Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we lay tiles in a diagonal pattern like the previous tile, or running even with cabinets?
Run the tile diagonal like the previous tile. 10 58.82%
Run it alligned with the cabinets. 3 17.65%
Either way would look good. 4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to lie, I like the black and white tile so much better then the new pick but since it's my kitchen, I guess I should just

I honestly can't imagine what the new tile will look like in your kitchen but I would go diagonal as I think it would make it more interesting. Post pics when it's done so we can see how it all turned out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don't like ceramic tile in a kitchen. I actually like the diagonal black and white tile with the kitchen you have. I do like ceramic tile in an entryway.
Can you tell a difference in ceramic and porcelain tile just by looking at it on the surface? Most websites I have been reading say you can't, and I recently read that a lot of "porcelain" tile isn't really porcelain at all. There is little to no regulation on what people are selling.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Can you tell a difference in ceramic and porcelain tile just by looking at it on the surface? Most websites I have been reading say you can't, and I recently read that a lot of "porcelain" tile isn't really porcelain at all. There is little to no regulation on what people are selling.
Article: How to Tell The Difference Between Porcelain and Ceramic Tiles

You Tube Video:

Ceramic or Porcelain Tile? How to Tell the Difference - YouTube

Old 03-03-2014, 05:01 PM

At 2:00, she says you can't tell the difference looking at ceramic or porcelain tile on the finished side, so my question still stands. The other poster can't really say they only have a preference for ceramic tile in an entry way if they can't even tell what they're looking at when it's installed.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
At 2:00, she says you can't tell the difference looking at ceramic or porcelain tile on the finished side, so my question still stands. The other poster can't really say they only have a preference for ceramic tile in an entry way if they can't even tell what they're looking at when it's installed.
What? Personally I like ceramic or porcelain tile in an entryway. OK?

Personally I don't like ceramic or porcelain tile in a kitchen.

I happen to have porcelain tile as counters in my kitchen. They are quite smooth and with a shine. I am told that these tiles have grain embedded in them. I believe the pattern is reproduced and embedded in each tile, but I admit I am hazy about this. They resemble stone actually, and they have narrow grout lines. The grout is epoxy grout which is resistant to discoloring. The actually make a very nice counter.

But I would not want them as floors. They would hurt my feet if I stood on them for very long, and if you drop anything breakable on them, it would shatter. This is a personal preference.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:25 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,473,675 times
I am just going to add this in since you have not decided on your flooring. I have tile in my entry way, 4 bathrooms and my kitchen in this house that we bought. This is not the first time I have had tile...but as I get older I can tell you I am so over tile. It is especially tough on my back in the kitchen and if I never have to scrub grout again in my lifetime, it will be too soon.
We are remodeling a house down south and the only tile I am considering is in the bath. We are putting vinyl planking in the kitchen. The ease of cleaning and comfort are key for me.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
At 2:00, she says you can't tell the difference looking at ceramic or porcelain tile on the finished side, so my question still stands.
Pull it out of the box and look at the side of it!

Quote:
The other poster can't really say they only have a preference for ceramic tile in an entry way if they can't even tell what they're looking at when it's installed.
I thought you wanted to know so you could be sure you were truly paying for porcelain. Now I realize you were asking about appearance. Porcelain is more durable than ceramic. Ceramic will chip and crack easier. It's more appropriate in medium traffic areas. In a kitchen, ceramic is more likely to become damaged due to dropping jars, etc.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Pull it out of the box and look at the side of it!
Again, we're talking about once it's installed. Will you be installing it on its side?

Old 03-05-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Again, we're talking about once it's installed. Will you be installing it on its side?
Go ahead. Just ignore the rest of my post.

Ceramic isn't a durable. That's why people prefer porcelain in the kitchen.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:45 AM

492 posts, read 638,067 times
I'm not a fan of grey and beige together. I like the black and white, but since that's out, I'd look for a marble and grey look tile, perhaps a 12x24, and run it aligned with the cabinets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating