height tables you see everywhere. I saw one picture once (can't find it now) that had a counter height table and a regular height table that could slide under the counter height table when extra seating wasn't needed. Both where white with butcher block tops. I can't do the counter height table because my husband doesn't want to sit on a high stool/chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Also thinking about butcher block countertops..
I'm seriously considering butcher block too. I posted in a recent pros/cons thread that I was definitively doing it. Now I'm a bit more indecisive, but only because I'm concerned about my husband being able to install it properly. If I can find a professional installation, I'm all for butcher block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating