Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:08 PM

270 posts, read 593,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I know many very good cooks who have never cared about high end appliances... myself included.
And the ones I know, including Italian and French chefs, do. So, what's the point? I am the one spending the money and I care. That's all that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 12:12 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Indeed!

But your comment "I'm a very good cook, so high end appliances matter to me." implies that high end matters to all good cooks. I was simply saying that it does not.

Perhaps you can ask your Italian and French friends what they have... or take note next time you are at their home. They would have better advice than a decorating board....

Old 02-24-2014, 12:16 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
PS; I'm still a lousy cook anyway, so if it were "GE" or "Sub Whatever" "Viking", my food still sucks, and reservations are always a better alternative.
Especially if you get your maid to make them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
I'm a very good cook, so high end appliances matter to me.
Expensive appliances do not always equate good cooking; good cooks do not necessarily need expensive appliances.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:27 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
We have had numerous problems with a GE oven. I would have replaced it, but it is built in and I had issues replacing the GE microwave that was installed above the oven. The regular oven has a circuit board that has gone bad 3-4 times. They have to send a service man out to look at it before they will order the part. He then has to schedule a return visit to install it. The board is $150 and there is a charge for the service call. Also having a problem with the GE gas stove top with the starters not working intermittently.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Perhaps you can ask your Italian and French friends what they have... or take note next time you are at their home. They would have better advice than a decorating board....
I already did. They have mostly German brands and Italian/French for the small things like pans, pots, etc.

Yes, you need high quality appliances for several cooking techniques. Like a convection oven, steam oven, sous vide water oven and, of course, a good fridge.

I've asked some of the builders we considered about a build in steam oven. None of them had ever heard of that before.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:48 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,382 times
Be careful with Viking, they are over rated and over priced. Agree Bosch and LG are good brands, Samsung are up and coming, with good reliability. GE, Kenmore, Frigidaire, and a few more brands are made by the same manufacturers, that's why they behave the same. We broke out of that mould and bought Bosch and Samsung and when our Kenmore fridge dies, it won't be another Kenmore, that's for sure.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:14 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
See...and I am different. That's why I was asking here and think I got some qualified answers. I wouldn't post in a car forum to tell them that I don't care about cars and my rusty bike is fine enough for me.

I'm a very good cook, so high end appliances matter to me.
I'm sure you are, but my point I was trying to make, which most of my friends here "got", was that it is still a flame, a GE flame is the same as a Viking flame, anyone that tells you different is lying. I'm sure if you cooked on my GE profile stove your meal would taste just as good as if it was cooked on a Viking Stove.

and FWIW, my cousin has a 6 burner viking stove, a sub zero fridge, bla, bla, bla....she made us a meal, and if I didn't see the stove in her brand new kitchen, I would have sworn it was cooked on a regular stove, not a high end (expensive) stove. It didn't make the food taste any better....and the soda in her Sub-Zero fridge was just as cold as mine in my Amana.

The point I am making, is, I think, JMO, but I think all this "high end" expensive appliances is purely a "status" symbol, that some people feel they must have in order to be .....something.....
It seems only since HGTV has become popular, appliances seem like the most important thing on earth.

An oven is an oven, it has flames and heat and does the same thing. It only seems as of latley that "high end", meaning "expensive" appliances seem to be wanted for some reason, and I am thinking the reason is status.
We hear the HGTV people constantly say, Oh we have to upgrade to SS....upgrade my ass, all it means is changing colors......

Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I know many very good cooks who have never cared about high end appliances... myself included.

Sounds like you need to pass on the appliances and buy what suits you.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Indeed!

But your comment "I'm a very good cook, so high end appliances matter to me." implies that high end matters to all good cooks. I was simply saying that it does not.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
An oven is an oven, it has flames and heat and does the same thing. It only seems as of latley that "high end", meaning "expensive" appliances seem to be wanted for some reason, and I am thinking the reason is status.
We hear the HGTV people constantly say, Oh we have to upgrade to SS....upgrade my ass, all it means is changing colors......
That's like saying a car is a car, cause all have 4 tires.

It's not! Maybe a cooktop, but even there are big differences when it comes to size, cleaning, functions. But ovens are not ovens. You can't compare a steam oven with a convection one. Or a microwave oven with a sous vide. I can't care less about countertops or cabinet colors, but the appliances are my tools. And like the most craftsman, the quality of the tools is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating