Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 11:53 AM

4,231 posts, read 6,907,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
For the record, I'd totally be buying high end appliances if I had the money!

I'd seriously research GE's high end appliance line before ruling GE out entirely as subpar.
I agree. If we had more money I would totally buy some too

I do agree though that I know many friends who are quite happy with the higher end GE appliances like the Monogram series. I have no personal experience though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 11:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
The funny thing is, Germans are known for being very envious and get frustrated lightly when somebody wants more than average. They always tell us how open minded, easy going and absolutely different US Americans are (when it comes to this). I experience the completely opposite here...
City-data isn't representative of real life population. Some people are debaters here. They zeroed in on your illogical comment that good cooks need high end appliances. You just ended up in a pissing match over that. If you had said you wanted high end appliances simply because you like the way they look, nobody would have cared.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:12 PM

270 posts, read 593,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you had said you wanted high end appliances simply because you like the way they look, nobody would have cared.

But I would have been lying, cause I do believe they are better, that you need them to complete/complement good cooking skills (which is not illogical at all to a foodie) and I don't care in the slightest how they look.

Thanks again for all the qualified, helpful advises some of you gave. I'll take them in consideration.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:50 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
It would be quite depressing if 99,999% of people couldn't tell the difference between steamed, baked, grilled
or sous vide made meals. I'm talking mainly ovens, not stove tops. Even there are huge differences. If you don't see that, please don't bother answering my question. Which wasn't if I need such an oven, if name brands are worth the money, etc. I asked specifically about experiences with GE and how they rank compared to Wolff, Viking, Miele...

I wouldn't go to a designer clothing forum and tell the people they don't need a Louis bag, one from Walmart would do it, cause they are just handbags after all and nobody will see the difference.
Um, you left out the part of my quote where I ANSWERED you about the one GE appliance I bought. You clearly (in your OP) were at least open to discussing appliances that don't cost a small fortune, but since then you seem to be suggesting that anything other than insanely expensive appliances must be crap. GE isn't (usually) crap (and I don't consider a $2,000 refrigerator cheap!).

Old 02-25-2014, 01:08 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Um, you left out the part of my quote where I ANSWERED you about the one GE appliance I bought. You clearly (in your OP) were at least open to discussing appliances that don't cost a small fortune, but since then you seem to be suggesting that anything other than insanely expensive appliances must be crap. GE isn't (usually) crap (and I don't consider a $2,000 refrigerator cheap!).

neither do I,

and for the record I can't imagine what any refridgerator can do to warrant that price.

does it perform magic?

Old 02-25-2014, 01:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
and for the record I can't imagine what any refridgerator can do to warrant that price.

does it perform magic?
They are generally larger and have more drawers and shelves. I'd love to own a full refrigerator without a freezer---similar to how there are full freezers. But there aren't any with drawers until you get into the high end models. They just have wire racks at the $1,000 price point.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:18 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
neither do I,

does it perform magic?
Have you priced refrigerators lately? A decent French door will easily run you $2,000. A built in or counter depth, even more. Honestly, that's not even top of the line at that price point. More mid to upper mid range.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:16 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times
I just bought this GE Slide In Induction electric range. My first "induction" range. Anyone else have one? I really like the warming drawer on the bottom. I was going to purchase a separate warming drawer. However, they want 1k+ for one.

I also bought the matching Dish Washer, Mircowave, wine cooler. Everything will be installed next month. I did not pay that MSRP as shown. My previous post show the costs.

Has great reviews.
PHS920SFSS | GE Profile

Last edited by Spanky25; 02-25-2014 at 05:40 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 08:32 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Have you priced refrigerators lately? A decent French door will easily run you $2,000. A built in or counter depth, even more. Honestly, that's not even top of the line at that price point. More mid to upper mid range.

I was looking at them online for shyts and giggles, I actually started to cry....2K, for a no frills fridge is pure insanity...

I hope my fridge lasts forever, because that is the last thing i would want to purchase. i think refridgerators are the ugliest thing we have in the house.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:40 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
I was looking at them online for shyts and giggles, I actually started to cry....2K, for a no frills fridge is pure insanity...

I hope my fridge lasts forever, because that is the last thing i would want to purchase. i think refridgerators are the ugliest thing we have in the house.
Yeah, appliances have gotten quite a bit more expensive. Dishwashers aren't much better. We had to buy a new frig this year. Went with a mid range french door model and it was NOT cheap. I utilize sales when possible but even then, you're talking some pretty high prices compared to old. Since I'm selling my house, I didn't want to go overboard.

I think it's because so many of the new computers have electronics which has raised the price due to the increased complexity of manufacturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating